Premium automotive tools

I have been getting by the last few years with a mix of Supercheap el-crappo spanners and a few nice Sidchrome sockets, but would like to slowly replace the bad tools with the very good.

As I get more adventurous in working on my car i'm finding the cheap stuff doesn't always hold up.

My plan is to buy say once nice spanner each pay so I can start ditching the cheap ones.  It will be a slow process but that's okay.

My preference is to buy German tools - the Stahwille brand looks very nice.  Or I suppose I could make friends with my local Snap-on franchise, which seems to be a popular and obvious choice.

What premium tools are other people using?  

(and not to sound rude but i'm not interested in Repco, Kingchrome, Stanley tool suggestions - yes they make some decent stuff with great warranties but I want something befitting a classic Porsche 911)

Cheers

Alex

My most prized possession in the garage is the Stahlwille socket set my father bought when he started work as a fitter back in the 50's. The sockets have been used consistently for half a century and are still in pristine condition. I'm yet to find better quality tools.

I've had 40 years of use out of my Stahlwille ring/open enders and sockets, with no failures or deterioration.  The (then) Stahlwille agents, Tool Supplies at Milton, used to take great delight in displaying failed examples of "lesser" brands such as Sidchrome, on their front counter.

That said, I just found another German brand, Proxxon, who sell, among other things, a rotary ratchet wrench.  Great for working in those Porsche tight spaces where you can't swing a normal ratchet.  Here's a YouTube demo - watch until the end...

And - you can buy them in Oz - about $85 delivered.

http://www.proxxonworld.com.au/catalog

I've been cleaning out my dad's garage and he was still using a set of Sidchrome sockets that he had before I was born, he told me it was his first set that he spent his hard earned on so i believe they are over 60yrs old.

Thanks for the suggestions team.  I went and checked out my mechanic's toolbox the other day - he has mostly Snapon and Stahlwille - and Stahlwille definitely the go for me.  It's just a pity that since Masters closed down it's not easy to find in shops and has to be ordered online.

Archived