Good drives out of Sydney?

jaw

Hey guys :)

So I'm in Sydney unexpectedly for a day without work over Easter and wondered if there were any scenic, preferably twisty and camera free drives? (not that I'm chasing silly speeds, just one less thing to worry about with double demerits!)

I'll have a Cayman for the day to put it through its paces, so a nice scenic cruise, a monsterous burger and a nice hotel for the night seems like the perfect mix!

Thinking I'll leave around 4pm on the Sunday to get back for around the same time, so perhaps 2-3 hours drive on the Sunday, an early start and a cruise on Monday and then leave wherever I end up around mid day for a cruise home via a nice stop off or two, some photo ops would be good to put up on my website which is needing some love.

I'm a Perth Lad so I've barely driven in Sydney so open to local knowledge!

Cheers

The best drive for you would be to Wollombi ....

Up the freeway to Calga .... then it's  a fantastic mixture of sweeping and great twisties at 100 k's for quite a lot the route ..... big juicy burger at the end ....

Then you can either stay, take a different route out and come back via the freeway  or go back the way you came for 2 x the fun ..... bliss!

Its my favorite "go to" run when I'm feeling the urge ....

I would suggest head out through wollombi, broke along putty road and up to Katoomba via bells and stay in the mountains then next day a lap around mount Victoria and back through putty again as u can’t get enough of that road. Or as ur leaving late in the day, stay at broke and do the putty and mountain run early next day to avoid the cameras ?, although accomodation in the Hunter valley could be expensive over Easter mostly 2/3 night packages.

we will probably do the hunter day trip on the Sunday as usual for a couple of wineries and back through putty. We should get the mrs new GLC43 that week so keen to take it on a drive and see what it can do ?

1 hour ago, JV911 said:

Old Pacificy Hwy to Calga :)

It's a lovely drive up the Old Pac but at 60 k's it can be painful  ... that's the only reason I suggested to bypass it ....

In saying that, I do go up and down it quite often when I just want a lazy drive ...

10 minutes ago, JV911 said:

True, maybe freeway to Cowan. It's mostly 80 zone thereafter and the decent to Brooklyn is one of the nicest pieces of tarmac around.

Gotta admit though .... I much prefer coming up that hill .... B)

On 3/7/2018 at 11:37 AM, LeeM said:

I thought any road out of Sydney would be a good one ?

haha fair point :P

Thanks for the awesome suggestions guys! Turns out I'm ill this weekend so have been banished from flying back to Perth for the weekend due to having a new born which sucks - so am going to grab the car Tomorrow instead :D silver linings.

Looks like headed up to Wollombi will be a good shout then having the morning to enjoy the road on Sunday.

Annoyingly don't have my gopro or camera with me to take some snaps as I wasn't planning it but not complaining, more time to just enjoy the drive.

Can't wait to go exploring, generally I've been stuck carless and living / working in the city during the week and not having time to take the 911 out on the weekend so will be a welcome relief! 

14 hours ago, jaw said:

Is Gosford worth a Visit? Thinking of staying either there and checking out the museum in the morning, or staying in Katoomba and hitting the road in the morning :CoolDance:

Well you will be disappointed. 

Made it to Katoomba so will do a little exploring in the morning :) slow 80kmh drive up but it got progressively more windy which was nice, got here by dark so didn't want anything too arduous. 

Pleasantly surprised with the 718 Cayman so far, looks stunning at turns heads, but am still unconvinced. It has a nice tone and picks up pace well but you're still constantly aware it's a 4 pot :( The PDK is mind shatteringly quick and it handles beautifully, but the first thing I miss is the raw snarl from the flat six in the 911. Instead you get a tinny (at low revs) 4 pot that really has to be poked to be heard.Build quality is top shelf

Ur probably on the road now make sure u go down Bells Line and from Richmond head across to Putty rd u won’t be dissapointed

drove a 718 cayman and S on Friday was impressed with them both in the hills. Agree u do get reminded of the 4 pot  but once your 3.5k rpm and in boost land it pulls well. Very forgiving car on corners if you don’t know the road and take a bad line. Sticks like S to a blanket.

enjoy the drive @jaw

5 hours ago, Tips said:

Ur probably on the road now make sure u go down Bells Line and from Richmond head across to Putty rd u won’t be dissapointed

drove a 718 cayman and S on Friday was impressed with them both in the hills. Agree u do get reminded of the 4 pot  but once your 3.5k rpm and in boost land it pulls well. Very forgiving car on corners if you don’t know the road and take a bad line. Sticks like S to a blanket.

enjoy the drive @jaw

I sure did :D Thanks for recommending putty all, what a bit of road! Saw a Police cruiser perched on an elevated layby seemingly more to deter people than anything 

Some of the bikers through there on sports tourers were making impressive (read: insane) progress through the twisties! Nice, flowing bends, I didn't go too far north as was running low on kms. As much as I'm still not sold on the 4 pot, The way it puts down the speed and how composed it is in the corners is remarkable. It still makes a nice sound but without a lot of depth, but its an amazing package. 

Ended up staying in Katoomba and then doing the scenic drive followed by heading up to putty and looping around. Although one of the gems of the trip had to be this downhill section by Hawksbury. ''80'' but a nice albeit short combination of bends and hairpins with good visibility to really enjoy. Not very long so had to go up and down a couple of times before heading onwards to Putty.

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 5.10.41 pm.png

Took the Cayman for a drive from Wollombi yesterday traveled Northbound up the Great North Road & turned at a signpost  towards Yarramolong / Wyong found Bumble Bum Road  towards Yarramolong. Finished back on the M1 then home to Newcastle. Didn't come across a single car along the Bumble Bum - great little stretch of road. 

4 hours ago, Oldknees said:

Took the Cayman for a drive from Wollombi yesterday traveled Northbound up the Great North Road & turned at a signpost  towards Yarramolong / Wyong found BUMBLE HILL Road  towards Yarramolong. Finished back on the M1 then home to Newcastle. Didn't come across a single car along the BUMBLE HILL - great little stretch of road. 

Fixed it for you ..... don' think the locals would like to think they live on a "bum" bit of road ..... :Chuckle2:

• 3 weeks later...

Too late for the OP but anyone looking for a nice days drive from Sydney should look to the south at Kangaroo Valley (lunch) via the Royal National Park and Macquarie Pass (pie shop at the top) returning via Mt Cambewarra and Jamberoo.  Best done early to avoid cyclists although most of them are in the RNP.

Archived