Front, rear or mid.....

ANF

Front, rear or mid.....  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a front, mid or rear engined Porsche, or maybe a combination :)

• Front engine
    • Mid engine
    • Rear engine
    • Combination

Ok, so my last attempt at a poll was a bit of a flop and I hate to see a function of PFA not used..... :P and the love for front engine (or transaxle Porsche as Porsche themselves like to call them, bit odd as a 911 has a transaxle :blink: ) has been growing of late, let's see how much....

Rear, it's what sets Porsche apart to me. No  slight against the mid or FR boys, good cars, but I can experience those layouts elsewhere in other marques and have a lot more change in my pocket haha.

Yes I agree the 911 is what most think of when Porsche is mentioned and there is a plethora of front/ rear drive combos out there, none get close to the Porsche experience and you would struggle to get more car for your $$ than a 924/ 944 / 968 or a 928... but you certainly can try.

But where can I get a comparable mid engine car (performance, quality and price wise) to a Boxster or Cayman? Let alone cheaper..... :blink: you may be just fishing... but still curious :)

Yes I agree the 911 is what most think of when Porsche is mentioned and there is a plethora of front/ rear drive combos out there, none get close to the Porsche experience and you would struggle to get more car for your $$ than a 924/ 944 / 968 or a 928... but you certainly can try.

But where can I get a comparable mid engine car (performance, quality and price wise) to a Boxster or Cayman? Let alone cheaper..... :blink: you may be just fishing... but still curious :)

i don't mean necessarily comparable- well, lotus elise/exige, alfa 4c aside- but if i wanted to experience MR on the cheap, i'd be in an MR2 before a boxster.

F/R, i went for an M car, ticked more boxes for me and was on the bucket list (the porsche four cylinders don't excite me, and gave up on a manual 928).

Some like the tail wagging the dog , some like to be the dog. Ferdinand's first efforts were in his logical mind front wheel drive with motors on the wheels.

Plenty of other brands have rear engines , some lovely lightweight rally cars , French in particular. And I have a Tatra as a discussion point.

Where did Porsche put the engine in their first racing cars?

I believe that 356 nr.1 was the first car to bear his name - mid engine :)

all ones before that he designed/ worked on but were not actual Porsche cars.

The Lohner-Porsche Mixte Hybrid (sometimes wrongly referred to as Löhner-Porsche) was the first hybrid vehicle developed by Ferdinand Porsche.

Depends what you mean by Porsche cars!

The 356 was an attempt to build a twinkle in the eye post war sports car using VW parts , of which there are many . Dakdakdak! 

But where can I get a comparable mid engine car (performance, quality and price wise) to a Boxster or Cayman? Let alone cheaper..... :blink: you may be just fishing... but still curious :)

The only thing that I could compare it to would be my old car, a Lotus Exige. It can be had for similar money, it's not as well built, it has no toys, the obsession with light weight makes it feel a little lacking in quality, and most importantly, there's no flat six noise from behind your head. None of this crosses your mind when you drive one, as they are a riot and as communicative as all the journos say. 

Where it falls down is when you do what I did and have it as your only car. Yeah, I know..pillock

I had a 944 in my 20's and now drive a 911 in my 40's.  The 944 was like driving a big powerful go kart lots of fun, lots of slides and a few offs. I find my self every now and then scanning Cars Guide for another one.  I did see that there is currently a 600bhp 944 for sale, could be fun?

I find driving the 911 very measured, you need to get almost everything right to truly enjoy what the car can deliver. And when you do what a ride!

Archived