The dilemma: Matching numbers sporto or go manual

I am in two minds right now with my'70 Targa, do I stick with the matching numbers sporto setup or convert it to manual

The restoration is now at the stage where I need to decide which way to go. If I were to keep the car for the long term, I will keep it as the original sporto because I do use my cars so sporto is much easier to live with and drive in peak hour and also to preserve the originality

But I won't be keeping the car for the long term, probably drive it for a few months or a year then move on to my next project, the 356 Polizei or the Speedster

Apart from the matching number sporto engine and gearbox, I also have a reco'd manual box and engine from a '72 which I can use

So from a resell value point of view, what do you think my best option:

1) keep it matching number sporto only

2) convert it to manual now and include the matching number sporto engine/gearbox with it

Cheers

IMO the loss of originality via the RHD conversion is far more value damaging than a sporto to manual conversion.  That said, I think you now have free reign to do what you like.

Manual will likely make it easier to sell, but I would be careful in overcapitalizing a converted targa (said by a targa fan and owner).

The cost of converting it to manual plus including the original trans with the car at the time of sale would surely out weigh any net gain at the end....
Do the car for what you want, I think resale will take care of itself!

u going to cane it or  mostly  drive it through MLB traffic?

4 spd sporto with appropriate mods if the latter. What else can do 0-186.5kmh without a shift

did mr hurt drive a sporto in the big chill?

Archived