911 oil filter spill tray

81SC

1 hour ago, ANF said:

Silly design :ph34r:

A remote, remote filter would work really well, one where you could make the filter vertical, no spillage at all then :D

Not really as when the engine isn't running the filter is never more than about a 1/3 full as being dry sumped the filter freely drains into the oil tank.  As long as you tip the end of the filter down when it gets to the end of the thread, it's a pretty clean operation.

Can't say I like vertical filters as they are always brimming full with oil which always seem to run instantly down your hand.  

993's have to be the worst cars ever to do oil changes, two vertical filters, one you can't actually remove vertically due other components (after having to remove some heat exchanger ducting ?!?) and the rocker cover (ie the panel running  under the door) plus half the plastic rear wheel mudguard liner to get to the other filter is pain.  Oh, the dip stick being about 2 metres of Bowden cable is just joke too!

Nah, I reckon pre 89 911's are pretty nice to change oil.  I agree with Mike, a bit of rag is all you need.  Anyway, what else has two sump plugs, plenty of oil so you can enjoy the flow and a filter you can reach from above??

That was very much tongue in cheek Peter :)

However I do find a vertical or near vertical filter the best.

The best method I have seen is on my last few Mercs. You replace the actual filter part only, with the body staying put. Unscrew the cap and pull the filter out, and if you leave it for a few minutes the oil drains back into the engine so no oil dripping, and yes all from the top too :)

On 9/14/2018 at 4:25 PM, 81SC said:

Now this is a great idea. Oil filter spill tray from Rennline, Pelican will also have these soon. I will be adding one of these to my next order, so no more messy clean ups.?

T09-2.jpg

No spillage onto the engine bay......but now you have to juggle the oil filled tray and clean it or wipe it out with a rag.

:Chuckle2:

I'm oldskool on this one too.

Bunch of old rags under the filter, and around engine tinwork. Quick wipe under the filter on the way out. And a flexible funnel with offset spout $4 from Supacheep. Easy.

I also use a few old style 1L filler bottles with a long spout. The authentic glass vintage ones are $$$ but you can get them from Autobarn or Supacheep in plastic $20.

They really helps with overflow spillage from filling too fast, and getting easy access to the spout vs a large bottle. Just takes a little longer to decant from 5L bottles.Quicker still than cleaning up a large spillage regardless of using a tray, rags or anything else. 

Archived