Rebuilding G series brake callipers

AC78

There's not enough DIY talk on this board.........!

So I am in the process of rebuilding brake callipers on my SC and debating if I go to the trouble of splitting them.

The callipers are in good condition but looking tired. I'd love to get them zinc plated, but obviously I need to split them first.

What are people's experience of doing the split?  

Are replacement internal Orings/rubbers etc easily available?  Can I re-use any of the internals? Did you experience any leaks afterwards?

And btw I watched the excellent recent home built by Jeff brake caliper rebuild video, but unfortunately he piked out when it came to the split ;-)

Cheers, Alex

I didn't do mine, as I don't trust myself with brakes (or electrics), though a mechanic mate did, and he hated me for weeks afterwards! ? Bitch of a job apparently

There are rebuild kits around, and Raf has recently done his calipers on his Targa resto, so maybe he'll chime in with where he bought his bits

There's not enough DIY talk on this board.........!

So I am in the process of rebuilding brake callipers on my SC and debating if I go to the trouble of splitting them.

The callipers are in good condition but looking tired. I'd love to get them zinc plated, but obviously I need to split them first.

What are people's experience of doing the split?  

Are replacement internal Orings/rubbers etc easily available?  Can I re-use any of the internals? Did you experience any leaks afterwards?

And btw I watched the excellent recent home built by Jeff brake caliper rebuild video, but unfortunately he piked out when it came to the split ;-)

Cheers, Alex

I was lucky enough to get fronts that are one piece, but after reading up, I didn't want to risk the rears leaking. Doing a rebuild is well worth while in my opinion, but splitting them for purely cosmetic reasons, is not worth the risk of them leaking. Just paint them instead.

1. I agree that there's not enough DIY stuff on here.  So lets ramp it up guys. 

I've always approached brake work as being the single most critical job to get right, for obvious reasons. If you (generally - not you personally) can't change a shock absorber, spark plug, change oil and filters, etc. do not put yourself and other road users at risk. 

I serviced mine, but I didn't split them. Most of the advice I've read is if you don't have to split them, leave them because they can leak like a bastard afterwards.  Course they do look quite nice when they're all shiny and new. 

I started doing a set of these calipers last year (from a 74)

Hated it. Just hated it. 

Care to elaborate why?  It hasn't been too painful so far.  Getting the pistons out was interesting.  I don't have an air compressor so I bought a valve from a tyre place, stuck it in the caliper, hooked up a bicycle pump and out they popped!  It's redneck but it worked.

The brake calipers are easy. Don't split them unless you absolutely have to.

Put the calipers in a Hessian bag and pop the pistons out with compressed air. 

Clean eveything with scotchbrite and metho. Assemble with rubber gease. Clean complete assembly with wax and grease remover. Paint with caliper paint. I did mine in silver. It helps seal up the surface and allows for easier cleaning.

Bleed starting with the furthest caliper away from the master.

A full description of the operation would run to a page or two. Go to you tube university for other opinions and explanations. Find a mate that has done it before to guide you through it.

Though i will say. One thing I learnt in the automotive industry..... if a customer buys a part and has to ask "can I fit this myself" It's probably an indication that they shouldn't.

Put the calipers in a Hessian bag and pop the pistons out with compressed air. 

That is a great idea. Don't do what I did. No bag, and I got covered in an explosion of brake fluid.

I would also like to mention, that it takes far less air pressure than you think to get the pistons rocketing out of there.

I have just completed a rebuild on my rear calipers which is only the second set i have ever done

splitting them, sandblasting and getting them zinc plated they look the goods

I had no leaks, as long as you replace the small seals that generally dont come with the rebuild kits.

its heaps easier to refit the pistons, seals and boots when they are split as well

I got the small seals from sierra in addition to the seal kit

as for the pistons, I gave them a polish and reused them as the new ones I ordered didn't accomodate the centre pins in my calipers

if your calipers don't have the pins and you need new pistons give me a yell

cheres 

ash

• 2 weeks later...

Team, just to finish off this thread here are the end results.  I decided against doing the split, too much hassle, so just gave them a paint instead.

JLJRH5D.jpg

Z6YlEuq.jpg

And below is my Macgyver method of extracting the pistons.  Simply wittle down a valve, stick it in the caliper fluid intake hole and hook up a bike pump. 

ipGz1C8.jpg

The hardest bit about this whole job?  Figuring out how to post the damn pics on this forum - seriously, what a pain in the a$$ - number one reason I rarely post here.  The caliper rebuild was easy as pie.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, sus911 said:

Old thread I know but apparently you need a special driver bit to fit the bolts holding the caliper halves together?

Yep. It’s a ribe bit. Can’t remember the size though. SC do a small set. 

2 hours ago, sus911 said:

Old thread I know but apparently you need a special driver bit to fit the bolts holding the caliper halves together?

You can rebuild the callipers without spitting and that is recommended. Once you split them they are much more likely to leak. Just give them a good clean and replace the seals, new pads and you are good.

I regularly split the calipers on my motorbikes and have only replaced the caliper half seal once.

I rebuilt my Carrera calipers about 10 years ago and painted them red with caliper paint. I regretted that as they just got alot of brake dust on them and looked ordinary.

My current view is that the value of these cars now is justifying keeping them original so I have removed the paint and intend sending them off to the US to have them restored to new condition. I'd be happy if they look ok in another 20 years!

P7140029.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/04/2018 at 4:04 PM, 911oclock said:

This has to be the most thorough ‘how to guide’. And it’s written by the pros!  Nuffin wrong with splitting they reckon  

http://m.pmbperformance.com/brakehowto.html

It's a very thorough article!

Of course in the Northen Hemispheres , calipers etc get rusty. Not so much here unless you live near the beach. I've done a couple of dozen calipers and never felt compelled to split them. Rabbit holes can turn into warrens with these old cars!

How did you manage to blow it out. I have some old calipers which refuse to budge..

did u just wedge the rubber side of the value into the the caliper?

On 17/09/2017 at 9:27 AM, AC78 said:

And below is my Macgyver method of extracting the pistons.  Simply wittle down a valve, stick it in the caliper fluid intake hole and hook up a bike pump. 

ipGz1C8.jpg

The hardest bit about this whole job?  Figuring out how to post the damn pics on this forum - seriously, what a pain in the a$$ - number one reason I rarely post here.  The caliper rebuild was easy as pie.

Yes I just wedged/screwed the whittled down valve into the calliper intake.  It didn't take much pressure.  I also used a G clamp and block of wood in between the pistons to make sure they came out at the same time.  It's quite satisfying to hear that pop when they come out.

Archived