Greetings

Hello all!

Long time admirer of the Porsche brand - my dream car as a boy was a 959 - and now I have a chance to get into 911 ownership. I’m Adelaide-based and a Motorsport nut.

Love car forums - have been a member or AULRO for a few years and have found it to have been fantastic with my Disco3.

I’m looking to buy a classic - really kicking myself for not taking the plunge ten years ago - and I’m realistically restricted to LHDs or the odd targa I think. My budget only stretches to 75-80k. There is a decent looking tarmac rally SC in Adelaide that is very appealing but I’m not sure what pitfalls arise from ex race spec cars. There’s LHD targa in WA that looks ok but has been on the market for a while. I’d prefer a coupe but wouldn’t say no to a targa.

Really grateful for any advice and have enjoyed reading through other similar threads and seeing what to look out for.

Thanks

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate, welcome. Adelaide local here too

The blue Zag built backdate on Carsales is a cracker and worth a look too. The black Tarmac car at RSR sportscars is also definitely worth having a look at. Whatever you look at, get a PPI  (pre purchase inspection) from a reputable shop. 

Just get into Porsche ownership with eyes wide open, as when things go wrong, it ain't cheap! Listening to professional advice is paramount (I use Buiks Motorworks on Richmond road), and although a lot of forum members all over the world may have experience working on their own cars, it is THEIR opinion. You can hear them, but you don't have to listen! ?

Thanks guys! Yes, searching is fun! Carsales has flogged my phone’s battery the last few weeks.

SteveF - very nice looking car. I think the sportomatic puts me off a bit though.

LeeM - the backdate car looks amazing! And yes, the Black RSR is very enticing. Very keen to have a look at it - I think it’s a Porsche Club of SA car. Any pointers for looking at cars that have raced or done track work? It sounds like SA has some decent Porsche workshops too - Buiks and RSR are reasonably close.

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

LeeM - the backdate car looks amazing! And yes, the Black RSR is very enticing. Very keen to have a look at it - I think it’s a Porsche Club of SA car. Any pointers for looking at cars that have raced or done track work? It sounds like SA has some decent Porsche workshops too - Buiks and RSR are reasonably close.

Most of the time, track cars are better looked after than road cars, yet the black one at RSR would well be worth looking at, and send to Buiks for a PPi. If its been sitting for a while, it will blow smoke on start up (they all do it) and should dissipate reasonably quickly, so don't run away at the sight of blue smoke for a little while. Right price for what has been done to it in my opinion, and as its an SA car, rego wouldnt be a hassle if it has been regod here before. Interstate converted and Lhd cars are another story all together, so be aware of that potential minefield, especially converted cars. I'm no expert on these things, and as I'm literally 2 minutes from RSR shop, I can have a look with you if needed.

Heres my number if you need a chat 0407942151

G'day James

I'm in Adelaide as well. Had my 930 getting some attention at Buiks about 3 weeks ago and they had a nice Blue(ish) 911 in the showroom. Not sure if it was for sale. Try there. They may have something in the back or know of someone. See Craig. Great bloke and easy to talk to.

2 hours ago, 3legs said:

G'day James

I'm in Adelaide as well. Had my 930 getting some attention at Buiks about 3 weeks ago and they had a nice Blue(ish) 911 in the showroom. Not sure if it was for sale. Try there. They may have something in the back or know of someone. See Craig. Great bloke and easy to talk to.

It is for sale at $100k. A bit rich in my opinion, as it's not original colour etc. That matters at that price point

Lee, we might be talking about a different car (I think). The car I remember was blue/purple(ish) with "Carrera' logo down the side and I think it may have had a roll cage in it and I don't remember it having a metalflake paint job but to be honest it was only a quick glance. I was more interested in getting back into my 930:Chuckle2: 

18 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Lee, we might be talking about a different car (I think). The car I remember was blue/purple(ish) with "Carrera' logo down the side and I think it may have had a roll cage in it and I don't remember it having a metalflake paint job but to be honest it was only a quick glance. I was more interested in getting back into my 930:Chuckle2: 

Same car mate. Blue with a blue metal flake in the right light. Not my style, but someone will like it

20171214_134501.jpg

20 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Thanks guys! Yes, searching is fun! Carsales has flogged my phone’s battery the last few weeks.

SteveF - very nice looking car. I think the sportomatic puts me off a bit though.

Don't discount Sporto , particularly if it's running an early 4-Spd. When set up sweet they are a fun box 

there are 4 -Spd  915 boxes about 

good luck with the hunt

Most of the time, track cars are better looked after than road cars, yet the black one at RSR would well be worth looking at, and send to Buiks for a PPi. If its been sitting for a while, it will blow smoke on start up (they all do it) and should dissipate reasonably quickly, so don't run away at the sight of blue smoke for a little while. Right price for what has been done to it in my opinion, and as its an SA car, rego wouldnt be a hassle if it has been regod here before. Interstate converted and Lhd cars are another story all together, so be aware of that potential minefield, especially converted cars. I'm no expert on these things, and as I'm literally 2 minutes from RSR shop, I can have a look with you if needed.
 Heres my number if you need a chat 0407942151

Thanks LeeM

Might take you up on that when I’m back from the coast. I have heard about some of the fun registering converted and LHD cars so an SA registered example is very enticing.

G'day James

Thanks 3legs!

I think the journey of finding a vehicle is going to be as much of an adventure as ownership (maybe)..

Sounds like there are a few forum peeps in Adelaide too!! Look forward to meeting in-person.

12 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

I think the journey of finding a vehicle is going to be as much of an adventure as ownership (maybe)..

Sounds like there are a few forum peeps in Adelaide too!! Look forward to meeting in-person.

Haha, unless you're inpatient like me! They're out there mate, though just do your homework with prices etc. Most sellers just whack on a huge (aka, unrealistic) price hoping to max their profit.  I'd definitely try and find a rego'd car locally if possible to save the rego/inspection headaches 

We're usually at Clarendon by 9am most Sundays for a coffee and chat, so feel free to drop in and say gday

Welcome to the Forum & good luck on your search

I see that you :  have heard about some of the fun registering converted and LHD cars in SA. Here is a recent 2017 experience of an Adelaide A/C 911 owner who actually bought from interstate (Vic) & did all the rigmarole properly. He was then able to onsell the car not too long after for a profit and move onwards and upwards. Point is that this was a successful exercise, so dont dismiss interstate cars completely from your consideration.

" I have recently bought a 79 SC from Vic (I'm in Adelaide) its a US import converted. Firstly if you buy a convert (filthy dirty things) *****  there are some hurdles to jump in transferring and re registering a convert. The process took me about a month, getting an engineers report then some upgrades/changes then another engineer check, then a numbers check then final inspection and hopefully all goes well. I focussed so much on the bigger items that the washer bottle didn't work and some other minor things, thankfully the inspector was cool and passed the car. (all cost about $1000.00)"

I'm not here to tell you not to buy a converted car from interstate, yet I have been reliably told the opposite of a smooth rego/inspection experience for 2 or 3 SA owners, and the cars being impounded and confiscated due to dodgy conversions and VIN problems, resulting in the cars owner losing their money.....all of it! 

I'm just here to advise you to look carefully at a prospective car, and do all your checks dillegently, which includes SA registered cars  ?

4 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

Welcome to the Forum & good luck on your search

I see that you :  have heard about some of the fun registering converted and LHD cars in SA. Here is a recent 2017 experience of an Adelaide A/C 911 owner who actually bought from interstate (Vic) & did all the rigmarole properly. He was then able to onsell the car not too long after for a profit and move onwards and upwards. Point is that this was a successful exercise, so dont dismiss interstate cars completely from your consideration.

" I have recently bought a 79 SC from Vic (I'm in Adelaide) its a US import converted. Firstly if you buy a convert (filthy dirty things) *****  there are some hurdles to jump in transferring and re registering a convert. The process took me about a month, getting an engineers report then some upgrades/changes then another engineer check, then a numbers check then final inspection and hopefully all goes well. I focussed so much on the bigger items that the washer bottle didn't work and some other minor things, thankfully the inspector was cool and passed the car. (all cost about $1000.00)"

That was Andrew W's car. 

@Morpheus welcome aboard. I'm in Radelaide as well.  I'm sure Andrew would be more than happy to run you through what he did re rego.  He's a good bloke. And if you're keen, come out for a drive with us. You can ride shotgun with one of us. Just get in touch with one of us.

There was a guy in the Porsche club selling his mocha SC recently. Don't know if it's still on the market. Can't remember his name though, and I've never seen it on carsales or the like.

Lastly, and most importantly, ignore @LeeM, he's a ?. ?

Archived