Singer to Melbourne?

Mike-S

Talking to a friend today and he asked if I knew of the Singer heading to Melbourne. Someone he knows with an already extensive collection of exotic metal bought a 964 Targa a week ago, is sending it on a holiday to California...

He sent me a link to his Instagram page, all the comments would suggest it's real with a photo of the grey donor clearly at a dealership. Dude already owns a 964 Speedster, GT3RS, McLaren, Lambo, Ferrari 512 and if his Instagram page is anything to go by, an impressive collection of watches.

Dont suppose anyone off here is holding back on letting a cat from a bag? Would love to know the spec of the car if it's for real.

Talking to a friend today and he asked if I knew of the Singer heading to Melbourne. Someone he knows with an already extensive collection of exotic metal bought a 964 Targa a week ago, is sending it on a holiday to California...

He sent me a link to his Instagram page, all the comments would suggest it's real with a photo of the grey donor clearly at a dealership. Dude already owns a 964 Speedster, GT3RS, McLaren, Lambo, Ferrari 512 and if his Instagram page is anything to go by, an impressive collection of watches.

Dont suppose anyone off here is holding back on letting a cat from a bag? Would love to know the spec of the car if it's for real.

Last i heard from Singer they couldn't get them into Australia. Australian government getting in the way. Maybe if you have another cash you can get one in

Last i heard from Singer they couldn't get them into Australia. Australian government getting in the way. Maybe if you have another cash you can get one in

I made that comment to my friend, to which he suggested your last line regarding cash might be one reason why the barriers have been overcome. The grey targa donor is definitely an Oz car at an Oz dealer from the photo.

What's the difference between modifying a car here or sending it O/S and bringing it back?

If the mods are legal for rego here, then it's just offshoring the work isn't it?

I spoke to Rob D from Singer about this at Rennsport USA earlier this year.  It was clear you needed to start with an existing Aussie car as pre-89 import doesn't apply nor does 1 year private import. 

They were looking into whether LCT would apply and, more importantly, if the Aust authorities would consider it effectively a 'new' car. 

Couldnt they just send the car over, have it 'Singerised' whilst still rego'd in Oz and ship it back? 

the issue as I understand it it that a modified car attracts a new classification in terms of the year it was built (dated to the modification) and thus follows a completely different set of  criteria for compliance. Not sure if this goes as far as crash testing a few, but certainly not straightforward. This guy clearly has the readies and I am sure the tax man would love to collect the GST and LCT on a $500,000US++ dollar car (I saw one in production that was $700,000US), but maybe will be stuck in a collection and never driven on an open road? I hope we do get to see one here through.  They really are amazing in the flesh.  

Ps. Icon also has an Aust build in the works. 50's or 60's RR silver cloud being done as a derelict. Love their stuff. 

the issue as I understand it it that a modified car attracts a new classification in terms of the year it was built (dated to the modification) and thus follows a completely different set of  criteria for compliance. Not sure if this goes as far as crash testing a few, but certainly not straightforward. This guy clearly has the readies and I am sure the tax man would love to collect the GST and LCT on a $500,000US++ dollar car (I saw one in production that was $700,000US), but maybe will be stuck in a collection and never driven on an open road? I hope we do get to see one here through.  They really are amazing in the flesh.  

Yep, it is similar to how they handle the pre 89 import cars. You have to prove any mods were done pre 89. Just been through that. 

Ps. Icon also has an Aust build in the works. 50's or 60's RR silver cloud being done as a derelict. Love their stuff. 

Yep, it is similar to how they handle the pre 89 import cars. You have to prove any mods were done pre 89. Just been through that. 

which would be impossible with the Singer. Costs are also getting up there. Highly specked Singers have got up to $700,000US. That would attract over $300,000 in tax...ouch

Yet if you shut ya gob about any modifications, who would know? I would have thought it wouldn't need to go through rego inspection or import approval, as its an Australian car still registered in Australia! 

Yet if you shut ya gob about any modifications, who would know? I would have thought it wouldn't need to go through rego inspection or import approval, as its an Australian car still registered in Australia! 

Yeah, just tell em "It's not modified...it's just been reimagined!"  I bet thats not written in their law!

Archived