996 C2 Manual Coupe Values

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't want to be overly paranoid but the images look like they've been saved from another Carsales ad and uploaded again - they all have two watermarks. 

A quick call should sort that out, hopefully not too good to be true / a serviceman in Iraq who can only receive wire transfers...

Don't want to be overly paranoid but the images look like they've been saved from another Carsales ad and uploaded again - they all have two watermarks. 

A quick call should sort that out, hopefully not too good to be true / a serviceman in Iraq who can only receive wire transfers...

It is in WA, first sign....

Argh, missed out on one. So close, but yet so far :(.

Anyway I think i've settled on what i want. 

Looking for Silver 996.2 3.6 < 100k kms, willing to pay around 50-55K for it depending on options/condition. Will go a little higher if clutch, ims, rms have been done.

Still contemplating whether I should just save some cash and get a 996.1 :(

The wait continues....

Funny reading opinions on why one car is better than another. Recent history has shown us how quickly opinions can swing. The G50 3.2 Carrera used to be the must have impact bumper car. Now the G50 is for those that don't know how to change gears and the 915 is better because it's a more mechanical feel. The 3.0 Carrera is now better because its engine is peakier. A longhood is no longer a glorified beetle and is the most fun to drive because it's so raw. In the end people make up their own reasons why they must have a particular model and if enough people believe it, it influences the whole market. I've lost count of the amount of people that have said the MK1 996 is a shit car but no one can actually tell me why other than fried egg headlights. If people can justify an extra $10-$20k on a MK2 because of headlights and 0.2 litres, then good on them but don't be sad when opinion swings towards the MK1, a landmark car in the history of Porsche, the first water cooled 911, one of it's most popular models ever produced, rescued the company from dwindling sales of an incredibly tired and outdated 993, with an engine that likes to rev harder than the MK2, more reliable IMS than the MK2 and 997.1, same headlights as the LeMans winning 996 GT1, blah blah blah, you get the picture. And don't discount the tiptronic, I've said it before, millenials don't know how to drive manuals, and these cars were the hero cars when they were kids.

Looking for Silver 996.2 3.6 < 100k kms, willing to pay around 50-55K for it depending on options/condition. Will go a little higher if clutch, ims, rms have been done.

The wait continues....

If you're at 55k IMO you might as well consider the silver 3.6 manual in QLD for $62k if you can. 

I personally prefer the mk2, stronger cylinder liners (less risk of D chunck), less risk of intermix, IMS can be upgraded to ceramic dual row from single row, glove box, better quality sound system, better OBC, variocam plus, better aerodynamics, revised front end the list goes on.

However this isn't a 3.4 vs 3.6 debate they are both great cars. Buy the one that is best for you.  

yeah going by my own investment decisions, no doubt i'm going to make the worst decision ever and the mk1's will shoot up in price vs the mk 2.

In the the end not buying a car for investment, and i'm going to daily drive it, and hopefully drive/keep it for awhile.  At this stage following the mantra of buying the best/latest i can afford?, and that's the 3.6. I really don't mind the mk1, but mk2 is my current personal preference.

The wait continues....

I was about to say have you looked at the $48,000 silver 996.1 in SA that I posted a link to a couple of pages ago, but I see it has now sold.  Wonder what it went for.

For what it's worth (nothing really because I haven't driven a 996.2 or any other P-car for that matter), I love my 996.1!

I'm sure i saw those pics in an advertisement about 2.5yrs ago.  Was selling for $38k from memory, car was supposed to be in Margret River area.  Still, could be genuine ad and the new owner just reused the old pics.  

@Kerry or other moderators, I'm puzzled why this thread has sat in the Technical forum for so long. Might it more appropriately reside in the Marketplace > General Marketplace and Values subforum?

...and seeing that I was having a bit of a shake up yesterday on the homepage, creating some new and relagating the old, seems like the perfect time to do it MMan... hold on, here we go!

...and here we are! :ph34r:

Indeed. I couldn't help myself though, have sent an email off, we'll see what happens...

Sold but seemed legit from the message I got back advising it was gone... Someone might have got a bargain there.

Indeed. I couldn't help myself though, have sent an email off, we'll see what happens...

If you do go with the car in WA, i can recommend CEVA for shipping after using them to get my recent purchase to Melbourne. Just be prepared for the car to take a number of weeks to arrive!

Normally it takes a couple of weeks to get the car onto the train East, but there was an extra week delay due to volumes 6 weeks ago when I used them. On top of that I had an extra delay as floods in WA closed the train line East whilst my car was still in WA... But in the end the car arrived in perfect condition and for far less than I expected.

Edit: just saw your post that the car was already sold... Bad luck!

I've lost count of the amount of people that have said the MK1 996 is a shit car but no one can actually tell me why other than fried egg headlights. 

I'm in your camp, love the 996.1 Carrera, especially the first year cars with the amber indicators and all.

is that big screen in the lower console porsche standard or aftermarket?  Navigation?

Interesting install...the ones I've previously seen lower the a/c controls, remove the radio and place the new big screen gizmo to the top. I would guess the screen on this is JUST nav, as the radio is still there.

Interesting install...the ones I've previously seen lower the a/c controls, remove the radio and place the new big screen gizmo to the top. I would guess the screen on this is JUST nav, as the radio is still there.

Thats how the PCM1 and PCM2 come from the factory. Unit up top,  cd holder then HVAC controls. 

Thats an odd set up seeming the original radio is still there.

I've seen a few ipod mini installs as well. With the new units that allow you to keep your most amplifier there are quite a few options now. 

Sorry to lower the tone of this thread by discussing an auto but as a semi-daily driver this seems pretty cheap...?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1999/SSE-AD-4625326

Lacking in details of the history but seems pretty clean and original apart from the swapped head and tail lights for newer ones (or are these an "in between" the orange indicators and the later MkII lights?)

I'm not sure when the clear indicators came in. My 2000 has them so if it's a late 1999, they may be standard. Definately priced to sell quickly unless there's something we don't know about it.

Archived