Taking my 89 S4 928 back to factory stock - thoughts?

Ozvino

Yeah, I would go with paint rather than Powder coat and agreed, it wouldnt be a perfect match but I would think you could get a half decent finish if needed  - new ones at 3000 Pounds LMAO !

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

curiosity got the better of me so I emailed Dan Bowden regarding the anodising (I sent him the photo below of one of my wheels). His response just now for what it's worth:

20160620_134208%20Large_zpssw9edwqz.jpg

"Hi Bryan and thanks for the email.

Yes I know the wheels and have used Wheely Clean as per its instructions on them before with no issues.  Likewise for the anodised finish on other earlier 911 rims we have here in on cars in the collection.

I’d personally be cleaning them with our Agent Orange and a small parts brush first, to get in and around all the cracks and crevices as there looks to be a bit of grime in there too.  

If ever in doubt when using the Wheely Clean, always test on an inconspicuous area behind the wheel first. Then work on smaller sections at a time and wash it off with water as you go.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any other questions as needed ok.

Cheers,
Dan"

Thanks Bryan - cool that he responded so fast, I like the fact these guys are local thats why I try and use Bowdens products when I can. I will give it a go on the weekend, what he suggests in regards to a brush and the citrus based cleaner isnt a bad idea - but I want to be really cautious. Your wheels look almost idnetical to mine in both condition and grime !

Maybe mine have had a pampered life, as all I have done is clean the face with a sponge and soapy water? You can see the slight gold hue as well.... wheel weight will be relocated once I get an alignment/ balance done!Wheel_zpsgtveypof.jpg

my Conti's arrived so all good to go. Just need to give my rims a spring clean and book her in. + work out the logistics of transporting tyres, rims and car.  Probably need to drop them off the day before in my fourby.

IMG_1547_zpsmgiocm0b.jpg

IMG_1545_zps4lxhubkb.jpg

I refinished the wheels on the DD with wurth wheel lacquer I a rattle can a few years back.  Anyway I used some bowdens wheely clean on them and it ruined the paint.  A mixture of hazing of the clear coat and it lifted in a couple of places.  Since then I won't let it near my anodised wheels but I'm probably just paranoid as rattle can paint is not exactly a hard factory finish.  

Essentially I just use soapy water and elbow grease now and never let them get too dirty and caked on.  I would definitely test somewhere on the back before doing too much and don't let it sit.

dan is a good guy and I like their product but they are not exactly going to fork out for new wheels if it goes bad, so caution is required IMO.

Guys I had excellent results on the wheels

- I used Vaseline to put a protective coating on the face of the wheels while I cleaned the insides

- bowdens wheel cleaner worked fine

- autosol anodised metal polish is safe and works well 

- final buff off with Vaseline got them gleaming

i will post pics and steps on what I did tomorrow

cheers

Dave

Guys I had excellent results on the wheels

- I used Vaseline to put a protective coating on the face of the wheels while I cleaned the insides

- bowdens wheel cleaner worked fine

- autosol anodised metal polish is safe and works well 

- final buff off with Vaseline got them gleaming

i will post pics and steps on what I did tomorrow

cheers

Dave

that would be great as I'm attacking this over the weekend hopefully. Thanks

that would be great as I'm attacking this over the weekend hopefully. Thanks

Bryan, I got off my ass and posted what I did to hopefully help you out with your cleaning

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/9305-cleaning-928-anodised-wheels/

I didnt take pics through the process, it was to difficult with the mess and water around, hopefully my instructions make sense. Allow 1-1,5hr per wheel depending how dirty yours are. Like I said, they are not 100% but Im really happy with the outcome.

If you have any questions PM me and I can call you 

Today Im planning to clean up the rear stock spoiler

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

The Metamorphose has begun.....I like the look, glad I did it. Spoiler has cleaned up nicely and I am really liking the new Continental Tyres - ride is excellent. I secured two S4 mirrors and pulled them apart for painting - have dropped the mirrors up at paint and custom to get painted 347 Dunkel Blau, they should be ready in a week or two

DSC_2089.jpg

DSC_2097.jpg

DSC_2148.jpg

DSC_2100.jpg

Looking fantastic.  

I've put two weekends into my flat discs/manhole covers now as I wasn't happy after the first weekend. Will get them fitted on Tuesday hopefully.

Great to hear that you are happy with the Conti's.

Dropped the flag mirrors off that I had at Paint & Custom a week ago and picked them up Friday - they look great. Cleaned up all of the ABS trim and replaced all of the fasteners etc . 

Pulled the areros off today and discovered they are genuine Porsche Aeros. I haven't wired up the flags yet, I will do that next weekend. I did clean up the paint and fit them, I'm happy with the way they look and the colour matches well. The car externally has been transformed now, it's looking as it would have when it left the factory in November 1988. 

A3C3FCF8-ACF0-4F58-97C6-84A796E0B1CB.jpg

FB15A5B1-F1C4-4128-9F22-D52573B4AC21.jpg

85EE064D-02CB-448B-8C55-2326881F29E2.jpg

6D88B71F-541F-473D-9DBB-51EB2B0B63C4.jpg

0E2C4097-99AB-4143-8678-393DED3F05CC.jpg

Thanks mate, now thinking about a new stereo head unit. Will not go 80's....looking to replace the Nakamichi with a Blaupunkt Stockholm, getting good feedback from KGB who has this unit in his GTS

Dropped the flag mirrors off that I had at Paint & Custom a week ago and picked them up Friday - they look great. Cleaned up all of the ABS trim and replaced all of the fasteners etc . 

Pulled the areros off today and discovered they are genuine Porsche Aeros. I haven't wired up the flags yet, I will do that next weekend. I did clean up the paint and fit them, I'm happy with the way they look and the colour matches well. The car externally has been transformed now, it's looking as it would have when it left the factory in November 1988. 

A3C3FCF8-ACF0-4F58-97C6-84A796E0B1CB.jpg

FB15A5B1-F1C4-4128-9F22-D52573B4AC21.jpg

85EE064D-02CB-448B-8C55-2326881F29E2.jpg

6D88B71F-541F-473D-9DBB-51EB2B0B63C4.jpg

0E2C4097-99AB-4143-8678-393DED3F05CC.jpg

This looks fantastic.:wub:

Thanks mate, now thinking about a new stereo head unit. Will not go 80's....looking to replace the Nakamichi with a Blaupunkt Stockholm, getting good feedback from KGB who has this unit in his GTS

Is this a CD unit? Period looking or modern? Looking for a new one for my car as well?

What Nakamichi do you have?

Cheers

Is this a CD unit? Period looking or modern? Looking for a new one for my car as well?

What Nakamichi do you have?

Cheers

I have one of these, in dash 6 CD stacker - it has an audio in cable for using an iPod also. I just need something with Bluetooth hence the switch to a new headunit. 

Mine is 2 years old and Ill happily sell it if anyone has an interest

http://www.zeppy.io/product/gb/2/252472885625/nakamichi-japan-mb-vi-in-dash-6cd-aux-input-receiver-retro-car-stereo

Archived