Anyone driven a Lotus Evora?

With 911's in the silly price range I'm thinking of cheaper options that allow you to drive without a second thought?

Sure 996's and 997.1 fit the bill but the fragility of those engines worry me.  Caymans with the later engines look the goods and are getting cheaper everyday.

But what else is there?

Lotus Elise/Exige are far too small and track focused for me but what about a Evora?

2+2 - tick

6 cylinder motor - tick

Air cond that works - tick

Less that 1400kg - tick

Reasonably simple mechanics - tick

Has anyone owned one or driven one long enough to give an informed opinion?

For those that don't know Pete has had a virus for quite a while now, I was keeping this to myself because I thought Pete may have sought some appropriate treatment in the meantime.

I have kept his deep dark secret to myself for some time now but i guess it's time to share this in the hope that someone out there in forum land can offer Pete some sort of clarity in his time of crisis.

This does go back a while but several weeks ago I was driving home from an afternoon out in the Porsche. Driving past a lakeside park on Lake Macquarie I spotted a Lotus Elise that is owned by someone I know, and there it was, no mistaking it, a Porsche, not just a Porsche, Peter M's 993 stuck right in the middle of these Lotus's.

Now I have known that Pete had been masquerading his Porsche as a Lotus for some time now so it was no real surprise to me that he was here.

So i went back to offer some assistance and then he proceeds to tell me how uncomfortable they are and only get driven on very short trips because of this, how is that fun Pete, driving your car 10-15kms.

Someone help Pete in his hour of need, obviously this is getting serious now.

20161023_164753.jpg

20161023_164742.jpg

Has anyone owned one or driven one long enough to give an informed opinion?

An informed opinion..no, but I have driven one. As an Exige owner at the time, it was nothing short of luxurious (it wasn't, but you get the drift). Nothing I've driven can touch the connected feeling you get from an Exige, but that 4 cylinder motor was annoying on long trips.

The Evora had 90% of the feedback, but 100% more refinement. The fact that the V6 is Toyota sourced means it is also relatively cheap to service. 

In the past, I would've said the build quality was nowhere near Porsche standards, but comparing it with early to late 2000's Porsches that I've driven, it's not far off. They're rare as well, as the marketing has never been up to scratch. 

Lee at Simply Sports Cars in Artarmon was where I took my car for service and upgrades. He ended up getting the official dealer license I believe. Pay him a visit and test drive one, you may be surprised. 

SSC

The new ones are supercharged too aren't they?

Yes, the "S"s and they go like the clappers but they are at 911 prices too unfortunately.

Maybe an intervention Stephen... :P

Probably not needed at this stage.  Maybe a early morning mid week run down Putty Road, staying away from the currently dreadful "What's for sale (in Australia) and interesting" thread for a month and a good lie down!

Yes, the "S"s and they go like the clappers but they are at 911 prices too unfortunately.

I think the S has been around for a while (with its Harrop supercharger). Here's a CarAdvice review from back in late 2010. 

Car Advice

The Evora 400 on the other hand...that's a screamer and at $195k your wallet will be lighter, which Colin Chapman would approve of.

Evora 400

I missed the "But what else is there?" bit....

An M3 surely would go close? Looking at Evora's on carsaler they are an $80k plus car!!

This does not fit you weight limit, but who cares!! http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Aston-Martin-V8-2007/OAG-AD-13827134/?Cr=0 :)

Of course there is the others you mentioned too - 996/ 997 and Cayman and for much less than $80k you could sort a 996/ 997 to be bulletproof surely??

I think @spiller will be a good candidate to offer you some advice from a dual ownership experience. I can't recall if he had an exige or evora though? but commentary seems to be from those who've had both the loti and gt3 that they are built with a similar ethos. 

Probably not needed at this stage.  Maybe a early morning mid week run down Putty Road, staying away from the currently dreadful "What's for sale (in Australia) and interesting" thread for a month and a good lie down!

I'm thinking Bylong mate, Putty is a no go at the moment.

I will only go if you take the Lotus sticker off your car.:P

I think @spiller will be a good candidate to offer you some advice from a dual ownership experience. I can't recall if he had an exige or evora though? but commentary seems to be from those who've had both the loti and gt3 that they are built with a similar ethos. 

I ran a non supercharged Exige for two years and got to drive a series 1 Exige with a Honda  K20a conversion. Serious fun. 

My swap to Porsche Cayman was to keep the mid engine layout that I love, but to hear the flat six that I always wanted. Boxes ticked.

Not sure if anyone here knows Rob Brydon (large stable of exotic machinery) but he chopped in a black 997.1 GT3 for an Evora. As a Lotus owner, even I raised my eyebrows on that one. Rob despised that GT3, although it was a bit of a lemon. When it was working right, he enjoyed it but it felt less mechanical than his Lotus. 

As the saying goes, judge it once you've driven it.

I ran a non supercharged Exige for two years and got to drive a series 1 Exige with a Honda  K20a conversion. Serious fun. 

My swap to Porsche Cayman was to keep the mid engine layout that I love, but to hear the flat six that I always wanted. Boxes ticked.

Not sure if anyone here knows Rob Brydon (large stable of exotic machinery) but he chopped in a black 997.1 GT3 for an Evora. As a Lotus owner, even I raised my eyebrows on that one. Rob despised that GT3, although it was a bit of a lemon. When it was working right, he enjoyed it but it felt less mechanical than his Lotus. 

As the saying goes, judge it once you've driven it.

I guess I will offer some context here, I know Peter was considering GT3 recently.. hence I'd ask Simon to chime in. But that is interesting comments, especially the "when working right" part. 

I guess I will offer some context here, I know Peter was considering GT3 recently.. hence I'd ask Simon to chime in. But that is interesting comments, especially the "when working right" part. 

I was surprised too. I was deep into the research stage of my Porsche and was absorbing everything I could read. 

Amongst all of the angst with IMS and scored bores, nothing bad ever came up with GT3s (the motor was fine, it was suspension and transmission if I recall). 

Robs seems to have been a Friday car and the dealer was very good at making things right, but in his mind the damage was done. He sold it and moved on. 

I was surprised too. I was deep into the research stage of my Porsche and was absorbing everything I could read. 

Amongst all of the angst with IMS and scored bores, nothing bad ever came up with GT3s (the motor was fine, it was suspension and transmission if I recall). 

Robs seems to have been a Friday car and the dealer was very good at making things right, but in his mind the damage was done. He sold it and moved on. 

That is interesting that you say transmission + suspension.. the Mk1 997's were known to have a faulty crankcase casting (too porous) so I instantly thought he may have been a victim.

Friday built car? I totally concur with the theory. 

I had an exige cup 240 before the GT3...cool car, excellent steering and chassis but I prefer the driving experience in my GT3. The GT3 is probably more modified and is a quicker car but mostly I prefer the rear engine handling dymanics. On the street the Lotus was more capable with a smaller performance envelope. But IMO once you've experienced a 911 at close to the limits, everything else pales in comparison. It sounds really wanky but its true!

I had an exige cup 240 before the GT3...cool car, excellent steering and chassis but I prefer the driving experience in my GT3. The GT3 is probably more modified and is a quicker car but mostly I prefer the rear engine handling dymanics. On the street the Lotus was more capable with a smaller performance envelope. But IMO once you've experienced a 911 at close to the limits, everything else pales in comparison. It sounds really wanky but its true!

Doesn't sound wanky to me!. I lusted after the Cup. Advancing age and a dodgy knee was making the usual drama of getting out of it (Spiller knows what I mean!) become a little bit tiresome. Still miss it though.The way that car would stick like a limpet around Oran Park / Eastern Creek and then soak up Sydney's horrendous roads for the drive back, never ceased to amaze me. 

Doesn't sound wanky to me!. I lusted after the Cup. Advancing age and a dodgy knee was making the usual drama of getting out of it (Spiller knows what I mean!) become a little bit tiresome. Still miss it though.The way that car would stick like a limpet around Oran Park / Eastern Creek and then soak up Sydney's horrendous roads for the drive back, never ceased to amaze me

Getting (or climbing, I should say) in and out of that thing was a real event for sure! Actually that's one big difference between the Porsche and the Lotus (and it would be the same for the Evora) - you are in the tub in the lotus whereas the 911 feels more like a regular passenger car to sit in. Lotus cars are somewhere between car and gokart.

911s are sought after, Evoras are not, there are good reasons for that.  

Id happilyown an Exige - cup260 or one with Honda VTEC supercharged in lieu of the Toyota engine.

Evora, meh.  Lotuses should be light and nimble, not bland and heavy with a Taxi engine.

Always thought it was a bit heavy for a lotus, but by all accounts very well balanced cars. The new ones are supercharged too aren't they?

Evora S's seem to be universally acclaimed but are at 911 money.  This review by the normally super critical Steve Sutcliffe - ex UK Touring Car Champion - is interesting as he comments on the shortcomings of the early Evora's - not so great gearshift and dash - gives some reason why they're priced the way they are I suspect.

Worth a watch:

• 1 year later...

Archived