Removal of Stone Guard Stickers

TINGY

I started this nightmare last night with a heat gun, what a sticky mess and it didn't work. After it cooled down it just formed a big congealed gumball.

I tried 3M wax and grease remover and this didn't help either. Today after trolling the interweb i came across a sticker eraser that attaches to a drill.

20170516_145227.jpg

It's some sort of rubber compound and this is the result i got, more mess.

20170516_161045.jpg

Yep it removes the stone guards but from the friction also creates sticky gobs of adhesive and plastic and also as the wheel spins it throws the sticky mess back onto the underside of where it has just been removed.

I also got some 3M sticker adhesive remover but this won't budge the gunk very well either, WD40 works a little better, haven't got much faith in the big brand, big price cleaners.

20170516_145307.jpg

Anyone else got any experience doing this?

are you going to put on a replacement?

I have been thinking of peeling mine off but replacing them with a light grey tone instead of clear

I have new ones and they will probably go on although i don't particularly like them.

Bugger!  When I saw that photo I though you had cracked the code!

Tea tree oil, plastic scrapers, wax & grease remover, patience and lots of clean rag as once the fabric is clogged with glue it just skids across the surface and does nothing further.

But it's worth the effort in the end.  

Try using one of those steam cleaners from Karcher to heat up the sticker so that it is easier to remove. This is what tint shops use when they need to remove old tint film. Use Goo-gone or similar to remove the remaining adhesive.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/storage-cleaning/cleaning/vacuum-steam-cleaners/steam-cleaners

https://www.bunnings.com.au/goof-off-177ml-adhesive-remover_p1580913

I have been going since 8.30am this morning, that's 4 hrs of my life wasted plus probably 6hrs yesterday, i will never, ever do this again.

Bugger!  When I saw that photo I though you had cracked the code!

Tea tree oil, plastic scrapers, wax & grease remover, patience and lots of clean rag as once the fabric is clogged with glue it just skids across the surface and does nothing further.

But it's worth the effort in the end.  

Yes Pete all of the above and more, no it's not worth it.

The only way i found easier and that is still a nightmare, is to scrape of the top vinyl then spray on the adhesive remover and the glue all separates then and is quite easily removed, kinda.

Use a hair dryer and peal off gently and then prepsol to remove the glue

It was all cracked and just breaking up.

I hear you.  

1-before.JPG

2-steam.JPG

3-heat.JPG

4-progress.JPG

8-scraps.JPG

9-purple.JPG

I tried tea tree, eucalyptus, steam, bug and tar remover.  In the end I used the heatgun to soften a small section of the sticker and a plastic scraper to lift it in strips - as you can see in the third pic.  I then cleaned up the glue residue with a caramel wheel.  

It's a crappy job.  

I tried tea tree, eucalyptus, steam, bug and tar remover.  In the end I used the heatgun to soften a small section of the sticker and a plastic scraper to lift it in strips 

The heatgun is kinda mandatory ; I used a hairdryer (borrowed from a Coxster owner). It's the residue that takes a while to remove. The angry gut feeling is to blast the crap out of it,  then you realise how much a new paint job would be...

Archived