Bike Big Kahunas

3 hours ago, ANF said:

@LeeM it could be like when Mick Doohan had to use a thumb operated rear brake (left hand) because his leg was so stuffed, others saw it and tried to copy it.... for no benefit, just because he had it.....

I remember in an interview he was totally bemused by that, and said that he would much rather the normal set up, but had no choice

25 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

I remember in an interview he was totally bemused by that, and said that he would much rather the normal set up, but had no choice

Yep, but others thought it would be better because he was doing it... idiots..... :lol:

ok, thanks, it wasn't as dumb a question afterall.

Agreed though, it's an annoying looking trend if it has caught on.

(Tennis player grunts I can understand when bashing the cr*p out of a ball.

The only thing more annoying is watching Raffa prepare to serve, bounce,shoulder,shoulder, nose, bum,nose, shoulder,shoulder serve.)

I wangled a pit tour at the Melb GP, and Mick was in the Minardi garage and just came up and chatted about one of the cars.

Friendly and talented guy.

16 minutes ago, deano said:

I wangled a pit tour at the Melb GP, and Mick was in the Minardi garage and just came up and chatted about one of the cars.

Friendly and talented guy.

His book is a good read too!

9 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Seems Marquez' kahunas have made an enemy of Mr Rossi and his crew after taking him out last night. Oops! Paybacks are a bitch I spose 

I am one of the few who have never liked Rossi! He and Marquez have been bitching for years, Marquez generally comes out on top too.

I am a fan of the old 500 2 strokes, to me everything since then is a little tame :ph34r: Doohan was (and still is) the best!!

I'm not going to start a 'who is best' thing, as we all have our favourites, and they all did certain things on bikes that seemed impossible or incredibly brave. I too think Doohan was one of the best, yet he didn't have much competition after Gardner, Rainey, Schwantz and Lawson left the sport, and he and Criville were on the best bikes for years. Same as Agostini in his day. He won so many titles because he didn't have much competition

Gardner was originally my favourite, as he had a never give up attitude, yet when I met him as a big fan, he was an arrogant wanker like Doohan was, so I stopped following them and wanted them beaten every race (never meet your heroes rang true there). Schwantz was always a favourite too, as he was a lunatic. Rainey was the clinical perfectionist like Lawson, yet that seemed boring to me. Mamola was the clown prince, yet being a bridesmaid 4 times made you wonder why. Cadalora was also a favourite and a brilliant rider, as was Beattie and De Radigues, Biaggi etc etc. I miss the 500's 

Switching to 4 strokes, I'd say Rossi is nearly an equal to Stoner, yet he couldn't ride the Ducati when Stoner could on both that and the Honda, so what determines 'the best?'  Marquez is a loose cannon and a dangerous rider in my opinion, and by his own admission in a doco I watched, he rides at 110% or doesn't bother. He might be a multiple world champion, and there is no question he can ride, yet you can't keep that up without an amount of luck on your side. That's my opinion anyway 

Rossi starts lots of things , multi talented you gotta give it to him , even this new sport !!

@StevepGT3  gotta agree Stevo  , Stoner Aus and Schwantz for US amazing  ...  

What is is with Aussies  not giving some of the best riders greater levels of recognition.. Australia for a small country puts out some great riders ,  Corser , Bayliss  also worth the mention 

Stoner for US? Errrr.....?  No question Corser and Bayliss were bloody good. Especially Bayliss when he jumped on a MOTOGP bike and flogged them in a guest ride! Mat Mladin was another freak on a bike who got thrown in at the deep end with Cagiva, yet should have been on a Honda. He would have won the title no question. Anthony Gobert was also destined for huge things, but drugs and fame sorted him out (was arrested for robbery to feed his heroin addiction a while ago). Daryl Beattie was also a great rider till he lost all his toes. Anthony West had his chance, but he whinged about the bike too much and got the boot.

Australia has loads of very good riders, yet in this day and age, they can't raise enough cash for the rides available. Most riders in world Superbikes and Supersport don't get paid anything, so they rely on sponsor money. Off track a bit here, but Australian bike racing has suffered a massive downturn in crowd attendance, yet decent coverage on Foxtel, but sponsors don't see any return for their money. Good money sponsors are few and far between, so unless a top rider has a huge amount of cash to give a top European team or they're something special talent wise, you won't see too many more on the world stage unfortunately

10 hours ago, LeeM said:

Stoner for US? Errrr.....?  No question Corser and Bayliss were bloody good. Especially Bayliss when he jumped on a MOTOGP bike and flogged them in a guest ride! Mat Mladin was another freak on a bike who got thrown in at the deep end with Cagiva, yet should have been on a Honda. He would have won the title no question. Anthony Gobert was also destined for huge things, but drugs and fame sorted him out (was arrested for robbery to feed his heroin addiction a while ago). Daryl Beattie was also a great rider till he lost all his toes. Anthony West had his chance, but he whinged about the bike too much and got the boot.

Australia has loads of very good riders, yet in this day and age, they can't raise enough cash for the rides available. Most riders in world Superbikes and Supersport don't get paid anything, so they rely on sponsor money. Off track a bit here, but Australian bike racing has suffered a massive downturn in crowd attendance, yet decent coverage on Foxtel, but sponsors don't see any return for their money. Good money sponsors are few and far between, so unless a top rider has a huge amount of cash to give a top European team or they're something special talent wise, you won't see too many more on the world stage unfortunately

I missed a comma .. 

Archived