The great Porsche confusion!

JD!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hugh, I can confirm that the Gulf car has been in the Autohaus Hamilton workshop recently.

I don't see a rego for the white and red car, so I can't tell you anything about that one.

You'll understand I'm reluctant to give details - not because there is anything to hide, it's just that I'm not sure that I'd be too tickled with the history of a car that I owned being discussed in a public forum.

Jamie, if you want to know more about the car's history at Autohaus Hamilton, give Rob a call on (O2) 99O5 1455

James

Thanks so much for this James, you guys are great. I feel like an adopted child already...!

I will give Rob a call.

I will also test drive a 964 ASAP and then see if I can test drive an older one, I need the perspective....

New question -

Q: How hard is it / worthwhile to convert a carreara 4 to a carreara 2 ;) - in responce to this car, as I love the colour and look of her... - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-911-carrera-1989-13266047

Also, how is this car $1450k?

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/porsche-911-carrera-1993-13711366

Thanks so much for this James, you guys are great. I feel like an adopted child already...!

I will give Rob a call.

I will also test drive a 964 ASAP and then see if I can test drive an older one, I need the perspective....

New question -

Q: How hard is it / worthwhile to convert a carreara 4 to a carreara 2 ;) - in responce to this car, as I love the colour and look of her... - http://www.carsales....a-1989-13266047

Also, how is this car $1450k?

http://www.carsales....a-1993-13711366

Should not even be taken into consideration!!!!!

If it was a 993 it could be converted to a rear wheel drive very quickly and innexpensively.

The 964 C4 system is much more complicated and integrated. Don't even think about it!

Should not even be taken into consideration!!!!!

If it was a 993 it could be converted to a rear wheel drive very quickly and innexpensively.

The 964 C4 system is much more complicated and integrated. Don't even think about it!

Thanks for that, I though I read somewhere that it could be done easily, but it must have been in reference to the 993!

I have had my eye on that since it was first listed, wish I had room!

Hugh, I can confirm that the Gulf car has been in the Autohaus Hamilton workshop recently.

I don't see a rego for the white and red car, so I can't tell you anything about that one.

You'll understand I'm reluctant to give details - not because there is anything to hide, it's just that I'm not sure that I'd be too tickled with the history of a car that I owned being discussed in a public forum.

Jamie, if you want to know more about the car's history at Autohaus Hamilton, give Rob a call on (O2) 99O5 1455

James

I had a feeling you would have the 411 on the 911. Your the man!

Is it true that every Porsche delivered to the US resides in California?

The KILLER point is however... and wait for it...

I have no off street parking.

I KNOW I KNOW

in the elements out on the street? If its for the weekends budget for a secure park, may pay for itself in regards to insurance. Shame to risk any of the nice cars your looking at to the street.

Im with Hugh, these cars attract attention, if not from idiots walking past it will attract, especially after you wash it pollen, dust and in one case when driving in cavers open roof Boxter - a bloody tree branch (small yet scared the crap out of me). you don't even want the slightest blemish on a beautiful and clean 911.

Would be better off renting a garage from a neighbour who does not use theirs.

JD, rust is one of your biggest threats with the 901s.

And valuing a backdate can be hard because it depends on the amount of work done and the quality of the work done.

My 2c worth.

exactly, this is what I was touching on in my earlier post. It has become rather common (and very fashionable) to back date mid 911's (unlike in the 90's when everone was updating!). So much so that there are a lot of folk doing it to turn a profit, refurb is cosmetic only with paint, wheels and some stickers. In my opinion the usual place for these to be let down is in the interior, some do it properly (seats, door trims etc.) but many don't touch and I feel this generally let's the car down. For comparison, you could pick up a clean 3.2 Carrera for under 40k and still have some change to make your own mods? Unless you buy a 964, that's a whole different thing altogether!

Im with Hugh, these cars attract attention, if not from idiots walking past it will attract, especially after you wash it pollen, dust and in one case when driving in cavers open roof Boxter - a bloody tree branch (small yet scared the crap out of me). you don't even want the slightest blemish on a beautiful and clean 911.

Would be better off renting a garage from a neighbour who does not use theirs.

I wouldn't leave a postie on the street for a night. This is a serious consideration for any car ownership in my opinion.

exactly, this is what I was touching on in my earlier post. It has become rather common (and very fashionable) to back date mid 911's (unlike in the 90's when everone was updating!). So much so that there are a lot of folk doing it to turn a profit, refurb is cosmetic only with paint, wheels and some stickers. In my opinion the usual place for these to be let down is in the interior, some do it properly (seats, door trims etc.) but many don't touch and I feel this generally let's the car down. For comparison, you could pick up a clean 3.2 Carrera for under 40k and still have some change to make your own mods? Unless you buy a 964, that's a whole different thing altogether!

That's a very interesting point, I was reading one of my old Porsche mags last night and they said how bulletproof the 3.2 Carrera is... that may be worth doing the maths...

I wouldn't leave a postie on the street for a night. This is a serious consideration for any car ownership in my opinion.

It is a problems and has never been ideal. I live in East Melbourne, so a 'nice' suburb but when the footy is on at the MCG, there are a lot of people around! We have never had any issues with the BMWs but I know that a Porsche is going to attract more attention.

I used to however live in Sth Yarra, in Leopold street and there was a neighbour that had a 993 that he left on the street as there was no off street parking. Over four years, he never had any problems. I conversely back in those days had a Subaru wagon and it was kicked by some drunk on the way home from the Botanical...

Good idea to ask a neighbour for a garage, that may help. One of my neighbours has a car collection and is a great bloke, he will have an idea!

I would feel better about leaving a 964 on the street that a '70s car...

I would feel better about leaving a 964 on the street that a '70s car...

My main concern is the longer term effects from not having the car stored out of the elements. Your BMW, neighbours 993 ect. are all newer cars, less susceptible to wear as a result of moisture causing (or increasing) in worse cases corrosion to the body. Early 70's cars are not galvanised and much more prone to rust (as Douglas mentions). Yes it could be vandalised but this can happen anywhere but there is still the risk- probably why we dont see many classic Porsches left out on the street.

When you buy your new baby you will soon realise the attention it receives and start feeling guilty for leaving it out in the cold. Your wife will be getting tired of you running out the door every 5 min to whip the bird poo off!

I hope this is all valued advice!

East Melb is a beautiful area, your neighbour looks like he has an interesting car collection too!

My main concern is the longer term effects from not having the car stored out of the elements. Your BMW, neighbours 993 ect. are all newer cars, less susceptible to wear as a result of moisture causing (or increasing) in worse cases corrosion to the body. Early 70's cars are not galvanised and much more prone to rust (as Douglas mentions). Yes it could be vandalised but this can happen anywhere but there is still the risk- probably why we dont see many classic Porsches left out on the street.

When you buy your new baby you will soon realise the attention it receives and start feeling guilty for leaving it out in the cold. Your wife will be getting tired of you running out the door every 5 min to whip the bird poo off!

I hope this is all valued advice!

East Melb is a beautiful area, your neighbour looks like he has an interesting car collection too!

I have been know to run out and clean the BMWs from the pain of bird poo, can't imagine what I would be like with a P car...

The neighbour has about six cars, all very unique!

No! That would be just ridiculous.

However, it is a fact ('cause I am about to write it on the Interwebz) that every Porsche that leaves the US is a 100% rust free California car. B)

I should have put an emoticon thingy after my question James...but I was posting from an iPad.

I was not expecting anyone to answer.

No! That would be just ridiculous.

However, it is a fact ('cause I am about to write it on the Interwebz) that every Porsche that leaves the US is a 100% rust free California car. B)

They're not all California cars...

My 911 avoided LA LA land and managed to get all the way to Arizona. After 10 years wandering in the desert hitched a ride to sunny Melbourne. Now hiding out at my place.

That's a very interesting point, I was reading one of my old Porsche mags last night and they said how bulletproof the 3.2 Carrera is... that may be worth doing the maths...

I'd sell you mine but you would have to buy it within next 48 hours as I would love to buy the white RS recreation off Wayne. :D

Well Randall after that comment I called Wayne :P , seems like a straight up guy and very nice. As the way these things go, he said a guy was on the phone this morning from Canberra, and was driving up to him today to have a look. I said I would call and chat to him later on in the day to see what the result was, as if that fell through, I was IN.

However, the other guy threw down a deposit, and pending the PPI that car's gone!

Well, it's the first step, and I am sure there will be more... No rush I need to tell myself!

Archived