Buying a 981S Boxster

Trentw

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2013/OAG-AD-15838859/?Cr=0

Hi friends

Drove this today and of course - loved it.

There is a similar priced one available with PASM  - but this one doesn't have PASM but has Sport Chrono and Sports Exhaust.

I will take it to the track once or twice but this is more for the road.

Any advice for my first Porsche...take the PASM or the go fast bits?

Thanks!

38 minutes ago, Trentw said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2013/OAG-AD-15838859/?Cr=0

Hi friends

Drove this today and of course - loved it.

There is a similar priced one available with PASM  - but this one doesn't have PASM but has Sport Chrono and Sports Exhaust.

I will take it to the track once or twice but this is more for the road.

Any advice for my first Porsche...take the PASM or the go fast bits?

Thanks!

Lovely car - go the fast bits definately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Trentw,

Other factors being equal, if it is a choice between Chrono & PSE and another car with PASM only, I would go with Chrono & PSE on the car you have driven - one of the reasons for going with PASM is to achieve reasonable ride comfort with 20” wheels but this car is on 19” wheels so I would not worry about the absence of PASM. Also say that Chrono & PSE are great options and would be essential for me.I also like the much higher feeling of interior quality on cars fitted with full leather interiors  - that was an expensive option when new ($5,690) so not many cars were specified with full leather but to my eye, it looks so much classier.

I'd taken the go fast bits over PASM and I think Sports Chrono is a must with the PDK.

Be very careful regarding the Porsche factory warranty they claim this car has until August this year as the Porsche Extended Warranty has a specific exclusion which says that The warranty is not transferable to another party (e.g. a licensed motor vehicle dealer) if that party acquires the vehicle for the purpose of resale and I don't see how this car is covered by the standard warranty being 5 years old.

Here is some details on the extended warranty program which shows that exclusion http://www.porschebrighton.com.au/Warranty-Extension

Thanks team - really appreciate the help!

Let's see if hey can knock a few dollars off the price tag ;)

Very interesting about the warranty also - thanks for that!

Ill let you all know how i go!

I would talk to Porsche about the warranty.  They issue a certificate with a code which is linked to the registration so would be easy to check with a phone call if covered if you decide to buy.  Go with Sports Chrono and Sports Exhaust.  I have both on mine and these are what makes the car super great not just great.  Just wait until you hear it, Sport mode, high revs, PDK changing up and down through twisty mountain roads and you will be sold for life.  You should be able to screw them on the price as I paid just a bit more for mine and it is a MY2015 with 20" wheels same options apart from the Bose (which you will not turn on anyway) and 16000 klms, 2 years ago.  The asking on mine was $129,900 and I got it for $115,000.  If they are not willing to deal walk away.  Offer them $95,000 and pay no more than $99,000 on this car.

There is also this.  More klms and bigger price but offer $112,000 and you never know

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2015/OAG-AD-15763777/?Cr=4

or this no sports exhaust but you just put on an after market one

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2013/OAG-AD-15910379/?Cr=22

Note that Porsche warranties are not transferable through a used car dealer. If an individual (private seller) sells a car you can transfer the warranty but the moment a non Porsche dealership sells the car the warranty expires. All approved used Porsche cars will sell with a 12 month warranty from a Porsche dealership.

Other thing to consider with a PDK - go for a car with the paddles not the buttons if you can find one. You can change the wheel but it will cost around $3k

@Trentw before writing off the red interior have a look at one in the flesh.  They always look too bright on line but in the flesh they are really subtle and look fantastic.  I admit online looks like "what were they thinking" but look not so RED when you see it up close, certainly worth a look this GTS if you can get it for the right price.  

@Lucky Phil

Thanks for that. Let's see how I go on the other ones first.

If I can get the first one for 95k I think I would be stoked with that...or the second one you linked for around 90k maybe...

The best thing about this whole process is I don't have to rush in - i'd like one today but I don't need to decide on the spot.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2013/OAG-AD-15910379/?Cr=22

Ok so no exhaust and i'm looking at around 95k drive away. I would be buying from Porsche GC which would give me a bit of a buzz also - plus get 12 months warranty.

Has the exhaust but they want 99k - plus i am up for $3000 in stamp duty

So I am leaning towards the first one and saving 7k...thoughts @Lucky Phil @Ozvino @Troubleshooter @rego @Apogee @nytelfer

The other advantage of the first cheaper one - I am using finance so I don't have to stump up the cash for stamp duty!
Thanks for all your help so far team!

First car looks a good buy at $95k incl. the warranty

Just an FYI - you can fit a Porsche Sports exhaust if you want - it will cost you ballpark $5500 incl. labour. You need to replace the exhaust, interior switch and re-map the computer.It will look factory correct. If you were super keen on the exhaust you could push them to supply and fit the unit at cost - worth asking.

You can also do aftermarket exhaust tweaks at a lower cost if its just sound you are after

The only worry with the after market exhaust is the warranty, otherwise all as mentioned by Ozvino.  You already know that option 1 get's my vote and at $95K good buying.  If you can get them to do the exhaust at cost then you are all set.  The sound is what you need, it is addictive, so I would be pushing hard to say I want to buy it but want a sports exhaust and see what they can do.

Tell them you are considering a GTS as well to push the point

That seems like a pretty good deal!

How are they giving you a drive away price on the Gold Coast if you are in Sydney? Is it NSW registered or will they get it NSW registered for you?

I picked up a 981 Boxster S with similar KM's last year and asked the Porsche dealer prior to signing off on the car for the rotor measurements and factory specs. When they checked they ended up replacing the rotors plus pads as part of the deal since we already agreed on a price. Would suggest maybe asking for rotor measurements if you can, never hurts to ask and you might end up with something for free like I did.

Yes they are registering it in nsw for me - i don't ask questions!

GUYS! I own a Porsche!!! 3-4 weeks before I can get it because the exhaust has to come from Germany - how exciting.

So thankful for all your advice!

Archived