Best period of sports car production for Porsche

On 26/12/2017 at 8:50 PM, Peter John said:

If you had 100k to spend what would you buy? And why?

I have just moved on my sc based on the comfort factor- and performance. 

This was my thinking moving from a 964 once I got over the whole hot rod thing. Hot rods and pre 964 cars are great and all but in reality hard to live with if you only have one car. I wanted a car that did it all. 

Bang for buck you can go past a 996 Turbo. I drove both 996-7 GT3s, also great cars but “personally” they didn’t have enough low down punch. 996TT does everything you would expect with lots of nice touring interior touches and mountains of torque/power down low where you can actually use it and of course you get that Mezger.

As@smit2100 said with a few basic mods they really come alive then add brakes and suspension you end up with a true GT car.

Get on board you blokes, while the gettin’s good and before everyone else wakes up.

55 minutes ago, Fraz said:

This was my thinking moving from a 964 once I got over the whole hot rod thing. Hot rods and pre 964 cars are great and all but in reality hard to live with if you only have one car. I wanted a car that did it all. 

Bang for buck you can go past a 996 Turbo. I drove both 996-7 GT3s, also great cars but “personally” they didn’t have enough low down punch. 996TT does everything you would expect with lots of nice touring interior touches and mountains of torque/power down low where you can actually use it and of course you get that Mezger.

As@smit2100 said with a few basic mods they really come alive then add brakes and suspension you end up with a true GT car.

Get on board you blokes, while the gettin’s good and before everyone else wakes up.

I've always thought the 996tt was superb value for money (if a little less now than a few years back).  All the benefits of modern kit with the Mezger link and bags of power.  Hard to go past if you need modern convenience.

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

Seems all I have seen are autos! Would imagine manuals are found amongst the fairy dust! Thanks for the feedback! 

31 minutes ago, Peter John said:

Seems all I have seen are autos! Would imagine manuals are found amongst the fairy dust! Thanks for the feedback! 

Two here mate, first one I investigated, if your keen send me a PM.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2001/SSE-AD-5088056

This is a cool car, love it’s not a cookie cutter colour.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2000/SSE-AD-5159711

I’d have to say it was around 97-98 when they released the BoxRod with the 2.5lt. 

They went downhill soon after with their big heavy GT and TT cars... ?

As much as I’d like to, I’m yet to compare it to an RS variant...maaaybe they have the extra poke needed to get the upper hand on a basespec Boxster through the spur...

Mwahahahaaa?

On 27/12/2017 at 9:00 PM, Fraz said:

The umbrella @Fraz don't forget the umbrella 

Come on Peeps the 944 (especially the S2) delivers everything the sporting man about town needs.  Oustanding value for money, performance & the all important frigid air conditioning for Australias Satan like summers.  Heaps of low down power for round town driveability & handling like a lightning bolt stuck on rails.  Sure your A/C 911s have their beauty, the modern 911's have the brawn but the 944 has the whole package for a daily driver.

Transaxles my friends - that's were it's at.  Get on board & realise your dreams (plus you get to still eat real food & afford the Dentist for your kids overbite with the money you've saved). :LOL::ph34r:

1 minute ago, tazzieman said:

The 944 really is the pick of the all round brilliant Porsches.

Dunno about these satanic summers. They sound awful. Glad to live on the island paradise.

Tazz, I've always considered you a sage & discerning enthusiast.  Your insightful comments have only served to cement your wisdom in my eyes.  Sadly not all of us can share in the mild summers of the Apple Isle.  Some of us have to swelter here in a region thats hotter than Satan's Frenulum..........

11 hours ago, Jason E said:

Some of us have to swelter here in a region thats hotter than Satan's Frenulum..........

Satan directs his Fresnel lens on the Frenetic Front-engined Frenz.
His holy crosstown rival shines the sun out of his air cooled arse.

It is the way of things!

Archived