"Coolest car in the country"

From my latest Classic Land Rover magazine (best auto mag I have ever subscribed to)

English hipsters moving in.

Bought my iron horse for exactly $1 in 2010. I know a real investment when I see one.

Of course they don't tell you you need a gym membership to enable you to drive a series Land Rover out of the city, let alone off road.

But a truly stylish gent has a country estate for that sort of exercise caper. Bang on and jolly good show , chaps!

IMG_7810.jpg

Must admit I have a bit of a soft spot for the series two LR.

One of my jobs in the Army was to organise vehicle's for the larger exercises. I spotted a series two sitting amongst the Perentie LR fleet before but had not payed it much attention. It looked pretty cool as it had the Camo paint job and flares just like the rest of the fleet.

Had some time to kill one day so I decided to take a closer look, pop the hood and she had a Yella Terra headed 186S under the hood with twin carbs and headers, this I had to try. 

Turned out the truck was a project by the army apprentices, I guess the only way they could keep it on the books was to have it hidden in the loan pool.

I fell in love with that little LR. She flew and man did it rev.

Even tried to buy it. 

Shame. Cause the army sold off their ladies a couple of years ago to replace them with mercs. There's a couple still driving around Canberra still in auscam.

Shame. Cause the army sold off their ladies a couple of years ago to replace them with mercs. There's a couple still driving around Canberra still in auscam.

Who can blame the AJ's selling off all the woman and replacing them with Germans.

Sorry mate. :lol:

Who can blame the AJ's selling off all the woman and replacing them with Germans.

Sorry mate. :lol:

Dont apologize to me! I'm a RAAFie!

I have fond memories of driving 100 series ladies out of the back of hercs. Almost rolled one on some remote dirt strip in western NSW....

I also have a real soft spot for the the humble Land Rover ...this little Gem was mine for 5 months when I served in Afghanistan ...........:D nick named the Spider Pig :P

SPIDER_PIG_AND_CREW.jpg

808527_aussie_soldiers.jpg

...........................:D Payed alot more than that ...........$150 a day is field allowance on top of other allowances and the basic salary .........SOTG Members are on good money but you do work for it ...........And war deployments like Afghanistan are Tax free for the period of the Tour ,,,,,you can easily finish the rotation with $60 to $70 K saved up depending on Rank and qualifications .............The war on terror paid my 997 :)

No Retired Commando did 13 years with 1 CDO Reg ,,,got out 6 years ago this September ,,,,,,,,Afghanistan  was a tough gig came home feeling 10 years older than when I left ,,5 months of 24 / 7 going flat out ,,,you physically and mentally work hard and earn every cent of your pay ,,,,,,,,,,,,I feel for many of the guy,s working in Northern Iraq currently dealing with the ongoing ISIS threat crazy times we live in.........;)

ME_THE_SPIDER_PIG.jpgphoto host

My mate made it to 12 years in the forces, incl chasing taliban when he got injured 3 years ago in Afghanistan - and got repatted out of the danger zone. But as he can't do his job any more (injured , real soldier) he's had to leave - and it's unlikely he will get a pension. Cruel.

As mentioned, my nephew got back from Afghan then more recently Iraq. He's doing it a bit tough at the moment with what he saw and had to do, so I feel for all ADF people.

He showed me some footage and pics from his helmet from his last Afghan tour. Man that was an eye opener with the amount of contact they were getting!

No Retired Commando did 13 years with 1 CDO Reg ,,,got out 6 years ago this September ,,,,,,,,Afghanistan  was a tough gig came home feeling 10 years older than when I left ,,5 months of 24 / 7 going flat out ,,,you physically and mentally work hard and earn every cent of your pay ,,,,,,,,,,,,I feel for many of the guy,s working in Northern Iraq currently dealing with the ongoing ISIS threat crazy times we live in.........;)

My memories of the LR from the Army, were it was a POS, but I got out in 2000, and it looks like the LR's have been updated a bit. I am a long retired Commando also. I was in 4RAR CDO, now 2 CDO. I got out when everything was quiet, and it didn't look like we were going anywhere. I was wrong ;) 

I was warned off ever buying an ex Army Landy (abused , rolled etc etc) , but was sorely tempted when they sold many of them off a couple of years ago.

I half thought of building an Army tribute when I rebuilt mine from the ground up , but really that would be cheesy. Not to mention expensive , with all the right gear.

Huge respect for our forces , and also all the other forces e.g. firies , police , rescue , ambo and other guys who've used Landies for decades across the country. Once you get into the history of LR , it's truly addictive - you name a variation / modification for any purpose you can think of - it's been done.

From reading Classic LR mag , plenty of people in the UK use them as wedding vehicles - and take them to the south of France on the honeymoon. That's cool!

My memories of the LR from the Army, were it was a POS, but I got out in 2000, and it looks like the LR's have been updated a bit. I am a long retired Commando also. I was in 4RAR CDO, now 2 CDO. I got out when everything was quiet, and it didn't look like we were going anywhere. I was wrong ;) 

They were still a POS on the road 4 speed box and lucky to hit 90kph down a steep hill ,,,the one I had in Afghanistan was reliable beyond belief considering some of the terrain the little bugger crossed  ,,,there was many a time I would pause and think will the car get over or through this and was amazed it always did with relative ease ,,great off road,r....Good to know you are also a former 4 RAR and 2 CDO member I am sure we know many of the same people and possibly have even worked together at some stage ,,many of my old work mates are now in their early to mid 40,s and also pulling the pin like me,,,,that life style takes a heavy toll on relationships and marriages and after multiple tours many have just had enough ...........;)

They were still a POS on the road 4 speed box and lucky to hit 90kph down a steep hill ,,,the one I had in Afghanistan was reliable beyond belief considering some of the terrain the little bugger crossed  ,,,there was many a time I would pause and think will the car get over or through this and was amazed it always did with relative ease ,,great off road,r....Good to know you are also a former 4 RAR and 2 CDO member I am sure we know many of the same people and possibly have even worked together at some stage ,,many of my old work mates are now in their early to mid 40,s and also pulling the pin like me,,,,that life style takes a heavy toll on relationships and marriages and after multiple tours many have just had enough ...........;)

We would definitely know a lot of the same people, although I haven't really kept up with anyone. If you were in before 2000 we more than likely did work together. You may have seen some of my sketches which I believe are still hanging in each of the Officers, Sergeants and OR's messes. I thought about joining 1 CDO after I got out and keep things up part time, but it was all too hard and I had had enough. As you say, the Army is definitely a simgle mans game, that is why I became a firie. I get a bit of action still, but I get to come home afterwards ;) .

Beats the hell out of an office-job, though.  I miss the military life every day.  Couldn't go back to that salary though, with the family and all.

I didn't experience the action you did, but I enjoyed my share of hot and interesting places...

i-3Pfrt8S-L.jpg

i-Bn5PXGN-L.jpg

i-75qFPvp-L.jpg

• 1 year later...

Been spending a bit of time on my Landy ; making it better for huntin fishin campin etc, plus had to replace a side intake gasket i blew off when I had a massive intake backfire (water on coil I think). A couple of weeks ago I dropped a McCupful of oil in my fancy pants work car park full of bringmorewallets and VW dirty diesels and Camrys and grey Howdys.

Today though "Arthur" was well behaved. Every trip is a delightful little adventure and now the tourists are starting to photobomb the car. 

The only catch is parking next to that pillar. Sometimes it's an 8 point turn, esp when people double park a motorbike behind a car on that opposite wall. 

hv1BbQB.jpg

Archived