Written Off Registers and thoughts on buying these cars

I agree with a lot of sentiments. I would buy one if I had full disclosure on it and it’s something I know has been or can be repaired properly. I’d do it to keep it not to sell in the short term.

sone cars I’ve seen as wovr are more commercial decisions rather than common sense.

I’ve see oldskool classics that have been damaged at some point in their life but now being 20-30 years old, people don’t seem to care as much if they’ve been repaired at some point earlier on in their life, if that makes sense.

Symsy find me a 997 GT3 that needs repair and I’ll take it for the right price and keep it forever to enjoy! Don’t want to make money on it!

Well that is timely to the discussion! My thoughts are he'll have to knock off another 25k to achieve a sale . If that was totally original and not written off what would it actually sell for? $210k?

2007 Porsche 911 GT3 997 Manual MY07

I think he'll have to knock off more like $75k

I agree with a lot of sentiments. I would buy one if I had full disclosure on it and it’s something I know has been or can be repaired properly. I’d do it to keep it not to sell in the short term.

sone cars I’ve seen as wovr are more commercial decisions rather than common sense.

I’ve see oldskool classics that have been damaged at some point in their life but now being 20-30 years old, people don’t seem to care as much if they’ve been repaired at some point earlier on in their life, if that makes sense.

Symsy find me a 997 GT3 that needs repair and I’ll take it for the right price and keep it forever to enjoy! Don’t want to make money on it!

The issue is not wether the car has been in a accident or not. You can severely damage a car and have it repaired while you own it, and it is not on the WOVR. On the other hand you can have a car with minimal damage that gets Written off by the insurance company and that is the car that you will have issues selling. 

It is not the accident damage that is the issue, it is the perception of the WOVR. People see that and freak out, and it has nothing to do with the condition of the car.

Just watch that GT3 and see how long it sits. GUT would buy it for $100k (and so would I), so it has value, but what is that  actual value...

What someone is prepared to pay I spose mate. If market value was $200k and the GT3 was repaired well, you'd have to think to knock off $50k minimum to sell it easily. Pretty sure most of us would buy it for $100k (even I would try and find the cash!), yet supply v demand is a factor that has to come into the equation.  Similar scenario as converted old cars, in that there are optimistic sellers asking close to Oz delivered market value. Same car really, but because it's been repaired/customised, it's worth a lot less to a buyer who is thinking of his own future value/sale, but how many Oz delivered old cars are available at a reasonable price? Not many, so imports and repaired cars become more attractive to those that are looking to buy when they are thin on the ground. Maybe not GT3's, as there are more of them around than air cooled cars, but hopefully you get what I mean. 

In a nutshell. Buy and repair to keep and enjoy (like James did), or be prepared to not make as much profit and sit on it for a while if you're looking to flip it

The issue is not wether the car has been in a accident or not. You can severely damage a car and have it repaired while you own it, and it is not on the WOVR. On the other hand you can have a car with minimal damage that gets Written off by the insurance company and that is the car that you will have issues selling. 

It is not the accident damage that is the issue, it is the perception of the WOVR. People see that and freak out, and it has nothing to do with the condition of the car.

Just watch that GT3 and see how long it sits. GUT would buy it for $100k (and so would I), so it has value, but what is that  actual value...

The value to me is $100k. I think the seller will struggle to sell at $175k or anywhere near that. Thats the price of a decent one without the WOVR stain.

Its also a modern, personalized WOVR car. 

The value to me is $100k. I think the seller will struggle to sell at $175k or anywhere near that. Thats the price of a decent one without the WOVR stain.

Its also a modern, personalized WOVR car. 

I think there would probably be others who would pay more than $100k, but you are correct, no one is paying even close to $175k for that.

• 2 months later...

I’ve been searching through a lot of these recent threads and gaining a really a better understanding of values and things to look out for. Earlier posts concerning the silver 996 that is a repaired write off are interesting- has anyone viewed this car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Morpheus said:

I’ve been searching through a lot of these recent threads and gaining a really a better understanding of values and things to look out for. Earlier posts concerning the silver 996 that is a repaired write off are interesting- has anyone viewed this car?

The one in Melbourne?  I tried to look at this when I was searching, but it was away at the "bodyshop".  Repairs were done in Qld, and that was where it was entered into the RWOR.  Given a number of non RWOR vehicles available at exactly same price, you would need to factor the RWOR entry against the low kms and that it is a manual.

I almost purchased a relatively low Km 98 tip that ended up being on the RWOR for $35k.  I pulled out as the RWOR entry hadn't been disclosed in the advert, but car sold almost straight away afterwards I believe for $30k.  I probably would have re-considered at $30k.  Given this scenario, and manuals being worth +5k or thereabouts over a Tip, I would have thought Melbourne car is probably a $35k car.  If non RWOR being manual + low Kms, probably worth $45-$50k.  My thoughts only, the brains trust may see things differently.......

13 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Thanks@TwoHeadsTas - i was thinking the same. Without seeing the vehicle and evidence of the repairs I guess it’s hard to know. What did you end up getting if you don’t mind me asking?

2002 996.2 C2 Tip, ~100kms - spent a heap more than I'd been considering :wacko:

Couple of things that could assist with assessing damage if exact details unknown.  Firstly the PPSR report which has the RWOR info on it should have a general description of damage, and the date it was entered into the register.  In the case of the 1998 Sydney car, it was entered on register (in Qld) in 2002 from memory, and described roof, panel and door damage.  I worked on the basis that in writing off a 4 year old car of this nature, with presumably still a quite high value at that time($100k + I would have thought...), the repair costs must have been very significant, so presumably the damage would have been extensive, particularly if the roof was involved.  I will state that the repairs appear to have been done to a high standard, as the panel gaps and lines were very good, and nothing to alert me to extensive repairs having been done when I inspected it.  Only slight misalignment was the line of the tops of the doors with the rest of the bodywork, very slightly out of line compared to the car we bought.

cheers

Peter

Archived