[SE QLD/N NSW] Weekend Road Trip to Byron Bar C&C - 11-13 Aug

Need to get away and stretch the legs of your car?  How about an inaugural 'JABBDA'* meetup?  

The loose purpose will be to take a 3 day weekend drive taking the long way to Byron and back north again.

Departure point will be Brisbane - something like 11 am.

Plan is to go inland route via New England highway.  Friday night somewhere like Tenterfield, Saturday night somewhere near Byron.  Attend the Cars and Coffee Sunday morning and then make your own way back.

Bit of driving, bit of banter, a few quiet ones in the evening.  Interested? 

* just a bunch of blokes driving around

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good to me.  I was discussing something similar with the FEP boys on the weekend.

With the wife's approval of course & with enough notice I am good for most weekends except on the 25th to the 28th August.

Sounds good to me.  I was discussing something similar with the FEP boys on the weekend.

With the wife's approval of course & with enough notice I am good for most weekends except on the 25th to the 28th August.

yep well the date is 11th-13th...lock it in!

i'm in

are you Targa-less?

@Russ , will you guys come down , the back of the mountain .. into Springbrook or something like Beaudesert and then out to Kyogle.. perhaps and back into Lismore and into Byron , or go even further a field , back to grafton and back up.

Cal B just did a trip out via Tenterfield maybe he can share his experiences

Other options may be the natural bridge , into Murwilumbah and i can zig zag you a 100km route down into Byron from the border also.

Grafton would be nice, last time I went through Springbrook the 60km/h zones got a bit tedious. Be interesting to see what Murwilumbah looks like now it's bypa ssed too, I haven't been into the town since it happened.

Have we got accomidation ideas yet? or are we doing that on the drive?

@einsteiny
@CarreraG50

Well I thought best idea is to book somewhere close to Byron for Saturday night.   Fri night would depend on route as being discussed. Somewhere with safe parking and a nearby watering hole.

If your looking for a route have s look at Going from Boonah to Rathdowney Woodenbong find your way down to the Bruxner Hwy to Tenterfield then you could look at gong to Glenn Innes then back toward Graftonthen there are lots of roads back towards Grafton and the back way to Byron 

Bangalow would be a good spot to stay good pub in the Main Street 

Sounds good for the Saturday night.

Would it suit people better if it was just a one night exercise kicking off early am Saturday instead of a two night tour?  To be honest looking at my calendar and going 'hmmmm....'

Brunswick main street dug up .. parking issues ..remember there are no traffc lights in this neck of the woods.. 

45 mins from Goldcoast Kirra at most , Ballina next option but no where really to eat.

Big drive for an over night from south...

What about Kingscliff for an overnighter?  Reasonably close to Byron.  Or what is Murrwulimbah like for accom?  Would be great to find a good pub with some reasonable Motel accom nearby.

Edit - scratch that - would be stupid to go north of Byron & then have to drive back - Doh...............

Would it suit people better if it was just a one night exercise kicking off early am Saturday instead of a two night tour?  To be honest looking at my calendar and going 'hmmmm....'

I can't do a two night tour, I may be able to do a one night tour. Brisbane to Grafton isn't an impossible drive even with twisties thrown in. It may be possible to have a Friday departure group and a Saturday departure group. Thoughts?

Murwillumbah has motel and hotel accommodation. Balcony restaurant for good steak etc or Vietnamese Nam yeng, Riverside pizza and thai, Riverview hotel bistro and meals + entertainment, another new thai in Murwillumbah st all within walking distance. 

For safety of vehicle's I would recommend Tweed river motel. There is a booze bus to the Riverview hotel which is a walk over the bridge to the other restaurants. 

I have a spare double bed and a single mattress on the floor. Boags in the fridge and a pool table. Where rough country folk though. ?

Mbah to byron , 25 mins maybe less..  if you want a spirited zig zaging drive 45-1hr ish and arrival to C + C with some rev head smiles , let me know , will meet you there and will show you a good way...

We could also meet with the Brissy lot , out the back of Tomewin commin into Mbah and pickup the second lot of peeps.

Did it today.. in the Silver beast.. So roads GT3 proof and can get it up into fourth!  Say no more , go google tech specs for speeds.

OK I'm picking up the vibe that it would be better to do a two-day trip but starting early on Saturday. Not sure what time the sun comes up but getting out of the city early would be good.

The idea would be to go inland and pop up maybe south of Byron so I think planning for somewhere north would be the wrong way around.

So I'm thinking something like Bangalow, Lennox or Ballina?  Thoughts?

For those who can't make it away for the weekend, would there be any interest in tagging along for part of the Saturday drive then heading back to Brisbane in the afternoon? Was thinking of a possible lunch stop at the Tumbulgum Pub near Murwillumbah???

Any interest?

Archived