3.6 conversion dream

TAV

Have been thinking about a (maybe) 3.6 conversion at some stage. 

Which 3.6 is recommended? I see the v-ram is popular... But can be 1-3k more expensive.

whats the general ballpark values of these engines currently?

any tips on where to source one from?

thanks for any input

At this stage I think the best one would be whatever one you can find that is in decent condition for a decent price. 911 engines are getting harder and harder to come by so there is often very little choice available.

Ill try and chip in what knowledge I have on the matter. My car is a '74 911 fitted with a '95 993 3.6 (915 gearbox).

I had it rebuilt at the beginning of the year by a reputable Porsche Workshop. Initially it was my plan to get some more aggressive Cams, however it was recommended that to do so, Id require a Solid Lifter Conversion (993s have hydraulic lifters), which Porsche supply for about 3.8k. The cams themselves were going to be reground to Cupcam specs. So on this front, I think the 964 offers a more tunable aspect, whereby it has solid lifters to start with.

The 993 also has larger injectors from factory (sorry I dont have a size) and runs a variable TPS, not just a switch like the 964. Because of this the Motronic is able to better determine the load on the motor and more accurate adjust fuel injection to suit (rather than just off a closed looped system with O2 and MAF/MAP). 

From factory the 964 has ~254hp, while the 993 has 272hp (non-varoram), thanks to the change in electronics and injectors. It also uses the proportionate amount more fuel. 

Regarding price and availability, 964 seems to come up more on the market (ebay/gumtree) and go for very similar money. I think best bet would be to get the motor imported from the states, forget Germany, I swear its more expensive to own a 911 there than it is here lately...

there is a cool 993 motor on ebay . $25K.

just needs exhaust, and induction... (that's a lot of stuff it needs isn't it)

That is what I am saying about finding one for a reasonable price ;) WOW.

there is a cool 993 motor on ebay . $25K.

just needs exhaust, and induction... (that's a lot of stuff it needs isn't it)

would need different exhaust anyway to fit an impact bumper, and induction, well.. jenveys.. in for a penny, in for a pound!

i have a 964 motor with RS cams and SW chip and fabspeed exhaust, is about neck and neck with blitzkonig's 993 3.6 IB car, so about 280 odd hp.

the other 964 3.6 i have is closer to 320hp and is quite mental in a ~1050kg car.

the V-Ram manifold will require some.. massaging.. of the rear parcel shelf.

DHM auto have done a lot of these conversions, including a couple of IROC cars.

Archived