Have been following the 993 wide body (manual) market for some time via Car Sales. These are a couple of the cars I have seen for sale. Anyone know what they eventually went for and if they are PFA members? Want to start creating a bit of a price watch on these as there aren't too many in oz. 

Screenshot_20190405-120730_Carsales.jpg

Screenshot_20190405-120716_Carsales.jpg

Screenshot_20190405-120945_Carsales.jpg

Screenshot_20190405-120849_Carsales.jpg

Screenshot_20190405-121126_Carsales.jpg

Screenshot_20190405-121105_Carsales.jpg

Screenshot_20190405-120837_Carsales.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Anyone tracking this in tippers on widebodys?

This seems particularly tasty.  https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1996/SSE-AD-5814103/?Cr=14

Have only been watching the for sales but not aware of the final concluded prices of any of these tippers unfortunately. Either way based off the sales price this seems very cheap. 

45 minutes ago, Harold996tt said:

... Either way based off the sales price this seems very cheap. 

Probably not cheap, probably just more likely to be sold.  Some of those cars in your opening post have been advertised for years and I can't imagine they sold for the advertised price.

12 hours ago, Peter M said:

Probably not cheap, probably just more likely to be sold.  Some of those cars in your opening post have been advertised for years and I can't imagine they sold for the advertised price.

Have been in contact with the new owners of the two black S models mate and they were sold pretty much at asking. Not sure about the other cars. 

@Harold996tt I have been watching these 993's for awhile as well.   I drove one of the cars you have above here.  The black '97  S4 listed at 180k.  The owner was a great bloke and reluctant seller.  Awesome car but I just couldn't bring myself around to selling my turbo to get into his car.  I think it sold privately for 170k.  Very hard to price these accurately.  Some people are asking ridiculous $ for them.  That one above for $234 started at $245.  Most of the Aust. delivered original '96 or '97 S4's have an asking price around the 200k mark, depending on k's and condition/service history.   I personally feel that the right price for them at the moment is somewhere between 160-180 for a cracker and less for very high k's (150+).  I also saw the blue/green coloured one at PCM and was speaking with Pierro (GM) about it.  Very nice car.  Sold close to that asking price.  You can expect to pay more at a P dealer with some peace of mind that they will stand behind their claims if anything goes wrong.

Have you seen one that you a really warming to ?

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, 09ELF said:

Any thoughts on the Hamilton silver 4s?

Car looks good, but kms are alittle high. 

Looks fantastic. If Hamiltons has been looking after it then best to ask them and I am comforted by the fact they are selling it personally. Mileage is not an issue as long as its been looked after and isn't consuming excessive oil. 

16 hours ago, Harold996tt said:

Mileage is not an issue as long as its been looked after and isn't consuming excessive oil. 

All well and good, but how do you know if its well "looked after and isn't consuming oil" before you lay down really big $$$ for the privilege of buying. Suspension / exhaust / interiors wear in accordance with mileage and years no matter how well built the car was in 1996.

A 25 year old service record does not reflect the true condition of the car - OK when you are spending sub $50k but you are on a wing and a prayer when you lay down large amounts of dollars for an image !!

On reflection, $170K for a 180,000km car is all very well when we spend other peoples money, but I would still like to own a 993. 

2 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

All well and good, but how do you know if its well "looked after and isn't consuming oil" before you lay down really big $$$ for the privilege of buying. Suspension / exhaust / interiors wear in accordance with mileage and years no matter how well built the car was in 1996.

A 25 year old service record does not reflect the true condition of the car - OK when you are spending sub $50k but you are on a wing and a prayer when you lay down large amounts of dollars for an image !!

On reflection, $170K for a 180,000km car is all very well when we spend other peoples money, but I would still like to own a 993. 

If the car has been serviced by Autohaus, meeting with them and reviewing the invoices should give an indication of maintenance work done and I feel Autohaus wouldn't push the service records unless they were themselves sure of the work done. It seems that one may struggle to buy a car if they refuse to place any trust in service records from a reputable service centre. A leak down test would be the key thing to do before a sale. Other items can be felt on a road test and honestly at 25 years if one expects a perfect car then forget it. 

9 hours ago, Harold996tt said:

If the car has been serviced by Autohaus, meeting with them and reviewing the invoices should give an indication of maintenance work done and I feel Autohaus wouldn't push the service records unless they were themselves sure of the work done

Agree. I purchased a car they had done worked on for a couple of decades and a call prior to purchase gave me the info I needed. I recently looked at a 993 they had for sale and spoke with Grant who was very open about the limited history they had and what he felt was needed to bring it up to perfect in the near term including engine refresh. Feel they are always very straight up on these sort of conversations. With any doubts get a ppi somewhere else.

7 hours ago, Tips said:

Agree. I purchased a car they had done worked on for a couple of decades and a call prior to purchase gave me the info I needed. I recently looked at a 993 they had for sale and spoke with Grant who was very open about the limited history they had and what he felt was needed to bring it up to perfect in the near term including engine refresh. Feel they are always very straight up on these sort of conversations. With any doubts get a ppi somewhere else.

That's the whole point of having a car serviced with a reputable service centre like Autohaus for sure. They are very unlikely to put their name behind and speak positively of the service and condition of a car if they don't truly believe it as its their entire reputation on the line. If we don't think we can trust their word then as you say a ppi and to me a leak down test to show if any major work needs to be done. But if we still feel we can't trust that and beyond that if we expect the car to be absolutely perfect then we really should be buying a. 992 from the dealership with full warranty and not forking out big dollars for a 25 year old car. Even a low mileage car will have problems from cracked hoses and fuel lines to other issues. Maintenance from a reputable workshop is everything to me.