Speed Hump heights

Has anyone here had a chat to their local council and got them to fix up the heights of speed humps around them or modify the design?

Reason I'm asking is in the local area they're putting in another 3 speed humps. One of these speed humps is just over 120mm, with the rest around 110mm. All my cars have to angle to get over these humps without bottoming out at some point. 

I've already damaged the drainage points on my MX-5 due to these stupid heights as well as scraped my nose coming down the other side on the smaller ones. OEM clearance on older MX5's is around 110mm loaded.

I would prefer the council rip out speed humps, but I think that will fall on deaf ears. I already have to drive over a more than enough each day without another 3.

Ground clearance on my 997 C2 S is 100mm ........no way would it get over a 120 mm speed hump ......pretty sure a GT3 is even lower with the front lip they have ,,,,,, Council morons  .............:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, bear924 said:

There is an Australian standard for speed bumps. If the bumps don't meet this standard you'd probably be able to hit the council up for repairs.....

The only thing I found was this from VicRoads which I'm not sure covers regular speed bumps on suburban roads.
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/media/files/technical-documents-new/road-design-notes/road-design-note-0307--raised-safety-platforms-rsp.pdf

"4.3. Profile 4.3.1. Height The typical RSP dimensions recommended in Austroads Guide to Traffic Management (2008) are:
• Desirable height = 100mm
• 75mm may be considered where site constraints and traffic composition suggests a lower height profile (e.g. high truck volume routes). Ramp heights less than 75mm are not effective at reducing speeds and should not be considered
• 150mm may be used for low speed (less than 50km/h) and low traffic volume environments, however, platforms that are over 100mm may damage low-floor vehicles and are not to be used on any arterial roads
Note: The above dimensions have been selected to align with Austroads Guide to Traffic Management (2008)3,"

Unfortunately the Austroads publications aren't free.

I'll have access to the standard next week. If no one else is able to provide a review, I'll dig it up and see what it says. Reason I know the standard exists is because I had a similar problem with vicious speed bumps. In my situation, we found the bumps met standard however they were prefabricated so I wasn't surprised. Home made bumps might have more variability.  

36 minutes ago, bear924 said:

There is an Australian standard for speed bumps. If the bumps don't meet this standard you'd probably be able to hit the council up for repairs.....

In NSW, road authorities like Council's generally use their own standards that whilst based on the Australian Standard/AUSROADS, don't necessarily follow them exactly.  To see the standard speed hump dimensions and cross section that a particularly Council uses, a search of their subdivision code or development control plan (DCP) is where you would go on their website.

If the speed hump has lots of scrape marks on it indicating that many people are struggling with it, they are usually very happy to modify, particularly if a bus route.

There is also a move away from speed humps to speed cushions or pillows as they effect buses and emergency vehicles less but still modify other driver's speed behaviour.   

They put 5 or 6 huge speedhumps around 140mm on the long driveway of my sons school -- banked traffic up the entire drive, out the gates, up the street, and around the corner etc etc hahahha. Lasted 2 days and they pulled them back out -- they thought everyone drives suv's and it'd work and most do but they were slowing down to a stop for each hump and all the mums tooting each other... sounded like a goal scored at the local footy for an hour :Jumping:

That would be awesome if you could dig that out @bear924

Here's a google maps shot of one of the speed humps which already exists that I scrape over. As you can see in this photo the road curves and the hump is just long enough so your front wheels are off it before you backs are on.

40419193965_68004f841a_b.jpg

Here's the other one a couple of streets away which has got a few gouge marks in it, but is around the 100mm height so I don't think I can complain about this one. You can see it's got a few nice gouges in it. I'm guessing these are the types you're talking about @Peter M
40601521824_4e29da10c1_b.jpg

10 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

They put 5 or 6 huge speedhumps around 140mm on the long driveway of my sons school -- banked traffic up the entire drive, out the gates, up the street, and around the corner etc etc hahahha. Lasted 2 days and they pulled them back out -- they thought everyone drives suv's and it'd work and most do but they were slowing down to a stop for each hump and all the mums tooting each other... sounded like a goal scored at the local footy for an hour :Jumping:

I would love that outcome! Unfortunately the worst it becomes is a few cars backed up due to my angling over, meanwhile SUV's still slam trough at around 50k

On 08/04/2018 at 8:51 PM, Peter M said:

In NSW, road authorities like Council's generally use their own standards that whilst based on the Australian Standard/AUSROADS, don't necessarily follow them exactly.  

The thing with Australian Standards is that inless they are referenced in an act, regulation, or some other legislation, they are merely a recommendation.  Anyone can then choose to adopt them or not. 

Archived