996 C2 Manual Coupe Values

"A 3.4 is worth in the $30s"  is contradicting your own initial statement. A 996 3.6 at the same price (re $48000) leaves a 3.4 in the 30's as more bang for buck.

Min $10000 (20%) saving and a mere pissarse less HP and Torque. Best bang for back in this conversation is actually a 996 c4 3.4 auto cab with over 150ks  - lowest cost of the lot by a mile and would almost keep up with the other two and handle pretty much the same at the etremes and stop the same

Actually, you misunderstood my post. At the price of $48000 a 996 3.6 (very achievable price/car) would be better bang for the buck.than the 3.4 car being discussed.

The real world price of a 3.4 is in the $30s....then the dynamic of what's better bang for the buck obviously changes, right?

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes I get what you said now, if spending 48K on either. Yes the 3.6 goes just a bit quicker on paper but really it's not noticeable on the bum dyno.

I don't agree that for 90% of sales a 3.4 is in the 30's for a man c2 coupe which is what we're referring to. Times have moved on and the lowest they ever really got for a reasonable 100k car was the odd one advertised at about 40k and almost always those odd ones were usually high k modified not so good cond cars.

That's a nice car P-Kay and unlike a few I think the Arena red is a top colour. Seen it on ebay once or twice around and it's pretty simple that it all comes down to the high k's vs the $$$$. Our Coxster S is a tip and though I prefer a mans'pedal, it's a fantastic thing especially with the chrono. I think a 996 mk1 auto is way underrated  as a car but thing is, the autos are gonna sit in the $30's for while to come IMO, except for a 50 - 90klm excellent cond with options coz someone out there needs an auto for traffic DD.

OK maybe bang for your buck was the wrong phraseology, I should have said that at 48k I think this represents (arguably) the best 911 buy at the moment...low k's, full history... assuming you're like most on here and prefer a C2 manual coupe.

That's a nice car P-Kay and unlike a few I think the Arena red is a top colour. Seen it on ebay once or twice around and it's pretty simple that it all comes down to the high k's vs the $$$$. Our Coxster S is a tip and though I prefer a mans'pedal, it's a fantastic thing especially with the chrono. I think a 996 mk1 auto is way underrated  as a car but thing is, the autos are gonna sit in the $30's for while to come IMO, except for a 50 - 90klm excellent cond with options coz someone out there needs an auto for traffic DD.

Agreed, just a shameless plug to get some exposure ;) Although, on the occasions that I do drive it, I think to myself 'are you sure? what are you going to replace it with?'

First world problems.....

Ah yes I get what you said now, if spending 48K on either. Yes the 3.6 goes just a bit quicker on paper but really it's not noticeable on the bum dyno.

I don't agree that for 90% of sales a 3.4 is in the 30's for a man c2 coupe which is what we're referring to. Times have moved on and the lowest they ever really got for a reasonable 100k car was the odd one advertised at about 40k and almost always those odd ones were usually high k modified not so good cond cars.

Sorry, but you're just wrong. When I was looking for a 996 18 months ago, a number of 3.4s sold for low $30ks. Have they risen in price since? Maybe, but I'd be surprised. I admit I've only been watching the 3.6 market since then. The 3.6 is a more desirable car for many reasons IMO....others' opinions may differ.

ANYWAY, my point is, a 3.4 at $48k is far from a bargain, and surely there's more to 'bang for the buck' than just HP and torque and the bum dyno. How about a nicer interior and headlights with the 3.6, for a start?

Agreed, just a shameless plug to get some exposure ;) Although, on the occasions that I do drive it, I think to myself 'are you sure? what are you going to replace it with?'

First world problems.....

Definitely agree there...that's the hard part...what to replace it with?

Sorry, but you're just wrong. When I was looking for a 996 18 months ago, a number of 3.4s sold for low $30ks. Have they risen in price since? Maybe, but I'd be surprised. I admit I've only been watching the 3.6 market since then. The 3.6 is a more desirable car for many reasons IMO....others' opinions may differ.

ANYWAY, my point is, a 3.4 at $48k is far from a bargain, and surely there's more to 'bang for the buck' than just HP and torque and the bum dyno. How about a nicer interior and headlights with the 3.6, for a start?

Where am I wrong? You say 18 months back. I refer to  now ....and I assume you are talking C2 Man coupes as per the thread/post. And you say you haven't been watching the 3.4 market for 18 months - I have! So how do you work out a 3.4 at $48k is far from a bargain? I never said or referred to it as a  "bargain"  but I agree though, that it isn't a bargain. I think it's a nice car at a fair price.

You referred to 3.4 no one wants them and used the inference of bang for buck relating only to engine size vs 3.6.

Now if you're talking bang for buck relating to quality and dynamics of all areas of the car Mk1 vs Mk2, there's bugger all difference in the whole scheme of the car that make any big difference besides the headlights, which seems to be the main point of contention for most (but every year the runny eggs are gaining more love). Aside from engine size, glovebox, and interior is 98% the same along with features (int quality is the same) they are basically overall the same car. 

IMO the sale price in general for reasonable quality and reasonable klms cars for 3.4s and 3.6s hovers around about the same. Depending on ext colour, int colour, condition, service history, options, add ons,  klms and final $$$$ paid. But if you had the EXACT same mk1 for sale next to the EXACT same mk2 for the same $$$$ (which is not in any way reality), I would buy the MK2  and only because of the engine size and glovebox. (just as an aside, I've driven both types a fair few times and IMO the Mk1 feels lighter and the most like a 993 C2 out of the 2

Where am I wrong? You say 18 months back. I refer to  now ....and I assume you are talking C2 Man coupes as per the thread/post. And you say you haven't been watching the 3.4 market for 18 months - I have! So how do you work out a 3.4 at $48k is far from a bargain? I never said or referred to it as a  "bargain"  but I agree though, that it isn't a bargain. I think it's a nice car at a fair price.

You referred to 3.4 no one wants them and used the inference of bang for buck relating only to engine size vs 3.6.

Now if you're talking bang for buck relating to quality and dynamics of all areas of the car Mk1 vs Mk2, there's bugger all difference in the whole scheme of the car that make any big difference besides the headlights, which seems to be the main point of contention for most (but every year the runny eggs are gaining more love). Aside from engine size, glovebox, and interior is 98% the same along with features (int quality is the same) they are basically overall the same car. 

IMO the sale price in general for reasonable quality and reasonable klms cars for 3.4s and 3.6s hovers around about the same. Depending on ext colour, int colour, condition, service history, options, add ons,  klms and final $$$$ paid. But if you had the EXACT same mk1 for sale next to the EXACT same mk2 for the same $$$$ (which is not in any way reality), I would buy the MK2  and only because of the engine size and glovebox. (just as an aside, I've driven both types a fair few times and IMO the Mk1 feels lighter and the most like a 993 C2 out of the 2

Ok...whatever you reckon.

I still disagree.

Pretty subjective, but i guess here's are good examples: (talking about man c2)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2001/SSE-AD-4590774/

vs

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/SSE-AD-4539529/

Pretty good comparo, 10K difference, similar K's and condition. Which would you pick? Assuming they may both be above or below market price, the delta between them would probably stay similar.

Personally in my opinion, if both dropped 4-5k in price is where i'd see a "fair price" and they'd sell pretty quick.

The 45-46K 3.6's were 140-160k kms, which i do agree is a much better deal than the current 120-140k kms 3.4s we see now for a similar price (Also why they are still on the market), but some people still prefer < 100K km cars.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a high 30k 3.4 (manual) in a long time, but i'd surmise it would sell pretty quick.

Pretty subjective, but i guess here's are good examples: (talking about man c2)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2001/SSE-AD-4590774/

vs

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/SSE-AD-4539529/

Pretty good comparo, 10K difference, similar K's and condition. Which would you pick? Assuming they may both be above or below market price, the delta between them would probably stay similar.

Personally in my opinion, if both dropped 4-5k in price is where i'd see a "fair price" and they'd sell pretty quick.

The 45-46K 3.6's were 140-160k kms, which i do agree is a much better deal than the current 120-140k kms 3.4s we see now for a similar price (Also why they are still on the market), but some people still prefer < 100K km cars.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a high 30k 3.4 (manual) in a long time, but i'd surmise it would sell pretty quick.

Ok...hopefully I have enough self control to not post on this subject again. lol..it's quite frustrating. ASKING price and SELLING price are two completely different things. Comparing asking prices on carsales is pointless. I've bought and sold dozens of cars and motorbikes on carsales....AND I've followed up on sold cars and motorbikes to see what they REALLY went for. Ask the sellers what they've been offered as a trade in or, better still, what a dealer has offered them for an outright purchase. (Not that they'd tell you)

I won't bother going into further detail because I sense you really don't want to hear it, but if either of those cars sell for the asking prices, then the purchaser/s didn't do their homework. OTOH, if you don't ask, you don't get!

No need to get frustrated.. its a forum thread about discussing values.

Happy to hear you or anyone's opinion on the "real" value of both those cars.

Anyway at this stage, their asking is all i've got to start/speculate/procrastinate with.

i'm sure the price of the 996's are on the rise... 

Yeah that's the feeling i get too, maybe i'm wrong, but i figure as every other 911 is so dam expensive in this "bubble?" the next logical step are these cheap 996's.

here's a nice RED, GT3 look

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1999/OAG-AD-14424277/?Cr=33

is that a porsche steering wheel option? or aftermarket?

Factory aerokit (body kit including wing, side skirts and front bar) which is the same as the mk1 gt3 although the underside of the deck lid is different. 

Steering wheel is aftermarket 

Kit is aftermarket as well

Don't think so - looks OEM. Only say this as I have been looking at buying bumper and skirts so would be interested to hear why you think it is aftermarket

Kit is aftermarket as well

I'd say its genuine as well, only way to tell is either the option sticker under the frunk lid or the part number and "turnwald" "made in france" embossed on the underside of the deck lid. 

However if it's not on the frunk/manual sticker it could have still been added by the dealer or even privately. Also the fact the original Mobil1 sticker is on the decklid makes me lean towards it being genuine too. 

Middle hole on the front spoiler and lower bumper skirts were different than factory. All academic now as it sold a few hours back. Must have been an idiot looking for a 3.4 ;) and with a high 150000 klms - and @ $50k. must have sold as soon as Lorbeks opened  - did look very very nice though..

Middle hole is for the 3rd radiator that only the GT3, tiptronic and x51 kits have. Manual non x51 cars have that closed up, same as the mk2. 

Anyway 50k @150kms... Interesting, wonder if it really sold for that. 

Point taken. I'm sure they wouldn't have budged on price only having it listed online for around 12 hours, no need to. Lorbeks rarely seem to lower their advertised prices even when a car's sitting for months and months.

Middle hole on the front spoiler and lower bumper skirts were different than factory. All academic now as it sold a few hours back. Must have been an idiot looking for a 3.4 ;) and with a high 150000 klms - and @ $50k. must have sold as soon as Lorbeks opened  - did look very very nice though..

And a C4 too!

I thought it looked good too.  Reinforced my desire (which I was retreating from over the weekend) to put on a GT3 bumper and skirts.

wow, wanted to check it out more, and already gone, did it really sell for that price?

How interesting, it must've hit someones buy it now button.

And i was just going to say 50k "priced to sell" yeah right.. and thar she goes..proved wrong yet again. Right time right person wanting it i guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived