Importing parts

I am moving back to Perth after 4.5yrs in Europe (Netherlands).  I have about a third of a 40ft container empty so I have free freight effectively if I want it.

The car (lowly 996 coupe) is getting Roro-ed  separately about 3 weeks before container ships.  

So I'm not sure if it's worth buying parts here and paying the GST equivalent up front (21%) and use the free freight, or waiting until back in Australia to avoid this extra tax and mail order things.  I'm thinking stuff like baffled sumps, Bilstein / Ohlins coilovers, Millers oil... Not hugely difficult shipping cost.

Is there still a $1k threshold for GST free?  Any other hidden nasties when importing parts to be aware of?

What would you do?  I realise it's a nice problem to have!

Enjoying the NC500 in Scotland last year

IMG_20160713_105038097_HDR_zpsgiyq0a9d.j

When we moved over I had boxes full of spares in the container for our Spitfire and my Range Rover, didn't pay any GST on them here. You've already paid 20%VAT on them, but then nothing was said here anyway. I'd buy everything you want for it while still in Europe.

Sorry I am talking about buying brand new parts, not second hand.  If you buy online from the EU when you are physically located in Australia the EU 21% VAT (GST) is exempted and the item is therefore cheaper for non-EU buyers. This could easily offset shipping cost. However, I am unsure what happens tax-wise when the items arrive in Australia.

I get that they are new parts but I thought you were physically buying them before you left. To get the tax off don't you have to ship it outside the EU? My logic was that once you buy an item it is already classed as second hand (not getting it shipped directly here)

So are you still in Europe and want to fill the container up or are you already in Aus?

Thanks for the replies

I am still in Europe for another 5 weeks.  If I buy them new here and put in the container, then they are then second hand and therefore no tax off.  If I wait until back in Australia, I get the tax off but pay shipping, and GST on items over $1k.  The question I have is there any additional import taxes involved with the second option?

The shipping on the parts you're talking about is often more than you would expect, depends on how diligent the supplier is / what deals they have with shippers. The GST component is on the whole cost once over $1k, I'm not aware of them charging import duty as well.

the $1k threshold of free GST is going by next month I believe. Thanks to the like of greedy Gerry Harvey, all imports regardless of value will attract GST

here you go, 1st July

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/08/all-goods-bought-overseas-to-incur-10-per-cent-gst-charge/

I thought the start was delayed to 1 July 2018

I thought the start was delayed to 1 July 2018

Yes it has been delayed as they realised that it could not be implemented that quickly and they still need to resolve some issues......

Yes it has been delayed as they realised that it could not be implemented that quickly and they still need to resolve some issues......

Like how to collect it... I think currently with items over 1k, it's collected by Customs..?

Like how to collect it... I think currently with items over 1k, it's collected by Customs..?

Can confirm this after getting pinged with my Wevo short shifter delivered from the US a couple of months ago. GST plus duty on the purchase amount AND shipping amount then also a $90 'handling fee'!

When I have imported the duties and GST were collected by the courier. They called me I gave my credit card info and all done. 

Personally I would put the car in the shiping container. Ro-Ro is the noise you make when all the parts not welded on disappear.  Otherwise put the spare, jack, toolkit, mats, cigarette lighter etcetera into the container.

Personally I would put the car in the shiping container. Ro-Ro is the noise you make when all the parts not welded on disappear.  Otherwise put the spare, jack, toolkit, mats, cigarette lighter etcetera into the container.

Yes I have heard these stories, if it's not needed for roadworthy in WA it's not going to be in the car.  Am thinking about putting something like windscreen liquid fluid in the frunk to see if it goes walkies during the trip.

Archived