H1 and H4 lenses

turboT

See link below to John Audette's website.  He is the "Porsche light guru" and has forgotten more about H1/H4 than the rest of us will ever know!

Put simply, H1 has two reflectors and two bulbs (one for high beam, one for low).  H4 has one bulb and one reflector.  The H4 was introduced in 1972, but you see them on lots of older cars because Bosch stopped manufacturing the H1 and they eventually became almost impossible to source.  These days a fully restored set of genuine H1 lights (when they are occasionally available) sells for about US$1,800.

I think it's fair to say that only the most pedantic Porsche fans will "call out" an older car for having H4s instead of the correct H1s.

http://www.audettecollection.com/h1/

As Nick says the H4 are the best bet however yours being an early car it really needs the lenses without the ledge at the top.

Audette goes into better detail.

This is H1 but I just included it to show the lense shape I was referring to.

Image result for porsche h4 lenses no ledge

23 hours ago, npvpositive said:

See link below to John Audette's website.  He is the "Porsche light guru" and has forgotten more about H1/H4 than the rest of us will ever know!

Put simply, H1 has two reflectors and two bulbs (one for high beam, one for low).  H4 has one bulb and one reflector.  The H4 was introduced in 1972, but you see them on lots of older cars because Bosch stopped manufacturing the H1 and they eventually became almost impossible to source.  These days a fully restored set of genuine H1 lights (when they are occasionally available) sells for about US$1,800.

I think it's fair to say that only the most pedantic Porsche fans will "call out" an older car for having H4s instead of the correct H1s.

http://www.audettecollection.com/h1/

so if my car is a very original 68 912 it should have H1 lamps so therefore H1 lenses should be the go I assume? 

1 hour ago, turboT said:

so if my car is a very original 68 912 it should have H1 lamps so therefore H1 lenses should be the go I assume? 

Yes H1 lenses should be correct for your car. 

Do you know if these are illegal here? As I have been thinking about getting some too

Don't think you can put H1 lenses on an H4 core (if that's what you're suggesting?).  The lenses are designed to work with two reflectors and two bulbs so they won't refract light in the correct direction if you have a different core with only one reflector/bulb (for example, an H4).  

Suspect the yellow is illegal, but I'm not certain.  If so, it would give an insurance company a nice excuse to try and deny a claim if an accident occurred at night.

38 minutes ago, 901er said:

Yes H1 lenses should be correct for your car. 

Do you know if these are illegal here? As I have been thinking about getting some too

Google doesn't seem to know for sure, but leans towards illegal. Lee says yes, but he says all kinds of crap ;) 

5 hours ago, turboT said:

Google doesn't seem to know for sure, but leans towards illegal. Lee says yes, but he says all kinds of crap ;) 

I got no ferken idea mate ? Check your local guides, yet they're definitely a defect here

Outlaw is one thing, illegal and uninsured is an entirely different thing.....

Yellow lenses are great for foggy or rainy conditions but are better off being either slip on covers, or dedicated spotlights.....

These are clear versions of the H1 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-912-H1-2-RHD-HEADLIGHT-LENSES-WITH-BOSCH-LETTERING/360497189059

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 10:26 PM, michel said:

I have H1’s

For those who value period charm and brilliance , and for the sartorial who wear plaid ,  NOS biodes or beautiful mint though used amplilux..  

I really don't understand what you are saying most of the time

4 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

I really don't understand what you are saying most of the time

Am seeking consistency in all endeavours. . Mindfulness (Thankyou @SimonN ) it seems is paying dividend.

For those who seek deep illumination:

Carello, Cibie, Marchal and  others made a twin  reflector light 

The Biode ( carello and cibie) and amplilux ( marchal) 

these were de rigeur and ducks nuts.. for a time . Of course eclipsed or at least matched by the advent of H4’s and of course HID’S

However, for period charm and cool correctness . These are must have 

I also have NOS biodes and amplilux . Mint but used 

On 14/04/2018 at 10:14 PM, ELSPORTO said:

Used NOS ... oxymoron.

Wot? Is that like mapp gas? 

i think me and my iphone just  Fukd up the punctuation... though the prior post if read in cunjunction would have shed some... light . f@k  I’m a funny peanut  . 

15 hours ago, michel said:

Wot? Is that like mapp gas? 

i think me and my iphone just  Fukd up the punctuation... though the prior post if read in cunjunction would have shed some... light . f@k  I’m a funny peanut  . 

Either way I still want them. Boides ... mmmmmmmmmmmm .......:Drool:

On 3/19/2018 at 8:05 PM, turboT said:

T, i'm feeling like you don't care about H1's anymore, but in case you do, there is a NOS set on Early S for $2,000 USD .... you cannot do better than that.

Archived