996 C2 Manual Coupe Values

I looked at 996.1's but found they did not have the wow factor a Porsche should have.

I then drove a 996.2 with cargraphic exhaust and K&N air filter. Christ!! What a difference!

Five years, and too many speeding tickets I still own it. It has now done 200,000km and still gives me a grin every time I jump in it.

My advice Pay a bit extra and get a 996.2.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to lower the tone of this thread by discussing an auto but as a semi-daily driver this seems pretty cheap...?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1999/SSE-AD-4625326

Lacking in details of the history but seems pretty clean and original apart from the swapped head and tail lights for newer ones (or are these an "in between" the orange indicators and the later MkII lights?)

Priced to sell at 33, offer 25 and when he rejects it, up it with a wave of 28 cashola under his nose and you'll be driving it away, even if you have to settle on 30..... with reasonable history and in good nick, it's a winner, Turbo twists a bonus....You're in Sydney, if you're after an auto jump right in

i've driven a 996.1, yet to try a 996.2, so i'll reserve my judgement until i drive one. 

That auto does look great, and well kept. I have to say, most owners of these vehicles (from the few i've seen) are quite meticulous and keep these cars very well. (or a testament to their build quality) but i've seen a couple > 100k kms, and very very clean.

I looked at 996.1's but found they did not have the wow factor a Porsche should have.

I then drove a 996.2 with cargraphic exhaust and K&N air filter. Christ!! What a difference!

Five years, and too many speeding tickets I still own it. It has now done 200,000km and still gives me a grin every time I jump in it.

My advice Pay a bit extra and get a 996.2.

Yet again the 996.1 cops a bashing. My 996.1 wows me every time I drive it, in fact every time I take the cover off. I haven't driven a 996.2 but I can say that putting a Cargraphic exhaust on and doing a version of the Orange cap mod with BMC F1 filter on my 996.1 transformed it. It was already slightly lowered when I got it and I think this really sharpens up the looks, not sure the difference in handling and ride over original but I'm very happy with it. Also not sure the difference but I really liked the fact the early cars have cable throttle, my RS Clio has drive by wire throttle, it's good but just misses out on having a truly crisp instant response. Again haven't tried a .2 but I love the instant throttle response and revvy nature of the 3.4 engine. I also like not having any gizmos other than ABS on the brakes/suspension, the limit is so high on a non-gizmo early C2 I really wouldn't want further mothering with 4WD and/or gizmo's. It also simplifies diy maintenance. I've also read Jake Raby say on Rennlist that the early 3.4's are the most reliable of the non GT3 996's. I'm sure the .2 is awesome too but I really dont understand why there would be a 10k difference between identical condition .1 and .2 cars...unless you want a 10k glove box. 

My 996.1 has a Gemballa sports exhaust and a Fabspeed Cold Air Intake.  They make a huge difference to the car in terms of creating a sense of occasion every time you drive the car.  I have driven a number of 996.1 and 996.2 and suggest the difference on a stock car is minimal and concur with earlier sentiment of buying on condition and history.  

Yet again the 996.1 cops a bashing. My 996.1 wows me every time I drive it, in fact every time I take the cover off. I haven't driven a 996.2 but I can say that putting a Cargraphic exhaust on and doing a version of the Orange cap mod with BMC F1 filter on my 996.1 transformed it. It was already slightly lowered when I got it and I think this really sharpens up the looks, not sure the difference in handling and ride over original but I'm very happy with it. Also not sure the difference but I really liked the fact the early cars have cable throttle, my RS Clio has drive by wire throttle, it's good but just misses out on having a truly crisp instant response. Again haven't tried a .2 but I love the instant throttle response and revvy nature of the 3.4 engine. I also like not having any gizmos other than ABS on the brakes/suspension, the limit is so high on a non-gizmo early C2 I really wouldn't want further mothering with 4WD and/or gizmo's. It also simplifies diy maintenance. I've also read Jake Raby say on Rennlist that the early 3.4's are the most reliable of the non GT3 996's. I'm sure the .2 is awesome too but I really dont understand why there would be a 10k difference between identical condition .1 and .2 cars...unless you want a 10k glove box. 

You get more than a glove box for the extra 10k see my post from a few pages back on the mk1 vs mk2, not saying the 996.1 isn't a great car, its still a 996 which are great cars.

Every generation and iteration of the 911 is a better car than the last, has more features and has more power.

If you're at 55k IMO you might as well consider the silver 3.6 manual in QLD for $62k if you can. 

I personally prefer the mk2, stronger cylinder liners (less risk of D chunck), less risk of intermix, IMS can be upgraded to ceramic dual row from single row, glove box, better quality sound system, better OBC, variocam plus, better aerodynamics, revised front end the list goes on.

However this isn't a 3.4 vs 3.6 debate they are both great cars. Buy the one that is best for you.  

Recognizing that we're debating over levels of awesomeness and its kind of dumb...but what the hell...this is a forum and we're all grown up children here, so I will counter your intermix with bore scoring (apparently the .2 are more prone to it). No need to 'upgrade' to questionable ceramic dual row as the 1 already has a questionable steel dual row. Better quality sound system and better aerodynamics could'nt care less. Better OBC, I might care if I knew what it was. Variocam plus, I'm perfectly happy with my Variocam normale thanks. Revised front end, ie different front end, personal preference. So there, ner ner na ner ner. Now let's pack up our toys, shake hands and stop playing with our conkers.

Definitely both awesome cars. Yes, .2 has more cases of bore scoring, I'd still upgrade the dual row bearing as they have a lower failure rate but still not exempt just not as risky as the single.

OBC is on board computer, sound system in the MK1 is more flexible because you can add aux very cheaply but the most is better quality but painful to make any modification to. 

i think no one is disagreeing that 996.1 is the best bang for buck, by far. In the end it's just whatever people are comfortable to afford and what they have their heart set on.

Ok so i've got a question, maybe wrong topic, but when i drove the 996.1, I didn't love it. I was spending more time fighting/figuring out the controls than anything else - that said it's my first and only time.

The clutch seemed really heavy, and there's a funny bounce to it, like different pressures points, which wasn't near the engagement point, which was really high. 

The gearbox didn't seem to slot into second very well (it did have a short shift kit) and there was a lot of play with it.

The throttle was a little sticky (it's the cable version). Are these just issues with a high KM car, that can be easily rectified? Or am I just weak as i haven't driven a proper sports car in awhile and just need some time to get use to it.

(brakes also needed a good stomp to pull up the car, but it did)

Pedal and steering positions were perfect tho.

Side note: I have driven a similar era boxster S before, a long while ago, but definitely dont remember any issues, and remembered loving the car.

I drove Mike's 996.2 a couple months ago. I honestly felt like I was sitting in my car (996.1tip), the interior colour is identical, both have the 3 spoke steering wheel and everything was in exactly the same spot. Brakes felt the same although I do agree they do need a firm push to get them to stop. Mine has fly by wire throttle so can't comment on the cable throttle. Having said that, mine does feel a little sticky and I suspect it's the pedal mechanism. I did comment to Mike how heavy the clutch was as I was surprised in a small modern car. He didn't think anything of it but learned since that his thingenmy jig was buggered and now it's lighter. So maybe the thingenmy jig on the car you drove was also buggered? (the word/part escapes me at the moment) Gear selection issues would have to be wear and tear.

i think no one is disagreeing that 996.1 is the best bang for buck, by far. In the end it's just whatever people are comfortable to afford and what they have their heart set on.

Ok so i've got a question, maybe wrong topic, but when i drove the 996.1, I didn't love it. I was spending more time fighting/figuring out the controls than anything else - that said it's my first and only time.

The clutch seemed really heavy, and there's a funny bounce to it, like different pressures points, which wasn't near the engagement point, which was really high. 

The gearbox didn't seem to slot into second very well (it did have a short shift kit) and there was a lot of play with it.

The throttle was a little sticky (it's the cable version). Are these just issues with a high KM car, that can be easily rectified? Or am I just weak as i haven't driven a proper sports car in awhile and just need some time to get use to it.

Side note: I have driven a similar era boxster S before, a long while ago, but definitely dont remember any issues, and remembered loving the car.

Maybe start a new thread but here are some answers to your quesitons

You will get used to the controls once you understand what everything does and where it is.

Heavy clutch:

- If the friction point is high it needs a new clutch around $1k in parts - disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing (not including flywheel which is an extra $1500+) aprox $800+ in labour

- Also plan for a new clutch helper spring if the clutch is heavy, it should be easy to operate

Gearbox:

- SSK will be notchy before its warm especially getting into 1st

- Could just need an alignment or a gearbox oil change

- Its a DIY to replace it, plenty of options 997 shifter being one of the best

Throttle

- Could just need a clean or replacement of the cable

Brakes

- If it doesnt stop you need new brakes also a DIY if you're game there are good how to videos 

I drove Mike's 996.2 a couple months ago. I honestly felt like I was sitting in my car (996.1tip), the interior colour is identical, both have the 3 spoke steering wheel and everything was in exactly the same spot. Brakes felt the same although I do agree they do need a firm push to get them to stop. Mine has fly by wire throttle so can't comment on the cable throttle. Having said that, mine does feel a little sticky and I suspect it's the pedal mechanism. I did comment to Mike how heavy the clutch was as I was surprised in a small modern car. He didn't think anything of it but learned since that his thingenmy jig was buggered and now it's lighter. So maybe the thingenmy jig on the car you drove was also buggered? (the word/part escapes me at the moment) Gear selection issues would have to be wear and tear.

Clutch helper spring, located under the dash. Nightmare job to change 

I concur with Dan, clutch should be relatively light and smooth (it's certainly a lot lighter/smoother than my RS Clio) as should the throttle, otherwise it's gonna be a pig off the line...having said that I have been caught out a few times not having enough revs, stalling and looking a complete knob. I use Nulon G70 smooth shift additive in all my gearboxes, I do remember before changing the oil and putting the additive in 2nd was a bit tricky...either the additive has worked magic or I've got used to it, either way the box with standard shifter feels great now and I've lost the desire for an SSK. Brakes do need a good stomp, bit disconcerting to begin with but no need to worry about there ability. A nicely sorted car on the right road it all comes together and makes sense. Test driving a glitchy 996 in city traffic will never be fun.

Thanks for the replies,

Otherwise the car was perfect for interior/exterior, given it's km's, was absolutely amazing.  Just needs a bit of the controls refreshed, which i figured was the case.

Budget for repairs, a car of that age and kms is going to need some TLC. 

Both really nice cars, really just depends if you want a manual or auto because you cant really compare them. 

Manual is more desirable and IMO will hold its value more than an auto. 

However again, comes down to personal preference and what suits you. 

Archived