Can you upgrade a 991.1 to have asport design wheel with paddles

Stu

I’m looking at getting into a 991.1 4S and lots of the cars have buttons on the steering wheel not the paddles on the sport design wheel which I like. I presume you can change the wheel but can anybody confirm that. And would it be a crazy cost for the sport design steering wheel and labour?

Hi Stu, yes you can. I have a 2014 C2 and I had mine upgraded to the paddleshift wheel. As well as changing the wheel, a new stalk assembly is required as well as the rotary knob on the button wheel that controls the multifunction display, needs to be replaced with a stalk. So I went from having 3 stalks to 4.

i had my work done in London by an official Porsche centre, so my price is not really relevant here. However if you look at Porsche accessories on the Aus website it should give you a price for a sport design wheel.

cheers Antony

To provide some idea of cost, Suncoast sell the Sport Design steering wheel for US$1,450 plus another US$500 for the steering column stalk to control the functions previously handled by the multi function steering wheel - dealer fitting and programming is required so all up likely to be an expensive exercise. With shipping & GST, it may be more economical to buy locally. From the Suncoast website:

Important Notes: VIN number required to order. If your car currently has heating or multifunction, you will lose those options and dealer installation and programming will be required to add this steering wheel. Multifunction controls will now be controlled by a new stalk on the steering column. If your car doesn't have steering wheel heating or multifunction, then this will be a steering wheel swap only. Airbag is not included, you can reuse your existing airbag. Available for cars with PDK or 7-Speed manual transmissions.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I’m looking at getting into a 991.1 4S and lots of the cars have buttons on the steering wheel not the paddles on the sport design wheel which I like. I presume you can change the wheel but can anybody confirm that. And would it be a crazy cost for the sport design steering wheel and labour?

I have a brand new in box sport design wheel and matching pdk shifter in alcantara which I no longer need and could fit a 991.1. I can get you the part numbers to check if you're interested, send me a pm. 

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Hi Stu,

Glad to hear you’re near rejoining the fold. Most PDK owners I have spoken to say 99% of the time they leave the box in auto as it always knows better than they do which gear to be in. Even the track guys ( who are honest) leave it in auto. So maybe the buttons are not such an issue, if gear changing is your thing then maybe a manual? If it’s a daily in Sydney then PDK.

Offers still there if you want to drive my 991.2 manual.

I thought of doing this with mine but due to the cost decided not to implement the change. Now I just use the gear lever in manual to change up and down (rather than the buttons) when I want the manual experience.  After a short while you get used to it and now I prefer using the gear stick but must admit when on a spirited run, I just leave it in auto, as the PDK auto seems to know when to change up and down far better and more precisely than me.

4 hours ago, GC9911 said:

Hi Stu,

Glad to hear you’re near rejoining the fold. Most PDK owners I have spoken to say 99% of the time they leave the box in auto as it always knows better than they do which gear to be in. Even the track guys ( who are honest) leave it in auto. So maybe the buttons are not such an issue, if gear changing is your thing then maybe a manual? If it’s a daily in Sydney then PDK.

Offers still there if you want to drive my 991.2 manual.

Hey mate, yes very excited but have not done the deal. Thanks again for the duper kind offer. Hoping to be in berry in the next few weeks so will message you.

yea you are probably right with the button paddle thing. I just like the idea of them 🤣 

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I thought of doing this with mine but due to the cost decided not to implement the change. Now I just use the gear lever in manual to change up and down (rather than the buttons) when I want the manual experience.  After a short while you get used to it and now I prefer using the gear stick but must admit when on a spirited run, I just leave it in auto, as the PDK auto seems to know when to change up and down far better and more precisely than me.

Thanks mate - The PDK would certainly know better than me! 

On 25/07/2019 at 22:06, nytelfer said:

To provide some idea of cost, Suncoast sell the Sport Design steering wheel for US$1,450 plus another US$500 for the steering column stalk to control the functions previously handled by the multi function steering wheel - dealer fitting and programming is required so all up likely to be an expensive exercise. With shipping & GST, it may be more economical to buy locally. From the Suncoast website:

Important Notes: VIN number required to order. If your car currently has heating or multifunction, you will lose those options and dealer installation and programming will be required to add this steering wheel. Multifunction controls will now be controlled by a new stalk on the steering column. If your car doesn't have steering wheel heating or multifunction, then this will be a steering wheel swap only. Airbag is not included, you can reuse your existing airbag. Available for cars with PDK or 7-Speed manual transmissions.

Thanks for the detailed info!

• 1 year later...
On 26/07/2019 at 22:25, Stu said:

Hey mate, yes very excited but have not done the deal. Thanks again for the duper kind offer. Hoping to be in berry in the next few weeks so will message you.

yea you are probably right with the button paddle thing. I just like the idea of them 🤣 

Thanks mate - The PDK would certainly know better than me! 

Thanks for the detailed info!

Is there some where in Melbourne that will install it if you purchase it from Southcoast?

1 minute ago, P-Kay said:

PCM or any other independant - Depends if you have the extended warranty on your car - if so, then I recommend one of the main dealers ;) 

Thanks. I just wasn't sure whether Porsche Brighton would want to do it.

• 6 months later...