Whats the best 996 Sports Exhaust

Arnage

Hi water cooled people.

I am currently on the search for a sports exhaust for my 996 C4S

Have any of you guys got experience with these from either Porsche or others makes. I am mainly after getting a more aggressive sound as the stock one really is overly civilised for me. 

Very interested to hear your opinions.

Cheers

I've had Fisters and Dansk super sound. The Dansk was embarrassingly loud and not that nice. Fisters sounded great at full noise but like a jalopy at idle. They probably sound nicer in a manual (I have a tip). If I had my time over, I'd get the Dansk sport. On YouTube, Search Porsche 996 Dansk. There's a guy in Scotland with a silver mk2 with a set. He has  a video of it parked revving and another taking off. If your wallet is deeper, look up SCART classic. 

I wouldn't say "best" but if you want loud - I have a set of these.

mufflerslarge.jpg

I ran them for a little while but took them off thinking they were a bit obnoxious for a frequently used car.

I would put them back on if keeping the car though, perfect for a weekend hills blaster.

If the car sells they will be available...

Thanks Jim, Simon & Trev.

Trev, what's the sound like in car when cruising? My car is a weekender really & like the idea of something that's a bit kick arse. Never heard of that brand before, I will look them up. Let me have first refusal on your system though.

Hi water cooled people.

I am currently on the search for a sports exhaust for my 996 C4S

Have any of you guys got experience with these from either Porsche or others makes. I am mainly after getting a more aggressive sound as the stock one really is overly civilised for me. 

Very interested to hear your opinions.

Cheers

Cargraphic is a great product. I've used it on a few cars and currently have it on my 04 GT3 CS.  And a set on my former 02 Turbo also.  No drone and saved weight, gave some mid range torque.  The other system I have used is Akropovic.  SERIOUSLY good product but man, do you pay.  I had (actually have still got) a full cats back system for a 991 Carrera S.  Full titanium, exceptional build quality. But have just checked and they only do something for 997 onwards.  

Thanks Amanda & Sven

Having looked at the Afterhours product mentioned by Trev, I think this type of solution meets my requirements for sound & price.

Am I right in thinking I only need the mufflers/silencers as opposed to the full system?

When changing to a sports system does anything need doing to the engine, or is it just, bolt on & go?

Still looking for a pre-owned system.

Got this back from Afterhours:

Ian,

Sorry, the C4S has the wide body rear bumper (similar to a turbo) and our system will not fit.

Ours are designed for the C2 and C4 narrow body rear. 

If you were here in Southern California, I would like to prototype one for your car. Thanks. 

Brian Kono

AfterHours Composite Works / Cryo Science

714-220-2030

They obviously know their stuff, however, you would think it would be the other way around, an exhaust muffler designed to fit a wide body may not fit a narrow body.

Anyone know why this fitment wont work?

Got this back from Afterhours:

Ian,

Sorry, the C4S has the wide body rear bumper (similar to a turbo) and our system will not fit.

Ours are designed for the C2 and C4 narrow body rear. 

If you were here in Southern California, I would like to prototype one for your car. Thanks. 

Brian Kono

AfterHours Composite Works / Cryo Science

714-220-2030

They obviously know their stuff, however, you would think it would be the other way around, an exhaust muffler designed to fit a wide body may not fit a narrow body.

Anyone know why this fitment wont work?

shoot! Mine is in for a ppi next week...

I fitted it myself, would be easier 2nd time round once you know what order to do things in.

I did it leaving the rear bar on, likely much easier off, but I felt like it was the sort of thing that if once off may not line up perfectly when back on and would give me shirts forever after...

I'll see what they know about C4S fitment.

Yep its good to get something pre owned but sometimes that does not equate with getting exactly what you want in a reasonable time period but it is certainly worth trying.

I looked and listened at numerous brands and really wanted a Charles Dundon (USA) custom system but the price say aud$10k was too much for me , anyway Charles suggested to me M&M and WOW I am stoked.

I have a M&M   ( also had Fabspeed Cat bypass X pipe on for a while which was OK for for a DD maybe but I wanted more of what mother nature intended ! )

http://www.m-m-germany.de/  

complete system and it is absolutely awesome ( according to others not just me) , I have the LOUD model but they have a range. They are in Germany and supply numerous Porsche racing teams blah blah. Agent  is FVD , Rhonda helped me out and if you are a Rennlister you get a discount.

FVD Brombacher, Inc.

Rhonda Roxburgh

5061 N.W. 13th Ave. Suite A

Pompano Beach, FL 33064

Phone: 954-571-2050 Ext # 1

Fax: 954-571-2060

E-Mail: rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

http://www.fvd.net

Thank Brow & Raven

Located in Cairns it's difficult if not impossible to check out different systems. Cost is also a consideration as is fitment.

Porsche Townsville won't fit aftermarket kit.

I will look into the Fister option you mention Raven. Who sells these in Australia?

Thank Brow & Raven

Located in Cairns it's difficult if not impossible to check out different systems. Cost is also a consideration as is fitment.

Porsche Townsville won't fit aftermarket kit.

I will look into the Fister option you mention Raven. Who sells these in Australia?

As per the image Raven supplied I think its just a case of having the horizontal piece welded between the 2 pipes - also have a read about the "gundo hack"...

Jim.

Just to be clear, the picture Raven posted above is like having Sport Exhaust always turned on.

....and yes, this is definitely the cheapest starting point, otherwise you're looking at the $2K ballpark just for the mufflers 

Whatever option you choose will be an improvement on the sewing machine sound ;) 

Hi guys, I'm in Adelaide and just picked up my 997 C4S tonight after having a go at the Gundo Hack.

I tried both methods and found the first method (short pipe between the inlet & outlet) way too loud and obnoxious....not to mention an old bomb of a sound!

I immediately got the guys to reverse it and try the other method (short elbow pipe between the end cap and centre pipe) which gave a slightly louder but sweet sounding note, like a Porsche should sound. He also fitted a pair of High Flow Metal Cats......all Tig Welded!

Don't do the first photo....do the 2nd photo!

Highly recommend Simon Richards (son of Ian Richards) at Ricko's in Norfolk Ave, Marion (tell him Pete sent you) :)

996 997 1.jpg

IMG_9718.jpg

Good call Sled

from what I have read about the "Gundo Hack" (your first attempt) is the larger diameter the joining pipe is, the louder the exhaust is. On yours it looks like the joining pipe is the same size i.e. the maximum so would be loudest.

From what I understand your second mod is known as the "PSE Hack" or "Banana Hack" this bypasses 2 of the 3 baffles in the muffler thus creating a less raw sound. Mainly read about 996.2 but I think the theory is the same or similar for 997. Apparently this hack is no good on 996.1 so Gundo for those cars.

I am planning "PSE Hack" for mine.

nice job by the way.

Hi guys, I'm in Adelaide and just picked up my 997 C4S tonight after having a go at the Gundo Hack.

I tried both methods and found the first method (short pipe between the inlet & outlet) way too loud and obnoxious....not to mention an old bomb of a sound!

I immediately got the guys to reverse it and try the other method (short elbow pipe between the end cap and centre pipe) which gave a slightly louder but sweet sounding note, like a Porsche should sound. He also fitted a pair of High Flow Metal Cats......all Tig Welded!

Don't do the first photo....do the 2nd photo!

Highly recommend Simon Richards (son of Ian Richards) at Ricko's in Norfolk Ave, Marion (tell him Pete sent you) :)

996 997 1.jpg

IMG_9718.jpg

Yep, I did the same. 2nd photo.  Cost bugger all. I took off the mufflers myself (very easy) and took them to a stainless steel fabricator and had them weld in a SS elbow. Perfect.  

Archived