928 auto transmission

Gregk

Hi guys. I took a risk and bought a non running 1980 928. Long story short, we have found the transmission fluid to be milky pink. From what I can gather, this means coolant/water has made its way from the radiator into the transmission. Again, I heard this is fatal for the 3 speed auto? Because of the water based glues used in the transmission?

Can anyone confirm this?

I dropped the fluid out tonight and found no pieces of anything in it.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Greg

20160801_175501-320x180.jpg

20160801_171455-320x180.jpg

Greg, I am sure the boys from Buchanan Automotive will chime in soon. They know 928s better than anyone.

I hope it's a simple as fixing that rad/transmission cooler, filling both up and giving her a go ...

Worst case is a trans from a wrecker .... better than needing a new engine, or finding oodles of rust.

Thanks xlr8. We actually got it running last week and while it was a bit rough to start with, it settled nicely and sounded pretty good. That's when we decided to change all the fluids and found the strawberry milkshake !

20160710_165737-640x360.jpeg

Thanks Tazzieman. That sounds encouraging.

I was told it hadn't been driven for over 7 years and not started for 2 years.

Water/coolant in any auto trans from any manufacturer from any country  made by man on this planet is not good , all you can do is the logical }

A ) get rid of the auto oil cooler hoses going to the radiator heat exchanger & install a stand alone auto trans oil cooler  in behind the grille & seal off the heat exchanger outlets  , naturally if the radiator is that old ( 36 years old ) , then a new rad at some stage will be needed 

B ) flush out the auto trans with lots of new auto fluid

C ) install a new auto oil filter & new auto oil

D ) road test ( if it gets that far ) and go from there 

Note } Radiators with auto trans oil heat exchangers have been an issue in Holdens , Fords ,Valiant's , Toyota's , Volvo's , Mercs , BMW's, Datsun's etc etc etc etc  since I was a first year apprentice in 1972 & yes I have been seeing this for all that time 

The nice thing about last century Auto Transmissions is that ( MOST / NOT all ) are repairable where as MOST in this century are NOT repairable 

Thanks for the reply Buchanan...already underway.

Thanks Edgy. It has just 130kms on the clock and looks like it has rarely been outside despite it's radiator/transmission issues.

Good luck with the fix, I am just going through same, fitting an ext cooler, not for same reasons though. My rad was leaking and replacement does not have trans cooler.

Post up some more pics, it does look nice.

cheers

Ok. Here is more of the story. The fuel had turned to black glue ! I have never seen anything like it. We pulled out the fuel pump and filter and black glue oozed slowly everywhere.

20160711_195815-640x360.jpg

So we ordered a new filter and second hand pump. Unfortunately the second hand pump didn't work either which added to the confusion. We pulled out the fuel sender, and long story short could see that the tank had to come out to have any chance of cleaning it properly.

20160715_102402-320x180.jpg

If you zoom in on that photo, you can see an insane amount of dirt that fell out with the tank. It was 2-3 inches thick in places, especially around the fuel filler area. So the tank was scrubbed clean and re installed and with a NEW fuel pump we finally got it started.

20160711_195900-640x360.jpg

20160721_183344-320x180.jpg

Unfortunately with alot of oil deposited and a bit of corrosion hampering conduction, the alternator shorted and started to smoke melting all the wire insulation!

20160725_182915-240x427.jpg

So out comes the alternator, re insulated, checked and re installed.

By this stage the car had stopped spitting stuff out the exhaust and was running and idling nicely.

Thats when we decided to re new all the fluids. First the engine oil which looked pretty good thankfully.

Next we flushed the radiator. Unfortunately by flushing it, we moved all the corrosion that was stopping it leaking and it started leaking like a sieve!

So out comes the radiator and in the process we find the strawberry milkshake transmission fluid.

So here we are, waiting to buy a new radiator  (any suggestions?). I've cleaned away all the strawberry milk and waiting for the radiator before adding / flushing new transmission fluid.

The rest of the car looks pretty good, brakes are ok, engine seems ok, interior doesn't need any work, so fingers crossed ?

If you want a genuine unit email Roger Tyson at 928sRus in the USA. The air freight won't be as scary as you think, Roger gets good rates. 

Please check, check, check, check and double check all of the fuel lines in the car they are likely cracked and very high risk  of leakage and thus fire

Car looks fantastic. Good on you for saving it  

Dave

Go to your local radiator place, should be about $1000 for a new one, 928sRus was $600 I think from memory, by the time you convert to aus $ and add freight will be over $1000. PWR is aus also make them, price buried in my emails somewhere, check when next on my pc if you like

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Well after much deliberation I ended up with a locally made dual oil cooling radiator just to get it running. I think long term, I will opt to bypass the oil cooler and get an independent transmission cooler from PWR. Thanks to Buchanan automotive for the advise. 

So we installed the new radiator and added some 8 litres of transmission fluid (which took about 1.5 hours!!) and went for a drive. Touch wood, the transmission seemed ok. I wonder if this is just a short term victory and it will fall off next drive?

Either way at this stage I am happy with a short term victory, so off to get the brakes sorted, 2 new rear tyres and hopefully some classic car rego will be next!

Cheers,

Greg K.

No I didn't get a pwr radiator ANF. Their best and cheapest option was the radiator on its own and a seperate transmission oil cooler, but I would have had to make brackets to fit it and change the length of the oil lines etc which I couldn't be bothered doing atm. Just wanted to get it running. But their stand alone transmission oil cooler is pretty cheap @? $120, so I will get one eventually when everything else is sorted.                         Cheers Greg.

I have a PWR oil cooler waiting to be fitted, but like you want to get it running again and will then fit it.

The fitting that Porsche used on both the engine oil and trans fluid do not make it easy however...... finding something for these fittings is nigh on impossible (well down here anyway).....

Cheers

Yeah right. I haven't even started to look at the options of fitting the stand alone oil cooler. I was hoping it was going to be a relatively easy task! Oh well, makes me feel better that I've just got it running. Soooo many other problems to fix first!!

The trans cooler ones are ok to find as long as you go to the right place... the engine oil ones are an odd size that no-one stocks or can even get.

The engine oil cooler is not needed as I have been told so I have just looped mine, and this is what has taken me the most time.....

• 1 month later...

Ok. Moving forward to the fuel distributor. It is the original CIS type I believe. We've bought a re -seal kit.  Do people use gasket sealant for the stainless gasket? And if so, what type and where is it available in Australia?

Cheers,

Greg 

Archived