Tribalism

Guest Nick987

Guest Nick987

Oh there you go, bringing class into it!!!! (Monty Python) I was wondering whether there is any...errr...differentiation amongst P owners based on models? Some years ago, I imported a Citroen 2CV6 and joined Club Citroen Australia. I was treated like a distant cousin. "It's not a real Citroen"..."it doesn't have hydraulic suspension"...etc,. So I hope the same isn't true amongst P owners, just because our engines are in the middle?

Yeah?

Oh Caver!

We have the pre 9'ers reckon the 9 series isn't an 'authentic Porsche', then we have the 'pre '11er's' reckon the 911 isn't a 'pure' 9 series (901 etc.) then we have the pre 964'ers then the pre 993'ers, reckon their 911 SC, 3.0, 3.2, Carrera series is the only 'true' example' of a 911 (and the last to be designated the '911' model - right Douglas? :D) , and we get the 964 boys reckon THEIRS was the state of the art of the of the 911 and the pinnacle of ITS evolution and then the 993 boys get all hurt and sensitive that theirs are CALLED 911's and are the 'last of the air cooleds'... (right Theo?) :D

And then THEY all tribe up as the 'pre water cooled' brigade and get all snooty with anything that uses water to undertake any function other than squirting windows...don't even get me started with any machine that has the motor 'in the wrong spot' up front, only uses two gears (eieeh Kerry? :D) and needs water to prevent it from becoming an angry, molten ball of fury tunneling its way to China...

Then there is the 'experiential purist' that believes anything more than a steering wheel and brake pedal is 'getting in the way' of the 'unadulterated driving experience', and is 'distancing engagement of your ass with the road' and 'cushioning you and removing you' from feeling the type of gravel and thickness of the white road line paint you are travelling over and numbing the twittering semaphores the steering is conveying through your fingertips, even IF ABS, airbags, stability management, go loud zorst buttons, level adjusting suspension, selective corner wheel braking whatsits, active engine vario cam bolt connecting dooverwackers and foam in the seat (basically advances of the last 10 years) make for a more enjoyable 'experience' where they ensure you aren't wrapped around an armco staring at your anus and trying to unclip your seatbelt with a wrist swivelled around 180 degrees.

Oh and did I mention the sub genus of 'auto' lovers? The tippers, PDK'ers, 3'onna'tree'ers that will fight to the death, manno-a-manno, wrists tied together with rope and short knives gleaming in the shadowless midnight full moon light, 'sicilian style', while waves gently shhhushh up the beach, defending their choice of tranny and all the 'fun' they have with it on those long, long drives? (Here's looking at YOU Chris :D ) Like those stick jockeys can't just stick it in 4th, 5th, or 6th (or even 7th now depending on your position in the food chain) and just lope along the highway...

Then there is 'us', the midders, reckon secretly at night when no one is watching, smirking quietly to ourselves in the dark, palms sweaty with anticipation waiting for the next SMT and all the windy roads we will be able to show those arse hangers we got the minerals, thinking we got the best of the lot, how all their supercars (except the 959), their hero racers (excluding 930 based models) and F1's are made mid for a reason and they're all deluding themselves and have to live with all the ' and how the midders are REALLY the evolution of the 911 if P had executed on their plan to morph the 928 into the future 911 back in the late '80's...

Then we ALL tribe up against anything with 4 doors and rail in futile anger, fists waving in the air in faux derision, molotovs lit, pick axes sharpenned and sickles waving angrily in the direction of the the Mother Ship that has 'sold out' and gone mass market, agreed 'resistance is futile' and succumbed to the wacky tabacky tooting VAG Borg to stay viable whilst all the while secretly being relieved they did so we can continue to own and drive our 'true' P's...

Don't even ask me what will happen when batteries and v8's are mashed together and thrown into the mix!

Yeah, nah, those sick, frenchy lovin' Citroen boys got it all screwed up.

Guest Nick987

Oh and I forgot to mention those fringy, hispter, beat types - the forced induction boys...always tinkerin'...factory setups missing the mark...400+ horsepower just not quite enough...eh Vas?

:D

Very well put my articulate friend

I too wonder where you find the time? Regardless I personally really appreciate the input and banter.

Now back to the subject at hand........................

I believe a particular member who has two lovely versions of this marque, doesn't really embrace the idea of anything 964 onwards not having the right to be called a 911!!!!!!!!!I

I am absolutely gutted and insulted at this very notion. We all know the real 911s stopped when they became water pumpers!!!

I suggest we go to "Tribal Council" for a vote!!!!!!

Love it. At first i didn't like the tribalism, now i have learned to enjoy the banter. Don't get me wrong, i love the air cooled cars but there is one problem with being a die hard air cooled fan - nothing to look forward to.......

• 1 month later...

and us little four bangers with the motor at the wrong end and to make it even worse water cooled, don't even rate a mention. At A PCV event I got asked what I drive and said an 86 turbo, and the guy who asked was oh wow a 930, and when i said no it was a 952 he became far less excited lol. To be honest I'm glad most ppl don't rate my car as it meant I could afford it, and I feel like it's the best kept secret in the Porsche world. I mean a car that goes like a cut, cat, has superb balance, and doesn't try to punt you off the road backwards if you get it wrong, is really something that should be looked down on :P I'm guessing most ppl who put it down just haven't driven one

peace

cyberpunky

Well spoken CP....although you break your own mantra by publicising the fact that the 944 is the "best kept secret". And again on your Kewl site!!! You really need to start keeping the secret...secret! :-)

I have driven a 944, but it was a terrible example and vibrated everywhere. Probably torque tube bearings where shot. It was a non turbo too, so a little sluggish, which wasn't a bad thing as I was expecting to judder off the road at any moment.

I'm sure that the late, great Nick987 would have had a tribal category for you...but as you can read, he got a little heated and forgot to include it. Perhaps, you are the "Front engined - I don't need to prove a thing" brigade?

Hope to catch up with you tomorrow.

Cheers

David...

100 Posts and Zero warning points!!!!!

and brake pedal is 'getting in the way' of the 'unadulterated driving experience'.

When it is offset to the driving position !!!

Don't you love it ! HHHHeeeee.

Hey Mark. Didn't think you knew what a brake pedal was!!!!!!!!!

Hugh, even acknowledging that any such list would cause more arguments than it settled, that list is just plain loopy and full of wrongheadedness.

(But you already know that!)

James

I was concerned that the conversation was becoming superficial and lacking 'factual' information only the interweb could answer. I was relieved to find this article that seemed to clarify the impossible and make me realise the error of my Porsche inclined ways. (insert smiley face here)

Ha Ha......I rest my case FIFTH very very happy with that...plus YES YES YES it's a yellow one. Great survey, has my backing.

desismileys_4294-1.gif

HAIRDRESSERS RULE!

Gee created a monster here didn’t I, Good to see you running with the hairdresser theme just

don’t trip over those golden locks!! :lol:

Cheers

Steve.

Archived