ANZAC DAY

To all serving and ex service men and women on our forum.

Have a special day, hopefully catch up with your mates and share some memories and laughs.

Thank you all for your service for our great country.

lest we forget.

1 hour ago, Niko said:

Have a special day, hopefully catch up with your mates and share some memories and laughs.

lest we forget.

There’s more than few amongst us mate.

Have a great day brothers.

Lest we forget. 

2 hours ago, Niko said:

lest we forget.

And a special call out to you @Niko - a life time spent protecting us, from Vietnam through your Police career

Always a special day when I think of both my grandfathers who fought in WWII. 

My grandfather is in this amazing footage of the strikes Sunderland E landing on land - still incredible to me...

Lest we forget.

Nice one Andy. My grandfather was also RAAF in WW2 he was an aircraft fitter. 

Worked on Kittyhawks, Wirraway, Boomerangs and Spitfires.

He is bottom right in this pic, changing the wing decal on a Spitfire because they were being confused for the Jap Zero markings, last pic is the cover of Wings magazine, he is at the rear with the hat on.

He basically raised me and my brother, I can thank him for my love of all things mechanical.

44E958FE-AFAA-423F-84C3-9B8C0F83B47B999EE351-0B45-4025-9E8E-D4E3699819ED

643AB368-CAD5-42A2-BB67-CE58E0DBC57C

55 minutes ago, Pokiou said:

Hopefully its not out of line, but my great great parents served on the opposite side of the war... SO i salute both parties with lots of love and respect!.

I don't think that's out of line mate - all sides fought and lost so many. 

53 minutes ago, Pokiou said:

Hopefully its not out of line, but my great great parents served on the opposite side of the war... SO i salute both parties with lots of love and respect!.

Not at all. Soldiers share a bond regardless.

Have you seen the statue at Gallipoli of the Turkish soldier carrying the wounded digger? Awesome. 

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

Nice one Andy. My grandfather was also RAAF in WW2 he was an aircraft fitter. 

Worked on Kittyhawks, Wirraway, Boomerangs and Spitfires.

He is bottom right in this pic, changing the wing decal on a Spitfire because they were being confused for the Jap Zero markings, last pic is the cover of Wings magazine, he is at the rear with the hat on.

He basically raised me and my brother, I can thank him for my love of all things mechanical.

44E958FE-AFAA-423F-84C3-9B8C0F83B47B999EE351-0B45-4025-9E8E-D4E3699819ED

643AB368-CAD5-42A2-BB67-CE58E0DBC57C

It's amazing seeing old photos like that. They were all such young blokes.

7 hours ago, Ozvino said:

And a special call out to you @Niko - a life time spent protecting us, from Vietnam through your Police career

@Ozvino couldn’t agree more and @Nikostill looks out for us all.

a big thanks to all of the our service men and women. Words cannot express our gratitude.

I can't fathom how horrific it must be to face war on the front or back up lines, or endure the stress and anxiety of a sibling or parent at war. We, and our kids, who have the fortunate luck to be born at the "right" time, between wars, not eligible for drafting, no mandatory military service etc must always be grateful for the guys that have laid down their lives, suffered the physical/ mental injuries that last, and served with the possibility of that happening. Appreciation, gratitude and cheers to all you blokes! My grandfather served and never would speak about it and my old man was an engineer in the RAAF in WW2 and fortunately for us he never left Australia -- he  always maintained ""it ended because they heard i was going over to fight"" hahahah but he'd seriously tell me many blokes he knew and knew of never survived and never to be a part of war if I had half a chance of avoiding it. "No winners in war" was what he usually quipped.

I looked over a fair few news websites and newspapers in the weekend and days before ANZAC day and was perturbed at the lack of articles, stories etc ... coverage ... of the vets, current servicemen, battles etc etc - the remembrance/celebration of ANZAC day. Must always be remembered!

Archived