New car today

991 Reviews

Background

I have previously owned a:

• Year 2000 996 3.4ltr manual Carrera with 18” turbo alloys, sports exhaust & sunroof, dark metallic blue paint, soft leather interior, 38,00klms when purchased, been to Eastern Creek with it, Porsche advanced driver training.
  • Year 2010 997.2 Carrera 4, manual, sports exhaust, 19” wheels, meteor grey metallic, sunroof, 390klms when purchased, Eastern Creek Porsche advanced driver training & 5 days of Targa Tasmania 2012 closed roads unlimited speed (not officially).
  • Current car is Year 2012 991 3.4ltr manual, sports exhaust, sports mode, sunroof, full leather interior, 20” Carrera S wheels, GT Silver paint.
  • Loan Cars
  • 2011 Porsche Cayman PDK (2 days)
  • 2012 991 Carrera PDK (5 days)

Engine

996 – 3.4ltr, free flowing, easy high revving engine, medium torque, engine fitted the car perfectly,

997.2 - 3.6ltr, exceptional low down torque, would pull from 40 klms/hr in 6th gear no problem, absolutely devastating in 2nd & 3rd gear above 5,000 rpm,

991 – 3.4ltr, not so much low down torque as the 3.6, but that’s understandable given peak torque & kw have moved up 1,000rpm, the engine only has 520klms on it so I expect better things after 5,000klms.

Sport mode stiffens the suspension but also changes engine mapping, if you’re in 3rd gear & press sport mode you can feel the engine step up a notch immediately.

The sport exhaust button changes the exhaust note & you get the exhaust “cackle” when you back off going downhill, it really is addictive.

The 991, even with only 520klms, feels so much quicker it’s frightening; I went through the Royal National Park tonight & OMG!!!!!

Gearbox

The 996 was really sweet. Easy shifts, couldn’t fault the gearbox, except it was really easy to put it into 6th instead of 4th, really interesting at the end of the straight at Eastern Creek a 160kmh when you should be n 4th & you select 6th instead!!!

997 was definitely more direct, great gearbox.

991 is more direct & intuitive except when you get further right than you need to be to pick up 6th, it is really easy to overshoot the shift to 6th & end up under 7th which means you are too far right for 6th & have to come back left to pick p 6th.

The PDK 991 is a really interesting experience. There is no way you can change gear in a manual car as quickly as PDK, I don’t care if you’re Jesus Christ, Superman or James Bond, you cannot change gear as quick as PDK.

Sport Plus in the PDK is absolutely hectic, it is only suitable for the track. In normal mode if you are in 5th & select sport it drops to 3rd but if you select sport plus it drops to 2nd, totally hyper!!!!!

Manual may be slower but so much more engaging!!!

Chassis

The 996 was “chuck able” at Eastern Creek you could let the whole car drift right at the top of the main straight, the 997.2 C4 would just grip up & try & throw you out the door, the 991 is much more like the 996.

There is virtually no rear wheel tyre noise from the 991 where the 997 was near to deafening from the rear wheel noise. I changed the Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Pilot Sport on the 997 after Targa Tas & the noise reduction was significant. The 991 has P Zero’s & you can’t hear a thing.

Interior

The 991 is in a completely different place to 996 & 997. I thought the 991 gear lever would be too high on the console to be comfortable but it is just perfect. Fit & finish are outstanding, the feel & environment are truly supercar territory.

On the road

The 991 is just amazing!! Turn in, grip, braking, balance, etc, etc just great. Steering is definitely different to 996 & 997. 996 & 997 where so sensitive you could feel a matchstick on the road surface, both were twitchy in a positive way, which I loved. 991 is still a great Porsche, it’s just moved on to the next level in terms of refinement & feel which is different from before!!!

In fast corners it feels like it has rear wheel steering???? But oh so sweet!!!!

Conclusion

The 991 is more like the 996, lighter faster, more involving, more fun.

The 997.2 C4 is a great car, unbelievable grip, traction, speed, clinical but I choose the C2 !!!!!

Very interesting - thanks for the insight.

Never driven a car with PDK - would you prefer this over manual - quick shifts aside? I tend to lean towards manual for the direct experienc just like I don't mind my manual steering.

Langeheck,

The PDK is really an outstanding engineering accomplishment, so quick you can't believe it at first, but as with all autos you are ultimately only an observer, not a participant, only my opinion. The manual can only be slower in the face of this technology but I still choose the manual. The PDK in Sport plus mode is truly out there, but really only suited for the track.

Geez, not sure about the black lines yet, the last set of tyres on the 997 only lasted 14,700,Kim's after Targa Tas, shredded $2,030 worth of tyres. Might give the black lines a miss until run in.

Spezialist,

Yes it,s a completely different car, but in a totally positive way. Definately feels more mid engined than the 997 but not in a negative way, has the balance of the Cayman but with the feel of 911.

Spezialist,

Yes it,s a completely different car, but in a totally positive way. Definately feels more mid engined than the 997 but not in a negative way, has the balance of the Cayman but with the feel of 911.

thats the perfect 'porsche correct' poetic sales pitch!

Guest Nick987

I had a Senna moment where the car and I just became one and it was an extension of my mind in the cayman with PDK which was surprising given I have had manuals all my life. Never imagined an 'auto' could be worthwhile until the PDK. Now I would seriously consider it in my next. No. Want one. Ideal to have both.

Takes driving to a whole other level when with the click of a finger you can gear change mid corner, even on public roads or in traffic or really twisting forest roads in the wet (as I have posted). Just astonishing in a 2.9 Cayman. Makes that car.

Great write up thanks. Sounds like a whole new evolution.

Would love to do a targa tas... Do you feel like sharing? Maybe a new thread?

• 3 weeks later...

A further update at 980klms, this car is deceptively quick, where the 997.2 was quick you felt like you were going fast, in the 991 you think you,re just pottering along until you look down at the speedo, then it's holy S#%t ! Steering is just fine, not sure what the hullabaloo about electric sterling is all about. Except for the previously reported 6th 7th overlap the gear box is better than 997 manual, more direct in its throw, more compliant in its engagement & not as notchy/resistive. I still think the 997 3.6 Ltr had more low down torque, e.g. The 997 was really happy to pull from 40klms/hr in 6th where the 991 is happier in 5th at this speed. Ride quality is so far ahead of 997 there is no real comparison, NVH/road noise inside is a 10 where the 997 was a 6. More reports after more Klm.

Archived