911 rental in Germany

A few months ago I read that one of the major car rental companies was offering 911's for short term / off-peak rental for a reasonable rate.   Eg - pickup in the evening/return the next morning.  Basically long enough to do a few blasts down the autobahn.  

I've searched my history and googled everywhere, but I can't find anything.

Does this sound familiar or am I crazy?

I know that Sixt and Avis have premium selections, but all they seem to offer now is F types? Avis do 911 in the UK and Sixt advertise 911 hire in Europe...

I am heading over next year and am starting to ponder/ look for similar.

Hertz also in the UK

26 minutes ago, YellowDieselGolf said:

A few months ago I read that one of the major car rental companies was offering 911's for short term / off-peak rental for a reasonable rate.   Eg - pickup in the evening/return the next morning.  Basically long enough to do a few blasts down the autobahn.  

I've searched my history and googled everywhere, but I can't find anything.

Does this sound familiar or am I crazy?

Porsche Museum Stuttgart..., they offer a few delicious treats at reasonable prices. 

https://drive.porsche.com/en/start.html

I've rented 911s several times in Germany (and the UK) from Avis. 4 of us went to Geneva this year and 3 of the group were in 991.2 Carreras which were picked up from Frankfurt.  I can highly recommend it. 

https://www.avis.de/rund-um-avis/mietwagen/prestigecars

Sometimes finding the right  web link in English can be tricky but if you ring Avis Germany, they speak excellent English and you can do the entire booking on the phone.

2 hours ago, scashin said:

229 Euro's for a 911 for the day.   Not sure if that includes all fees.  Not bad

Only includes 400km for a 2 day hire, where the Porsche hire is a little more pricey but included kilometers is 1000km. Worthwhile checking both depending on the distance you want to drive?

A small tip for those that hire cars overseas (or even in Australia for that matter), most times you will have travel insurance, check your insurance inclusions as it generally includes the high excesses that most car hire companies charge as standard - there is no need to up your hire rate to reduce the excess. (does not work in the USA as they generally include the full cover in the standard rate)

2 hours ago, Dalai said:

Only includes 400km for a 2 day hire, where the Porsche hire is a little more pricey but included kilometers is 1000km. Worthwhile checking both depending on the distance you want to drive?

How many trips up and down the autobahn is that? :P

3 minutes ago, scashin said:

Actually did a little research this morning. Could hire in Stuttgart after looking at both the Museum and taking the Factory tour, head south to Switzerland to Meiringen and drive a ~180km loop over the Nufenen Pass, 2478m, Susten Pass, 2224m, Grimsel Pass, 2165 m  and St. Gotthard-Pass, 2109m within the 1000km included mileage. B)

Hmm, still expensive no matter which way you look at it... the Avis 911 is 1 euro per km over the 200km daily allowance....

I am going to do the Porsche Silverstone experience and then most likely "just" hire a Merc for the Germany/ Switzerland regions......

1 hour ago, scashin said:

You are on unlimited autobahn immediately on leaving Frankfurt airport. Your engine will still be warming up. It’s an insanely fun experience.

Last year, when I was in Germany, we went out for a blast one evening. Between 8pm and 6am it's open speed limit in the area where my family lives. So we're in his AMG SLK43, and I'm doing 230+ k's. Then he says "Nachts muss man auf der straße nach Rehen Ausschau halten". Which translates into "at night you have to watch out for deer on the road". 

On 10 May 2018 at 7:15 AM, mhh said:

I've rented 911s several times in Germany (and the UK) from Avis. 4 of us went to Geneva this year and 3 of the group were in 991.2 Carreras which were picked up from Frankfurt.  I can highly recommend it. 

https://www.avis.de/rund-um-avis/mietwagen/prestigecars

Sometimes finding the right  web link in English can be tricky but if you ring Avis Germany, they speak excellent English and you can do the entire booking on the phone.

Lucky me for I logged on tonight.  Thanks @mhh ... very helpful.  I am going to be in Europe myself in mid June and was planning to get to the Porsche Museum as part of the itinerary and also to Nurburgring.  I was checking out RSR Garage who have been highly recommended.  I can do a track day with them for 895 Euros ($1,400) or hire a Porsche 911 GTS from Stuttgart airport for 4 days and return it to Bonn airport for an extra $100 and take it for a few laps on the Nurburgring.  Nothing close to full the RSR track day experience I'm sure but I also get the benefit of driving the GTS for the rest of the time all over the place.  Seems like a pretty good option to me.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:36 AM, ANF said:

A small tip for those that hire cars overseas (or even in Australia for that matter), most times you will have travel insurance, check your insurance inclusions as it generally includes the high excesses that most car hire companies charge as standard - there is no need to up your hire rate to reduce the excess. (does not work in the USA as they generally include the full cover in the standard rate)

My insurance did have such cover for excess (in case of accident) up to about $3500 but it expressly excluded sports cars so be careful...unless you're renting a Macan or Cayenne, you might be out of luck.

I did a 2 day rental with Porsche Museum Stuttgart and it came out to about $900AUD for the weekend. Well worth it for a 911 4S cab. Certainly did give it a few blasts down the autobahn.

Archived