Taking my 89 S4 928 back to factory stock - thoughts?

Ozvino

Hey guys, I am thinking of taking my 89 S4 back to factory stock. That means replacing the cup mirrors with flag mirrors, putting the anodised Manhole cover wheels on and swapping the painted spoiler for a factory spec black unit.

Tell me if I'm loosing my mind taking it back to factory spec. I guess either way, it's not irreversible 

thoughts?

Cheers

Dave

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go for it.  Should look even more amazing that it does now.

928's are fast becoming uber cool (ask the Taswegian contingent) and I reckon original looks best, even if it is the 80's....

In fact the more 70's and 80's immer besser!  ;)

d3c0eb434be5ad8c0159e59aa06d0c19.jpg

I would love to take your cup mirrors in exchange for flag mirrors if you decide to change. I will pay freight on both sets.

I have two sets, silver or red.....

Call me or pm if keen.....:D

Dean

p.s. Will be in Geelong end of July if that helps....

Dave,  I'm currently turning my 88 S4 back to stock.  It's currently running 17" Cup II's but a beautiful set of flat discs were purchased and have arrived and a set of new Conti's from Tempetyres are on their way as well.  Stock all the way for me so go for it.

Go for it.  Should look even more amazing that it does now.

928's are fast becoming uber cool (ask the Taswegian contingent) and I reckon original looks best, even if it is the 80's....

In fact the more 70's and 80's immer besser!  ;)

d3c0eb434be5ad8c0159e59aa06d0c19.jpg

I was on the fence until I saw that pastel coloured suit - now I'm sold

The other day a Porsche scene pace setter here in Melbourne was spotted driving a gold 928S4. Didn't see the clothes but the sunnies were well over size.  

I drove my GTS for a week or so a couple of weeks ago and it got plenty of attention. 

Stock is best for these. Big wheels give them a Mattel vibe. 

Watch them take off on the nostalgia wave when Porsche brings back the big banger front engined GT, front engined based on a shortened Pana base. 

Said "pacesetter" normally rolls in 911 Turbos, GT3's etc. He's a good guy.  I found it interesting that he'd jumped into a 928. Smart guy I think. 

Dave,  I'm currently turning my 88 S4 back to stock.  It's currently running 17" Cup II's but a beautiful set of flat discs were purchased and have arrived and a set of new Conti's from Tempetyres are on their way as well.  Stock all the way for me so go for it.

Diamond, nice one. I seem to recall when you bought it our cars are very similar. 

Tyres were my next requirement, can you please let me know what continentals you bought and what you paid if you don't mind. I believe this is the stick size for the manhole wheels

F - 225/50ZR16
R - 245/45ZR16

i have the RDK wheelie and I am thinking about removing the sensors and having the holes filled with weld. I disabled the RDK fuse a while ago it just became a pain in the ass

cheers

Dave

2nd for offering to exchange flag mirrors to cup mirrors. Offer as above. Flags are grand prix white.

thanks for the offers guys - I will probably hang on to the teardrops should I have another 928 midlife crisis

cheers

Dave

Diamond, nice one. I seem to recall when you bought it our cars are very similar. 

Tyres were my next requirement, can you please let me know what continentals you bought and what you paid if you don't mind. I believe this is the stick size for the manhole wheels

F - 225/50ZR16
R - 245/45ZR16

i have the RDK wheelie and I am thinking about removing the sensors and having the holes filled with weld. I disabled the RDK fuse a while ago it just became a pain in the ass

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, yes our cars are pretty similar.

I purchased the ContiSportContact for $1160 for 4 corners from Tempetyres in the original specs/sizee you mentioned above. (94Y rears, 92Y fronts).  You can get the fronts in Conti Contact 2's for cheaper (but not the rears) but they are less performance based and I didn't want to mix compounds front to rear.  So I went the ContiSportContact's all round.  Hopefully they arrive later this week and I can get them fitted to my new flat discs before the weekend as there is a PCWA run on Sunday which I might tag along to.

cheers,

Bryan

Hi Dave, yes our cars are pretty similar.

I purchased the ContiSportContact for $1160 for 4 corners from Tempetyres in the original specs/sizee you mentioned above. (94Y rears, 92Y fronts).  You can get the fronts in Conti Contact 2's for cheaper (but not the rears) but they are less performance based and I didn't want to mix compounds front to rear.  So I went the ContiSportContact's all round.  Hopefully they arrive later this week and I can get them fitted to my new flat discs before the weekend as there is a PCWA run on Sunday which I might tag along to.

cheers,

Bryan

Bryan, thank you for sharing. Now that those tyres are available in the 928 fitting I will follow your lead. I have continentals on my 928 now, on the 17" wheels, and they are fantastic tyres, very happy with them (contact sport 3s I believe)

So, I have my rear stock spoiler - picked it up Sunday. It's a flip version from an 87, so quite rare, but the spoiler and hinges are in very good condition so I am happy with it. Mirrors need painting and mounting and the wheels just need a clean. My wheels are  original S4 manholes with the RDK sensors and original anodising. They aren't immaculate but are very good considering they have the factory finish so I will put some gentle elbow grease and soapy water cleaning before getting tyres fitted. 

Cheers

Dave

Just got a quote - the same Continental tyres listed above for $1280 fitted and balanced in Melbourne with no haggling, so not a bad price all things considered. Just working on carefully cleaning up the wheels at the moment before I can get the tyres fitted - Anodized wheels = Major PITA when it comes to cleaning....

The faces are ok, not up to my anal standard but probably 8/10 - the anodozing is pretty well preserved. The backs of the wheels are/were black so Im working away at that. Just being very careful in what I use bcause I want to protect the anodizing. The inner lip behind the slots is what im trying to clean the most because when you look through the manhole covers you see that - I can be a little more aggressive on the back, just being really cautious

Im tempted to try this - despite people saying the world will end if you use anything other than Vaseline or soapy water. Im figuring it should be ok on the back of the wheels/on the inside, provided I keep it away from the faces

http://www.autosol.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1920

I just went out and had a look at mine, and they were very clean and I imagine have not been cleaned (the backs) for some time. Certainly cleaner than any other alloys I have had.

Good luck and looking forward to some pics soon :)

The faces are ok, not up to my anal standard but probably 8/10 - the anodozing is pretty well preserved. The backs of the wheels are/were black so Im working away at that. Just being very careful in what I use bcause I want to protect the anodizing. The inner lip behind the slots is what im trying to clean the most because when you look through the manhole covers you see that - I can be a little more aggressive on the back, just being really cautious

Im tempted to try this - despite people saying the world will end if you use anything other than Vaseline or soapy water. Im figuring it should be ok on the back of the wheels/on the inside, provided I keep it away from the faces

http://www.autosol.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1920

Dave, I'm in exactly the same position as you. The anodised faces are near perfect but the inner lip/gap between the slots needs to be cleaned up as you can clearly see this area.  Let us know how you go as like you I don't want to impact the original anodising.  I will get to mine this coming weekend so will keep an eye on this thread.  Good luck.

Autosol typically takes a thin film of the top metal away, so may over time make the anodising thin or remove it altogether?

I suppose it would be a bit like an extra cut compound to paint?

can this be Bowden's stuff be used?  I've got some sitting at home in my cleaning cupboard.

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/guides/easy-cleaning-heavy-brake-dusted-wheels

Note it states "It is pH balanced, no acid or caustic ingredients, so it is safe for all wheels including painted, alloy, anodised, chromed, clear coated, powder coated, aluminium, stainless, billet............"

Sounds like a degreaser?

more of a ferrous/iron dissolving product than a degreaser. Targeted at brake dust build up.

When I searched for some discussion of Bowden's Wheely Clean and it's potential use on anodised wheels I cam across this (albeit) in a car forum:

"haven't found a wheel it's not safe on yet. It's the only thing I'll touch an anodised wheel with aside from wash soap - I do cut it down by about half for anodised though to be on the safe side, but haven't had any indicators that it would do any damage. After a chat with Dan Bowden about it, he uses it on anodised wheels neat without any issues. Most anodised wheels I come across have copped some abuse though, so I err on the side of caution."

I also have the Bowdens stuff at home - as much as I like the products they sell Im loathed to spray it and have it drip onto the face and impact the anodising. I have ordered the Autosol Anodized Aluminum paste, I will try that on the backs once I get it and let you know - if I remove the anodizing on the inside/inside lips I am ok with that, Im just trying to protect the faces of the wheels. 

I might end up loosing my patience - a little voice in my head is saying get them stripped and refurbished/painted witha  low sheen silver paint and be done with it,,,,

At this stage I will push on and protect the anodising - my wife thinks im loosing it btw with all of the pissing around on these wheels.......

Oh - 928 Nerd fact I found in my research on the Internet- if you look at the S4 Manholes from behind you can see the D90 Wheel pattern - the wheel actually has the D90 built into it, in theory you could machine out the Manhole and create D90s....

There was a post on Rennlist on the topic of painting, mainly powder coating these forged alloy wheels, along the lines that if you powder coat them you could in fact damage them due to the heating that takes place whilst powder coating. Painting I assume should be fine but doubt you would be able to replicate the look 100% ? You can still buy them new for about 3000 GBP http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/porsche_alloy_wheels/928_s4_928_gt_alloys/16_porsche_perforated_wheel_1910

Archived