Does your P car earn an income?

Just wondering if anyone uses their P car to earn an income from movies, tv, advertising or events like weddings etc?

if you do the movie/advertising thing, who are you registered with and what’s the feedback?

Give us your story, good and bad.

Does the car get hired much?

add a link or a photo if it’s appeared somewhere!!

I actually looked into this a few years ago but decided not to as I heard but not seen, that depending on the movie/commercial you don't drive the car and you don't really have a say on how it's used.

I remember a telemovie starring Gary Sweet that used a black 911 and apparently it was thrashed during the movie on dirt roads and got dusty and muddy and no care was taken to clean it.

Now I have to admit that this was hearsay and I did not witness this but just heard rumours through the Porsche grapevine.

If you are considering this you may want to see the fine print of any contract and if in doubt walk away.

I answered an ad on Gumtree.

All I have to do is pick up a hessian sack, take it on a nice drive through the twisties along the coast and drop it off at a lookout when it’s high tide.

I dunno why he wants it done in a Porsche, always a bit of a squeeze in the frunk, but “Tiny” is a nice bloke and he always pays in cash. 

My P-car was used for a petrol advertisement - but that was 35 years ago.  The sales manager was a mate of mine and I lent him the car free of charge on condition that they lent me an equivalent car, so I was given a brand new 928.  I insisted on manual, so their Managing Director ended up with a manual car for the next while, not his preference.  The ad was done in a studio, so my car didn't actually get driven but I had a lot of fun with the 928.  The "4 days" shooting took 3 weeks.

One of my vintage cars appeared in "The Great Gatsby".  When they called me to hire it, I refused on the grounds that it is too valuable and extremely difficult to drive.  But Baz Luhrman insisted.  So they hired me too.  That was an absolute gas, an eye opener and I would do it again like a shot as long as I was the driver.

I recently lent my '86 to a mate who was shooting an ABC cop series set in 1985. Wouldn't have done it if I didn't know him and the Lamborghini Countach he'd written into the script had fallen through. Picked up the car after the shoot and it had a 1985 rego sticker in the front window. Not sure when the series is out but here it is on set with period number plates and a couple of friends from the mid 80s. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8.jpg

On 28/05/2019 at 00:54, Tips said:

Just wondering if anyone uses their P car to earn an income from movies, tv, advertising or events like weddings etc?

if you do the movie/advertising thing, who are you registered with and what’s the feedback?

Give us your story, good and bad.

Does the car get hired much?

add a link or a photo if it’s appeared somewhere!!

turo ???