16" tyres

clutch-monkey

chasing semi slicks for 16x9 and 16x7 wheels, need 245's on the back minimum.

narrowed it down to toyo R888, pirelli trofeo R, Nitto Nt01
anyone have any favoured suppliers? 

just got a set of pirelli trofeo R's. Wanted as close a look as possible to the slick Hoosiers that used to be on the car. They look the business. Can't believe they are rd legal. Available through Porsche dealerships (about $2k for a set).

Pirelli also have the P7 Corsa Classic

2k a set is steep if i am going to chew them up on the track  :( Nt01's are about $1100 a set, hard to go past that kind of value? wonder if the R888's are similar. annoyed AO50's don't come in the right size.

motoring around Paddo and frequent weekend blasts for me. I'll get a few years out of them at least ?

yep definitely wouldn't hesitate for street use, but these will be for track and get used up accordingly unfortunately!

what about Hoosiers? No idea about pricing here but if you want 16" racing slicks they look the part. Got a used set in my garage, but they belonged to a tramp I have a fondness for..,

chasing semi slicks for 16x9 and 16x7 wheels, need 245's on the back minimum.

narrowed it down to toyo R888, pirelli trofeo R, Nitto Nt01
anyone have any favoured suppliers? 

I just got new 888s for mine (7s and 9s) a few weeks ago. The front (225) are the new 888R pattern. The rears (245) are the old pattern (but the new pattern should be in stock now).

Come for a drive with me. You'll see there is no problem with them ;)

Spinning Wheels (Sydney) sourced them from Toyo. I think about $1k fitted? Need to find the invoice ...

I just got new 888s for mine (7s and 9s) a few weeks ago. The front (225) are the new 888R pattern. The rears (245) are the old pattern (but the new pattern should be in stock now).

Come for a drive with me. You'll see there is no problem with them ;)

Spinning Wheels (Sydney) sourced them from Toyo. I think about $1k fitted? Need to find the invoice ...

cheers will bookmark them for future use! Ended up with kumho v70a's from hornibrook Motorsport 

cheers will bookmark them for future use! Ended up with kumho v70a's from hornibrook Motorsport 

Funny. I was in the shop about order order the Kumhos (the last R spec available in this size), when the tyre guy said: "hey the 888s are back in!".

For what it's worth, I originally had the v70s and swapped to Toyo ages ago.

• 1 month later...

Are R spec tyres like the Toyo R888 a silly idea for someone that doesn't do any/many track days? I say that because I've never done a track day but now have two booked in in Feb and March and will likely do at least two more during the year. I have 16x7 and 16x9 and am up for new tyres. I have the Toyo T1R at the back at the moment but they don't make them in 205 for the front so currently have Proxes 4. It looks like I now have a few choices of road tyre from Pirelli, Continental and Bridgestone but was thinking of maybe getting the R888. My only worry is their capability in the wet if I get caught out. I can count on one hand how many times I've driven in the rain in the 4 years I've had the car but a couple times it's been seriously wet, although it wasn't my intention to be driving in the rain. I guess I don't want tyres that require me to check the weather forecast before I take the car away for the weekend. I'm doing the Tassie SMT which is another consideration and don't want to have to park it for the day if it's wet down there. Also, what sort of mileage can I expect?

Archived