Alan Hamilton's 944 cup car

jnr356

Fond memories of this car.driving it to Winton for Alan to race the next day.

one of the best drives i have ever witnessed,back of the grid(he didn't bother qualifying,it was for a bit of fun)car was on dry tyres.on the dummy grid it started to rain,others scrambled for wets.Alan says don't worry bout it.storms through field to finish on podium in pissing rain(behind Pollards "930").

.that man could drive!

another time at winton trying to replace the waste gate spring with the other mechanic standing on top trying to compress(was a heavy duty sucker)whilst trying to start the nuts was hilarious

DSC_0606.jpg

The Targa pictures were when Andrew Miedecke owned the car I think.... I recall it ran in several Targas, with good success.

Tasmanian Porsche dealer John Pooley also ran the car with a degree of success against much newer and more powerful cars.

It was great to see it at Rennsport in 2013 - but it hasnt been seen since. I wonder where it now resides?

Justin 

• 3 months later...

Hi jnr, Tingy and Lee,

Justin you are right !

Spirit of Australia Le Mans Hamilton 924 GT-R entry 1981. Drivers - Brocky/Richards/Bond, didn't qualify unfortunately.

Cup car -  I know where it is, but not in my garage unfortunately ! (Melbourne).

Cheers, Mark.

the Spirit of Australia 924 GTR came back to Australia I believe.

This could be an urban myth, but the car was apparently very hurriedly prepared.... and it showed. The Porsche board had given the race department  the green light to run the Jules sponsored 936/81's only months before the start of the race. One of these 936's won the race.

So the 924 came back here - with a very generous spare parts package (believed to have been free). It was driven by Colin Bond as a sister car to Alan Jones in the 935. Heavens knows where it is now?

the Spirit of Australia 924 GTR came back to Australia I believe.

This could be an urban myth, but the car was apparently very hurriedly prepared.... and it showed. The Porsche board had given the race department  the green light to run the Jules sponsored 936/81's only months before the start of the race. One of these 936's won the race.

So the 924 came back here - with a very generous spare parts package (believed to have been free). It was driven by Colin Bond as a sister car to Alan Jones in the 935. Heavens knows where it is now?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/porsches-like-pirate-treasure-court-told-20120217-1ter5.html

Alan Hamilton reacquired this particular 944 Turbo Cup within the last couple of years. However, then sold it back to the previous owner.

• 3 months later...

The Targa pictures were when Andrew Miedecke owned the car I think.... I recall it ran in several Targas, with good success.

Tasmanian Porsche dealer John Pooley also ran the car with a degree of success against much newer and more powerful cars.

It was great to see it at Rennsport in 2013 - but it hasnt been seen since. I wonder where it now resides?

Justin 

Hi guys , I own the 944 Cup Car again after selling it to Alan a few years ago  ! ......... a very special car now sitting with my 924GT & ex-Fitzgerald  968 RS Turbo  , Cheers Craig

944 cup car club night.jpg

On 08/05/2017 at 14:18, craiggt3rs said:

Hi guys , I own the 944 Cup Car again after selling it to Alan a few years ago  ! ......... a very special car now sitting with my 924GT & ex-Fitzgerald  968 RS Turbo  , Cheers Craig

944 cup car club night.jpg

Nice one craig would love to see the collection one day.. 

Archived