Hello all. Heading out for my first track day in late September @ Mallala with the SA Porsche Club. I have seen events at the track before and understand it's very hard on your break pads. Can anyone share some advice for first time track days or about the track?

Thank you. 

Shane.

A couple of days beforehand, go over your car and check everything. Tyre condition, Brake lines, pads, suspension component's etc. Ask someone experienced about what tyre pressures to run too. 

I've raced many laps around there on bikes, and a Superkart, and it is hard on brakes, yet if I were you for your first time, I'd be asking someone if you could follow them at a reduced speed, or take them in your/their car to show you some lines and braking points. 

Slow and steady at first, then gradually build up your speed.  It may sound stupid, but remember that speeds are a lot higher on a track than the road, and if you get careless or over confident, it can go wrong very quickly for you, and/or someone else. Know who is coming up behind you at a faster pace, and give them room. It's not a race, and you're not experienced

I don't mean to come across as a killjoy, but I've seen it so many times when beginners think they can drive/ride, only to hurt themselves, others and your machinery.  In other words, don't try and race someone, let them go, and concentrate on your own driving

Maybe even get onto Youtube and find some Mallala footage to get an idea of lines etc

Hi Shane,

Since moving back from SYD and previously doing all the events with PCNSW I have now joined PCSA and been running Mallala for the past few years.

You will have a great time and it's easy to get started.

There are driver training sessions if you want a track guide or you can go straight into it and build up by yourself. You will be in a group of similar speed and no more than 10 cars on track with PCSA so it's not high track density. Agree with Lee but if you really want to drive your car it's safer than the road and I have witnessed very few mechanical issues with Porsches or driver related accidents having done more than 50 at various tracks with PCNSW, PCV and PCSA.

Quite a few people have GT4's and 991 GT3's in SA and bring them to Mallala so you should be able to lean on their experience. Typically stock brakes are fine 1st time out. Then fluid and better pads will benefit as you get faster. There are more GT4's on the way so you will have plenty more GT company soon.

message me your number if you want and I'll call you over the weekend for a chat.

Darien

So long as you use your head, you will be OK. As others say, build up slowly. And while I agree with following the right car, be very careful. Even the best get it wrong and there is nothing like discovering that the car ahead has braked too late when it is already too late for you (don't ask how I know;)).

The other thing to consider when you first start out learning the circuit is which corners have safe run outs and which don't. Then you know which corners are safe to push on and which aren't - a spin or off at some corners will destroy your car while at others, there is no harm done. Hopefully, you won't have any "moments" and if you are sensible, the limits of your car will probably be higher than you realise, but it is always a confidence builder to try pushing that little harder on corners where you know you aren't going to get into serious trouble.

Don't forget to use your mirrors and watch for faster cars. And if you feel uncomfortable with the cars around you, either back way off or come in.

After every session, check round the car to make sure all is good, particularly the tyres and fluid levels. As mentioned above, getting the pressures right, which usually means less air, is important. It's worth taking pressures at the end of each session so you can build a picture of what is going on and what you are comfortable with. Don't forget to return the tyres to road pressure before leaving.

Hi,

I've attended a few days in my 997 c2s but consider myself "starting out" and having fun.

My thoughts are:

Don't worry too much about the car, they are made to do this! As others have said check oil level and general inspection ahead of time (don't go with brake pads near limits). Re brakes, I went to three days last year, incl Nurburgring and didn't use a set of pads up. Take some air out of your tires as they warm - ppl will be able to help you get the pressures - this helps with handling (predictability) from my p.o.v. 

When you get there, take it slow, have fun and build up. Bum a ride with someone and maybe ask someone to sit in with you as others have said. 

Personally, I leave PSM on (in sport mode), I have had one or two moments where it's saved me (wet track both times) and doesn't seem to intrude otherwise. Warm up lap and cool down lap are good both for you and for the car.

Have fun, don't race, check your mirrors... Oh and have fun :)

good luck

Darien,

Out of curiosity, what pads and fluid do you run in your SC?

thanks

Hi Pete,

- I use ATE super blue fluid and bleed   regularly (it's relatively cheap)

- started with Ferodo race pads, which were good, but I've run pagid RS29's front and rear for a long while and they handle any track. Tried blues and blacks in the back but I run yellow 29's all round now.  I import them from the US as cheaper and rears for a SC caliper are hard to find in Aust.

RS19/29 are also ok from cold on the road. Have kept small rotors to minimize rotating/unsprung weight.

i have brake cooling to the disc centre on the front, but the 19 or 29's handle sprints up to 30-60min reg events on every track in Aust I've run from Mallala to PI, EC , Wakefield, Bathurst etc and the car stops fine - no fade.

Have lots of race and road pads left over for SC/Carrera and calipers/discs if anyone wants any parts/pads.

Darien

Cayman GT4, you should be so lucky! :)

The only issue you'll have is trying not to scare yourself with how capable the car is, not a bad problem to have though. ;) Just get a good nights sleep prior & enjoy! 

Archived