Anyone still using these?

Merv

I removed this yesterday for two reasons.  One, it seemed a good way to conserve engine heat and second I wanted to see any motor leaks.  Of the latter, this is the driest motor and 'box  I have ever seen on a 911.  Not even a smudge of oil.  Seems wrong somehow.

However, the engine tray is a well make piece of kit and that made me wonder if they have their use?

IMG_20190729_205225.jpg

Interesting Chris.  I assume a 911 Speedster?  This device is very well made and fits perfectly on to the slots available.  It is made of some kind of moulded hi temp materials with a fibre in there as well.  It is now cleaned and stored for the time being.  I wonder why there are not more of them in Australia with our gravel roads in many places.

I did!  Just to be sure. 😁  The engine was refreshed with rings, con rod bearings, head polish, valves and guides, etc 5,000kms ago, so there shouldn't be any leaks.  I hate leaks.

The 3.2 L engine under tray ,   It was a factory fit for only 2 countries  ( that I am aware of )

Part number 930 119 007 01
Countries  }  ( Aus )  = Australia  & (  CH  )  = Switzerland , it was the Swiss noise regulations that these under trays were designed to help make the car comply & Australia got them as well , probably because the ADR rules for Australia may of been interpreted by Porsche as being near as strict as Switzerland 

Years installed } 1987-1989 ( inclusive )   & only on the 3.2 NA engine  ( not the 911 Turbo ) and besides, Australia did not receive the 911 Turbo anyway from 1986-1990

From memory , the early 1987 version had no extra high temp sound insulation stuck onto the inside of the tray , but the 1988 & 1989 ones had the extra ( noise control ) high temp sound insulation ( black padding ) glued to the inside of it & this extra insulation would soak up the oil leaks ( until saturated ) and caused extra oil smells with the engine hot & more customer complaints when the cars were a few years old & then there was plenty more that were ripped off / cracked / torn by the owner reversing into things & they were just discarded

Also in hot weather ( with the tray in place ) the engine temperature in city driving or high RPM spirited driving  , would and could get very very high , because the tray was an air restrictor in its own right .

The 964 also received a under engine tray 964 119 029 04 or 31 , but was far more elaborate & like the above cars , within a few years from new they were removed permanently as well  

Thanks for this.  Nice to read all the details of a rare part it seems.  I noticed that the metal attachment brackets on it obstruct the rear of the oil cooler and generally restrict air flow around the engine.  It is solid however and on gravel roads or roads with salt and slow it could be of value if cleaned regularly.  Mine has no insulation. The part is well made and looks fine when installed.

Here it is https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/pet/porsche/911/12/105100/