H4 globes - which is ok/best?

Philbee

Help, any sparky knowledgeable people here?

I’ve  had my headlights updated to LED globes. But in the last couple of outings & driving at night I’ve noticed I don’t like the pearly icey white look on my 70s looking car and a couple of drivers have said that they’re too bright!!

So want to change back to good old halogen H4s. But which ones? I went to repco auto shop last week and there’s a few of different intensities:

this I think is the basic one for about $15

H4.2

But then there’s 90% more:

H4.1 globes

And even more - 120%

H4.1 globes

And finally just a lot more:

H4.1 globes

My default is to get the basic H4 globes at top (pic1).... but will these other ones be better? Or drain the battery? Or overheat? These more intense globes $30-40 each

And what does 130/90W P43t mean? - pic4

Compared to 60/55W P45t? - pic1

😟... appreciate any feedback.

philbee

ps. I don’t have my original H4 globes 

4 minutes ago, Merv said:

I have LED headlights on my 6V 356.  Brighter than the lights on the Boxster!  Love them. If your feel they are too bright perhaps adjust the angles?

Yep, done that twice now... still seem too bright.😟

Electronics hobbyist here.

P45t and P43t are two different styles of base for the globe, and not interchangeable as far as I know. So make sure you get the right one of those. 130/90W is going to be the power draw at high and low beam settings. I wouldn't go for the super high power one, I'd be worried it would either draw too much power (blow fuses) or throw too much heat. Consider that the wiring and fixtures in these cars weren't designed for modern bright-as-the-sun lights, and try to replace with parts somewhat similar to the original. Oh, and if you haven't modified your car with a headlight relay, the full power for the headlights is routed through the low/high beam switch on the steering column, and that can burn out. An expensive repair.

Over on Pelican Parts there is a long thread about LED H4s for 911s. The gist seems to be that LED globes in the original housings really don't work very well, as you've seen. Some folks go for new housings, getting a much better light as a result, but you have to give up the fluted glass lenses, and I think the smooth clear ones look terrible on these classic cars. At a PCV meetup last year I met a guy who has some specialized LED units in his original housings, made by Classic Modern Porsche here in Melbourne. They looked great aesthetically and threw a lot of light. If I was going to try to go LED, I'd check those out.

I have leds in the boxster. They're from J.W. SPEAKER. They have two diodes at 180 on the stem. I've only been out in the dark four times so far. The first time i had the old windscreen with zillions of chips in it. I noticed the reflection of road signs on these chips dazzling the eyes. New windscreen wow, really nice light. So far i haven't had any flashes from oncoming traffic and they don't light up the rear screen of traffic ahead of me.

There are a couple of small shaded patches but it's close to the front of the car so no big deal. Ventilation of the heatsink could be a problem if not well considered IMO.

I'll be trying the LEDs (very successful on my 356) and also the highly praised Phillips Extreme '130' H4s https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Philips-H4-X-treme-extreme-xtreme-Vision-Pair-2-Car-Bulbs-130-lamps/262466721533?epid=1337426659&hash=item3d1c3c56fd:g:8iIAAOSwpDdVXfBO 

Will be an interesting comparison.  The differences in quality of output and penetration between cheaply made and well made H4's in noticeable, reportedly.  I agree on the relays' addition to get maximum voltage at the light, for the H4s.  The draw of the LEDs is so low that it would not seem necessary.

Finally settled on this H4 globe... after all the variants I showed earlier with all the  extra intensity +90, +120, etc...I settled on one a little less powerful... +30 ! 

The LEDs are out and sold to a PFAer... and these babies are in.

will update post soon once I’ve had a night drive....

H4.1

Yes they seem to be ok (Phillips).  I put these into my daughters car.  Seem to be better quality.  @Philbee be aware that the brighter globes don't last as long as standard Halogens as they run pretty hot.  I have to put a new set into my daughters car about every 12 - 18 months.  Keep the old standard globes in the container for when one of the brighter globes blows as a temp fix and also buy another set (Phillips) when they are next on special at Autobarn or Super Cheap.

Another way to improve your lights (any light) that I have used is to add a relay (or two - Hi and Lo beam) in the head light buckets.  Cheap fix and the voltage and output to the lights is significantly increased. To test measure with your voltmeter the output at the head light connector and then the outputted from your battery.  A surprising difference due to the route that the current has to take through harness, switches, etc. Relays are a good way of getting the full voltage, at the bulb and using the switch - as a switch only.

On 26/07/2019 at 17:30, Philbee said:

Finally settled on this H4 globe... after all the variants I showed earlier with all the  extra intensity +90, +120, etc...I settled on one a little less powerful... +30 ! 

The LEDs are out and sold to a PFAer... and these babies are in.

will update post soon once I’ve had a night drive....

Took a quick look early evening tonight.... they look great. A nice warm yellow light with great definition of light and dark areas of light  in the lens ... they do appear a little brighter, which is great. Very happy.... 😊

Hoping  @Lucky Phil is wrong and they last for a good long bunch of years! Fingers crossed.