For a little while now I have been hankering for another driver. A car I could enjoy. As much as I have made comment on not looking twice at a 996, I knew with a 996 it was moreso about the drive. Yes some are die hards to a 996, but we all know they have a stigma. I had been watching the market for some time, and all of a sudden started getting more and more hungry for finding a 996. I do love a hunt!

I recall seeing movies like Deuce Bigalow, Gone in 60 seconds and others of the era having the cliche modern Porsche in silver on the screen, I think this era of Porsche in my eyes was the “Porsche Poonce” well it was back in the day for me.

Now, I think of a 996 in all its glory, as a minimalist modern!

The exterior shape is smooth and not too fat. The interior, well, without a glove box, plastic everywhere and the dash lighting up in lovely digital bedside night alarm orange, it’s definitely not a lux interior!

I have re-read @Simonk posts over and over for some time, right from when he listed his 996 for sale, through to comparing to his 997. I’ve had a 997 s man and there are some differences.

Just like cars of any other type, stance and detailing is all you need. The idea was to get a driver, clean it up, and put some kms on the clock. The wife also wanted an auto so she could have a go. I was open to this as it would include her and the kids more, and without the whiplash for them whilst shifting the gears!

I was quick with this car as it was the right price, the vultures would be swarming, and I was prepared to spend a bit on it due to the low entry.  I did go through it top to toe and it checked out very well. 

But, for anyone looking at such a car it really does pay to go through it with a fine tooth comb as all the little bits really do add up! I won’t care to share what I’ve spent to get it up to a certain standard, but it was a car with great service history and I still clocked up a big list. Saying this I did add a few things to the list that were not necessary for obtaining a rwc. I did want to triple check and go over board a little you could say.

Whats been done-

IMS, AOS, RMS, Konis all round, 25mm lowered Eibach’s, trans service, coil packs, oil, filters, plugs, belt and rollers, windscreen, Cup 2’s all round, engine mounts, tie rods, and other odds.

Darren at AutoCoupe I rate highly, he is my style, the way he communicates, I like him. 

I have only driven the car twice, once home, and once to Darren at AutoCoupe. First thought was how good the tipper was! Point and shoot! Second was how revvy it was. Third was the “ugly” headlights were nostalgic, past the point of ugly and now corny, cheesy, and period correct. 

I had to De-Dandenong the car, the twists went back on, and the lead heavy 20’s were flipped for a smooth $300 cash! “No, these will not for your commodore” was in the listings heading in the marketplace after 15 Enquiries in just as many minutes! 

The amplifier and head unit were binned, the stock head unit refitted. I had to clean out the car myself, from the sellers belongings. 3 odd socks, soccer boots, headphones, t-shirts, $1.20 in 5c pieces, travel maps, love letters, and a few chamois were rehomed. 

Looking forward to holding my latte in my left hand and pushing the right foot down through the twisties. I’ll be toasty in the car during cooler times and cooler in the car during toasty months! 😎 

A7227FE3-6179-49C7-A9C2-AEC77AA5205C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Very nice @Peter John ! Love the 98! Did the original radio come with the car? Mine has a double DIN unit with a reverse camera. I am kinda thinking of going back to the original look (but I’d have to source one). The camera is kinda useful though

Yes it did, in the box that the Pioneer head unit came in from the shop. Although it’s one model number different apparently. 

I always like period correct stuff, as it makes the car right to what it was, and doesn’t take away from its character.

1 hour ago, Simonk said:

Awesome Peter, well done! I regret ever selling mine although I still love my 997. It's just an unnecessary upgrade. You'll love the 996! (love your writing style too :) )

Hehe it’s hard to set out your thoughts when there can be many elements of the experience of said car. It all comes out at once and you have to arrange it to be understandable. 

Always exciting learning new cars, or even one you may have had for years! 

More porsche folk should write their experiences I say! As we all have a story!

34 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Nice one mate 👍 Tiptronic are great fun in the hills. Just needs the Mercedes paddle conversion and they'd be perfect for me

I’m looking forward to it! 😀

Great looking car! The series 1 996 is about the only 911 I would ever consider, but it would be a cold day in hell where I would sell my 928 for a 911... 😎

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

Nice one mate 👍 Tiptronic are great fun in the hills. Just needs the Mercedes paddle conversion and they'd be perfect for me

Why Lee? My ML has the buttons on the wheel (not paddles but pretty close as I have tried both) and I much prefer the traditional gear lever tiptronic in my wife's Volvo over the wheel mounted ones.

1 hour ago, Niko said:

Congratulations, looks great, love the stance.    Seems like the only thing you have to do to it now is ....DRIVE IT...     Enjoy the car 

Thanks @Niko can’t wait! 

37 minutes ago, Stepo said:

I'm glad it worked out for you, that was great buying, even with the upgrades :Beer:

Cheers mate! 😀

8 hours ago, ANF said:

Why Lee? My ML has the buttons on the wheel (not paddles but pretty close as I have tried both) and I much prefer the traditional gear lever tiptronic in my wife's Volvo over the wheel mounted ones.

Just a personal preferance mate.

I wasnt that keen on the thumb operated buttons on the 996 I drove, albeit briefly, yet it would probably be second nature once you got used to it.

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

I wasnt that keen on the thumb operated buttons on the 996 I drove, albeit briefly, yet it would probably be second nature once you got used to it.

I will be doing the conversion on my 996 if I end up keeping it....

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Thumb would be a bit weird, at least the Mercs have them at the back of the wheel

On 08/05/2019 at 20:30, Peter John said:

Now, I think of a 996 in all its glory, as a minimalist modern!

The exterior shape is smooth and not too fat. The interior, well, without a glove box, plastic everywhere and the dash lighting up in lovely digital bedside night alarm orange, it’s definitely not a lux interior!

Nicely said.

I think you mean “sporting and purposeful” interior right? 😄

Great write up, enjoy it!