All German Day 2021, Newcastle May 8th

Port 911

Ok people I know we only just got home from Luftwasser, and some are still on there way home. I was only informed over the weekend that this event was on again. The All German Day on The Newcastle Foreshore Saturday the 8th of May 2021. http://www.mbccc.org.au/.../mbccc-annual-showcase-event.../
For those that are keen, we will be leaving from the Port Macquarie area on the Friday morning and making a day of it. Driving up the Oxley Hwy, and yes it is true 75k of 35k corners Porsche heaven. Then turning into Thunderbolts way heading towards Gloucester, then more back road almost all the way to Newcastle. We will be staying overnight in Newcastle the Friday Night as the All German day is on the Saturday.
Thanks again for everyone involved in Luftwasser, it was awesome and we are looking forward to next year already.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Due to road closures at this time, the drive down to this event will need to be re-planed, we will need to use Hwy for at least some but only where we have to. 

The Oxley I think will be out of the question.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2021 at 16:30, Port 911 said:

Hi All

Due to road closures at this time, the drive down to this event will need to be re-planed, we will need to use Hwy for at least some but only where we have to. 

The Oxley I think will be out of the question.

I'm on the government group managing the reconstruction of the Oxley... Around 30,000 tonnes of 'difficult' soils to move.  It's going to be out 3 months before even one lane is open on lights.  Possibly years before a safe counterflowing highway is achieved :(

• 3 weeks later...

Transport for NSW don't even know themselves when it will open to any traffic at all

There are a couple slips still moving and as recent as Thursday night new slip cracking was evident in the pavement of one curve.

• 2 months later...

Oxley is now open with single lanes and lights.  That's the 'get it open' obligations met... But I wonder how long before we have a functioning counter-flow highway?  The other good news is the Gingers Creek Roadhouse opened this week also!  That's a business that's been smashed in the last two years - will be good to offer it a bit of patronage.

John,

When I was down there earlier this month for their media event they were talking 2 years before it is fully back to 2 lanes.    Fortunately all the single lane stuff is concentrated around and to the east of the Mt Seaview area so there is still plenty of good stuff to the west up to Gingers and beyond.

I was also pleasantly surprised how clean the road surface was with everything west of Nodingbul Road intersection , where the real western road closure was placed, spotless and the section from Nodingbul to Mt Seaview not too bad at all and should be pretty clean again soon.

Probably the big surprise to me was that they are talking about closing the road temporarily any time there is heavy rain in the future.  They haven't worked out the details yet but they expect further landslides to occur if there is enough rain.

Good to hear Gingers has opened yet again.

In the latest AMCN, they nominate the Oxley as NSW's greatest motorcycling road.  I still like the Putty but I can't really argue against them to strongly!  

@Peter M Yes I was also informed we're looking at at-least a couple years before we see full counterflow.  The soil type is highly erosive and the steep slope combined with rainfall means it will probably continue to slip randomly.  I think they will reinforce and pin some of the really dangerous sections, but otherwise they'll wait and see. 

I might try and find a few hours to do a bit of a mid-week recce and coffee at Gingers :D

13 hours ago, Fishcop said:

@Peter M Yes I was also informed we're looking at at-least a couple years before we see full counterflow.  The soil type is highly erosive and the steep slope combined with rainfall means it will probably continue to slip randomly.  I think they will reinforce and pin some of the really dangerous sections, but otherwise they'll wait and see. 

I might try and find a few hours to do a bit of a mid-week recce and coffee at Gingers :D

Hi John

I'm sure we could get a few together to help with the recon, Steve, Phil and myself could do a mid week. 

4 hours ago, Port 911 said:

Ok @Peter M  , Paul is talking this coming Tuesday meeting at the service centre Port at 8.30am, could get those going to Long Flat around 9am.

@Fishcop 

Jezus Rickie, you don't mess around!

I'll have to get back to you on Sunday as I need to reassemble my car this weekend!

Where are you having lunch? Walcha and then back down TBW?

@sus911

12 hours ago, Peter M said:

Jezus Rickie, you don't mess around!

I'll have to get back to you on Sunday as I need to reassemble my car this weekend!

Where are you having lunch? Walcha and then back down TBW?

@sus911

We are having lunch/morning tea at Gingers, give them a little support from the locals. Phil is now heading down the snowy's as of today, last minute window opened and he jumped.

On 23/07/2021 at 07:20, Port 911 said:

We are having lunch/morning tea at Gingers, give them a little support from the locals. Phil is now heading down the snowy's as of today, last minute window opened and he jumped.

Well I did SFA to my car today so it is no closer to being driveable so I have to catch you and Paul next time.

If you do happen to be running late and have an early lunch in Walcha, probably recommend Cafe Graze for a Tuesday visit, I can manage that!  0436 four22 102

Not all bad, @OZ930 was inspired to finally finish his 4 month project to fit new numberplates on his!

10 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Not all bad, @OZ930 was inspired to finally finish his 4 month project to fit new numberplates on his!

You spoke too soon.  I was doing a tidy up final fit and snapped a head off a stainless steel screw which is now embedded in the rear bumper...🤬🤬

...and I'm sure it's closer to 10 months.  It's a very complicated procedure, just made worse. 🤐

12 hours ago, Peter M said:

Well I did SFA to my car today so it is no closer to being driveable so I have to catch you and Paul next time.

If you do happen to be running late and have an early lunch in Walcha, probably recommend Cafe Graze for a Tuesday visit, I can manage that!  0436 four22 102

Looks like there has been some more trees down with all the winds, and along with vehicle issues we will pompon this run till another later date.