Airbag recall

ANF

It would seem that the factory that produced the air bags that produced the faulty airbags has gone bankrupt because of

1. the number of airbags that need to be replaced, and

2. the U.S government fined the company for $1.3 billion dollars (which really helps....not)

The fault is apparently the powder that is used to keep the bag subtle solidifies and when the bag goes off the occupant is hit with pellets like a shot gun.....

but they still allow these cars to on the road putting people at risk.

It would seem that the factory that produced the air bags that produced the faulty airbags has gone bankrupt because of

1. the number of airbags that need to be replaced, and

2. the U.S government fined the company for $1.3 billion dollars (which really helps....not)

The fault is apparently the powder that is used to keep the bag subtle solidifies and when the bag goes off the occupant is hit with pellets like a shot gun.....

but they still allow these cars to on the road putting people at risk.

Craziness, they should have all been recalled immediately!

I think I will go out for a drive in my airbagless 928......

Airbags have been in cars for over 30 years now, I wonder what condition those early ones are in now, still driving around in many cars no doubt...... would they trigger and if so would they protect or harm the occupants......

Craziness, they should have all been recalled immediately!

I think I will go out for a drive in my airbagless 928......

Airbags have been in cars for over 30 years now, I wonder what condition those early ones are in now, still driving around in many cars no doubt...... would they trigger and if so would they protect or harm the occupants......

That's the company, Takata.  Should read the posts in order shouldn't I ?

My wifes Corolla does have a recall, but they are trying to find a company to produce the replacement bags.  As I said, the US fined the company $1.3 billion, which sent them broke, which doesn't fix the problem and benefits nobody ….except the U.S coffers.

So, now we know the problem, should the car be parked until it can be repaired ?

My mother in laws Corolla is also affected, she has been sent a letter from Toyota, but as yet have not fixed it. Unless you are in the know most people would ignore/ wait for the company to resolve....

It apparently only affects the passenger airbag, only use the rear seats for passengers? For me another reason to get her into something better.....

Unless they were negligent in their operations, why fine them? Let them try and fix it.

I only looked at the Corolla recall which only affects passenger airbags , the CRV one affects drivers.... tread carefully minefield approaching!

I wonder what the "life" of the bags is? If you had to replace them all on the high end cars that first had them then you must go close to spending more than the car is worth. 

Maybe the manufacturers should just buy the cars back or do a awesome deal on a new car?

I wonder what the "life" of the bags is? If you had to replace them all on the high end cars that first had them then you must go close to spending more than the car is worth. 

Maybe the manufacturers should just buy the cars back or do a awesome deal on a new car?

My wife's Volvo has a sticker in one of the door jambs saying something about to check them (at dealer) after 10 years. I doubt many older car ones still worked..... and yes the cost to replace would be much more than car is worth..... 

From a US Volvo site for a 2004 S40

"WARNING!
There is no owner maintenance that can be performed on the SRS system. The month and year shown on the decal below (located on door pillar) indicate when you should contact your Volvo retailer for specific servicing or replacement of airbag system components. This service must be performed by a trained and qualified Volvo service technician. "

Given the massive improvements in NCAP ratings for many models in recent years, there are clearly a lot of older though not old mighty dangerous vehicles out there.
Our old Porsches excepted of course. It's the drivers that are the hazard, oh and the roadkill and other stuff!

Just saw this on The Project.  Contact your dealer (with or without a letter from the manufacturer) and if you are not happy with the response or time period to fix, ring the ACCC on 1300 302502

I pitty the poor dealer as they can only fix this at the rate the replacement airbags become available. The fact our and other governments have known about the problem for years and not intervened to ensure a rapid increase airbag production is an absolute disgrace. It is no use crying about spilt milk in this case as the only objective should be to produce enough airbags in the shortest time possble to replace the faulty units. This problem is far bigger than any one car company and requires a fully coordinated international approach. 

• 7 months later...

Update http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/motoring-news/takata-airbag-recall-hits-4-million-cars-in-australia-as-accc-recommends-adding-1-million-to-the-tally/news-story/3ebbda3e93122790b8d63d371535f14c

According to overseas reports there have so far been 23 deaths and more than 230 serious injuries worldwide attributed to Takata airbags that can spray shrapnel when deployed in a crash.

Documents seen by News Corp Australia claim 1.7 million cars on Australia roads have been fixed so far, there are more than 1 million cars waiting for replacement parts to arrive, and a further 1.3 million — including the 800,000 to 1 million European cars — are expected to be added in the coming months.

Last year the ACCC put forward a proposal to make the recalls compulsory, following reports of owners ignoring the notices. Some car brands have hired private investigators to track down cars.

However, the ACCC is yet to outline what the punishment would be if cars were not fixed, and whether car companies or car owners would be fined.

There was a proposal to not allow affected cars to have their registrations renewed until the recall work was completed, but the ACCC has no power over state transport authorities to enforce this action.

THE LIST

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/news/takata-airbag-recalls-affecting-australian-consumers

My mother-in-laws was only just recently fixed and she seemed less than fussed about it! I was more concerned.....

There should be something done to speed this up!! Out of mind out of sight unfortunately.....

6 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

So it officially makes the car safer if you take out the airbag altogether?

Well, yes..... if you put real set belts in all cars (harnesses) then air bags would be redundant.... but then we would lose some of our comfort in the car...... we do it for our kids......

1 minute ago, ANF said:

Well, yes..... if you put real set belts in all cars (harnesses) then air bags would be redundant.... but then we would lose some of our comfort in the car...... we do it for our kids......

My kids have their own airbags now , and I have my non bagged cars. Taking my life into other's people's hands I know , but life is v dangerous nowadays!

Archived