Hi new member from wollongong

As title say iam from wollongong just bought a 2001 986 2.7lt auto

first time porsche owner had a very not so good experiance from dealer.Iam wanting to meet new people and go on some runs and have fun

plus learning alot from you guys

cheers

Welcome aboard our great forum Jason, and congratulations on your "new" P car.

I agree with the the boys above, great choice for an introduction to P cars.

It's a shame the dealer has disappointed you.  Feel free to let us know what the problem was, without naming the dealer.

Plus we all enjoy a photo or two of the new cars to the forum....

Keep your eye on the SMT posts, and hopefully you will get a run in, in the not too distant future.

The runs back off a tad in the winter months...

Thanks all.well test drive car 15min run all seemed  good  This was a saturday morning they said casr had to go through workshop ok then pick up tuesday morning.

Anyway pick up car head towards wollongong just past national park turn off and temp bang straight to the red then banging and thumping coming from floor and front of car i pulled over fast i could.rang dealer went ballistic wanted my old car back they said oh cant the manager isnt here(bullshit) tow truck flatbed picks up its in work shop they cant find anything wrong with it???? no leaks or anything so young fella apprantley worked for a porsche place but has ended up in mercedes? anyway they think it was an air lock,in the meantime  i was ringing them and saying hey it could be coolant box check under carpet for leakage its all good they had it for 1 1/2 days looking guessing but all the time  the light is flashing next to temp gauge and that means coolant level but no dealer tells me it goes of when engine reaches the correct temp??.I pick car up tuesday drive home with light flashing but temps stayed at 85-90c didnt overheat this time once cooled i checked coolant box and kick a dead cow i had to add nearly 2liters of coolant no more flashing light.Atleast i have 3months warrenty if breaks down so iam going to drive the pants of it for 1 week and see how it turns out really not happy with that workshop they dont  seem to be up to date on things.

Jason, I had a similar problem with my 986, what happened was the coolant reservoir in the rear trunk cacked itself.  

Coolant everywhere and water falling out the back of the car.

I crapped myself as well.   Virtually no warning. (that I picked up anyway) however the light was now flashing. I rang my workshop and was told there will still be enough coolant in the system and to drive it to them, with the light flashing.    I did and it was about twenty k's the actual temp stayed at the right temp for the drive and the light was apparently indicating a loss of coolant not overheating.  (plus it was a red hot Melbourne day middle of summer) 

The coolant reservoir is something that does get brittle over time and will fault.   The 986 has a couple of things that go on them, the Air Oil Separator (AOS) is something that may go on you at any time, and when it does you will again have a heart attack.    Smoke out of the rear like a bushfire, mainly on start up, but not all the time, until it gets really bad.

But it is an easy fix, a couple of hundred bucks at a workshop.

The cars are reasonable bullet proof though as long as you look after them.

OK cheers ive done alot of reading and researching, lol it was embrassing telling the dealer what to look for haha.Do you know of any people in wollongong area that is good to work on it.

9 minutes ago, Jason jay said:

Do you know of any people in wollongong area that is good to work on it.

Over to the NSW clan....

when my AOS started to appear, I took the car to Porsche Centre Brighton, explained to  them what was happening, I didn't know what it was being new to the P car family.

they kept the car for 3 days, did all sorts of pressure tests supposedly gave me a bill and told me they couldn't find anything.

start up smoke appeared again, I was recommended to an independent from others on this forum.   Called in started to explain what the car was doing, was stopped half way through my story, and told it is my AOS.   Left it with them and picked if up at the end of the day, all done and about $180 from memory.  

So even taking it to the people who should know doesn't work some times.

Yes firestone all dry under carpet 2 days now water level full i ran heater aswell and i think too when someone put coolant in they never used the bleed valve  and it caused airlock everything seems fine now.

Niko atleast somebody picked it straight away insted of playing a guessing game.

5 hours ago, Jason jay said:

OK cheers ive done alot of reading and researching, lol it was embrassing telling the dealer what to look for haha.Do you know of any people in wollongong area that is good to work on it.

Hi Jason - congratulations on the purchase.

I once met a guy from around Thirroul who mentioned he had an old mechanic/contact in wollongong that was looking after his 3.2 mid 80's 911.....so there is someone down that way but I unfortunately didn't ask for details.  I've used EMD in the past (https://www.emdautomotive.com.au/Home.html in the past and been happy with them - they quite often have a boxter or two in there.  You'd be more than welcome to tag  along with any of our tours if you feel in the mood - the roads are not any great secret (typically RNP & escarpment) however you will be driving with a few other Porsches.Enjoy the Boxster.....I still feel they're the best of the modern road Porsches.

19 hours ago, Jason jay said:

@GC9911 may be able to help you out with a mech and is a good guy to get involved with on the driving scene down that way as well as @Gavin (CliffToCoast)

Enjoy your car mate and don't let a bodgy dealer spoil your experience, do your homework and if you are handy on the spanners, you may want to do some maintenance yourself.

If you don't have records of the last water pump replacement I'd do it and the lower temperature thermostat and housing. Coolant replacement. Brake fluid change. Again if you don't have any idea when last changed.

Edit: It is generally accepted that the composite impeller type waterpump is better than the alloy.

2 hours ago, Jason jay said:

In the service book it has had major and moinor service within  12mnth period and has done little km's i emailed the workshop autowerks charmhaven  to get some history of the car

Hi Jason,

I don’t know any local P car mechs in the gong  as I’m still under PCW warranty. There is a guy in Peakhurst but that’s back in Sydney for you, I can make some calls to people I know to try & locate a local for you, let me know if that would help you.

It may well be worth your while to visit Autohaus on the northside, I know it’s a long way but they have the “genuine/helpful” reputation, plenty of guys on here will vouch for them.

If you're coming to Sydney for servicing I think the options are pretty much The Pit Exchange (Peakhurst), Cavacos (Glebe), PRT (brookvale?) Autohaus, BWA....there's another east side that has slipped my mind at the moment but they're the main ones.  I've been happy for 15+ years at Cavacos...which is not take anything away from any of the others.

• 1 month later...

Archived