License (rego) plate frames --- yes or no?

Do you have them on your Porsche?  I don't like the dealer ones . . . not keen on using my car as a mobile advertising billboard  . . . dealer stickers on the back window, dealer plate frame, etc.

Altrex make those plain black ones that they sell at SuperCheap, etc.  And there's used to be a guy in Australia making really high quality custom ordered plate frames for prestige cars but his online shop seems to have disappeared. (anyone remember the name?)

I'm leaning towards no frame at all but with rubber bumpers to keep the plate from touching the car's paint.

Any strong views?

1 hour ago, npvpositive said:

Do you have them on your Porsche?  I don't like the dealer ones . . . not keen on using my car as a mobile advertising billboard  . . . dealer stickers on the back window, dealer plate frame, etc.

Altrex make those plain black ones that they sell at SuperCheap, etc.  And there's used to be a guy in Australia making really high quality custom ordered plate frames for prestige cars but his online shop seems to have disappeared. (anyone remember the name?)

I'm leaning towards no frame at all but with rubber bumpers to keep the plate from touching the car's paint.

Any strong views?

Think it was Lakine but he stopped last year. 

Ive got the Altrex ones. They are ok. The Kingston ones also look ok. But none of the, are great quality. 

Autohaus seem to put some on their and their customers’ cars that look quite good although mildly branded too. 

If you find something better post it up!

1 hour ago, npvpositive said:

I put mine on with no frame and 3M Automotive double sided tape to avoid drilling holes in the plate or having the plate scratch the bumper. Have driven cars for years with 3M tape holding plates on, done track days, driven in torrential rain etc.. with no issues.

It also allows some flexibility in mounting if you want to bend the plate around a curved bumper to avoid the edge showing.

I probably wouldn't be game to use it on a classic without a clear coat though.

1 hour ago, D2000 said:

Autohaus seem to put some on their and their customers’ cars that look quite good although mildly branded too. 

I quite like the Autohaus ones.  Their rear ones (with the Autohaus badge) are a nice fit for the small Tassie plates, so I've got them on the front plates of both our cars, leaving the rears "naked"...  Scott was kind enough to give me some replacements when my front one was destroyed by an errant foreign student.....

Archived