Throttle delay on release.

Pokiou

Hi fellow Porsche owners,

I recently noticed something on my 996 C2, when i release my throttle after some acceleration there is a delay in the response from the throttle. maybe .5 to 1 second delay. 

I don't know if this is normal or if its something i should be looking into getting sorted? Hasnt affected anything but i think it might help with smoother gear changes.

Any insight would be great.

D.

I had a similar problem in my 924S. It was cable tension. I replaced the cam with a better responding one and tensioned the cable and didn't have any problems after that. Not sure if you can get a similar mod for the 996?

Hmm, well the throttle is not sticky at all its really smooth. But when i lift off, it takes like 1 second for the car to respond.. maybe i need to see if the cable is loose on the throttle body. 

I guess I would start by cleaning the throttle body air inlet while at idle. (just get some TB cleaner and spray etc) 

I had a look through some forums about the "potentiometers" , and cleaning the tracks. (disconnect the battery before pulling the TB apart) 

Hope this helps

hilst chasing a vacuum leak I removed the throttle body from the car and took it apart to have a go at cleaning the potentiometer. 

Pretty easy to do really. Once the throttle body is out of the car, there are 6 clips that hold a plastic cover onto the side of it. Remove these by prying off with a thin flat screwdriver - do it from the metal side or you will damage the plastic. 

Carefully tease the plastic cover away and inside you'll see some tracks and metal brushes. I cleaned the tracks using some IPA and a cotton bud. The cotton bud was black by the time I finished so it was definitely dirty. 

I've not had a chance to take it out for a drive yet, but I'll post an update when I do. 

Apologies for the bad quality photos - v. old iphone.

tb2.JPG
 Description:

Filesize: 228.02 KB
 Viewed: 5729 Time(s)

tb2.JPG

tb1.jpg
 Description:

Filesize: 233.25 KB
 Viewed: 5729 Time(s)

tb1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Macca,

I didn't really have to much time to take it past the workshop due to getting stuff ready for the Melbourne F1. In the mean time i put a cable tie at the end of the throttle cable where the lead stopper is. This took up about 90% of the slack and started to ready 98% throttle on the software when i connected to the OBD reader. Now when i lift off its not as bad. It feels a lot more natural to be honest. Throttle response it a lot more crisp. 

I did take her for a drive up to healsville yesterday and around the twisty roads and it felt pretty good. I wish i had more bottom end power lol.

Few things can be done:

- Clean throttle body (easy DIY, remove airbox, remove cable and remove 5 bolts and the throttle comes off) as its a MK1 then chances are it needs to be cleaned being 16+ years old

- Take apart, clean and lube pedal assembly 

Although not having driven a drive by cable MK1 I can't comment on its characteristics although following the procedures above should help

Archived