PCV @ Phillip Island - Feb 2013

tungatina64

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A third GT3 hit the dust later in the day!

I have some pics which I shall load later.

Fantastic day.....not as much track time as normal due to delays caused by accidents, but most importantly no serious injury.

Great photos guys. Vas sorry I missed you today. I think the 3rd crash was a 996 turbo which hit the tyre wall at the hay shed. Fortunately, all the drivers got out OK.

Mike it's a shame you had to leave early. A few had gone home so we managed extra sessions right up to 4:30 which made up for the crash delays. I have a lot to learn. Great fun though.

Special mention to the 2 geese that were hit in the first session. One was cleaned up by a 993 turbo and the other was hit by a side mirror. They do a lot of damage!

That's shocking, I saw a few geese at the track.

Sorry I missed you today, I had some stuff to do.

Next time.  :)

Great shots Vas & Peter, nice work.

It rained for me most of the way down but once at the track the sun was out and it was warm. Great to catch up Vas, Harvs & Mike - only just missed you Peter but we got a wave in!

Glad both of you gents didnt add to the carnage, the secret must be those hotdogs!

Great shots Vas & Peter, nice work.

It rained for me most of the way down but once at the track the sun was out and it was warm. Great to catch up Vas, Harvs & Mike - only just missed you Peter but we got a wave in!

Glad both of you gents didnt add to the carnage, the secret must be those hotdogs!

Yep, hot dogs, the new super food. Good to catch up today Hugh. Actually ,I came close to losing it at the same spot where the GT3 rolled over. I had 2 wheels in the dirt and somehow got thru-a few deep breaths after that one.

I am likely in the minority here but I am not a fan of posting post crash photos in the public arena. In terms of the other GT3 that landed on its roof, it happened just after Siberia right in front of me. Very nasty incident. I helped to extract the driver out through the driver's-side window while my fellow marshall unloaded the contents of his fire extinguisher as it smelt like the car was going to ignite. Fortunately, it seemed that the driver only suffered minor injuries undoubtedly helped by the fact that he is extremely fit. Very unusual accident, that the driver was unable to explain and had no idea what happened. The new surface is apparently causing a lot more tyre wear and judging by the tyre marks left at the scene, it may be the case that one of his tyres may have delaminated.

A third GT3 hit the dust later in the day!

I have some pics which I shall load later.

Fantastic day.....not as much track time as normal due to delays caused by accidents, but most importantly no serious injury.

Don't know of the third GT3, I know of a 996 Turbo that we called in after it hit the tyre barriers hard just after lunch.

my mistake, as only heard from someone else that the third was a GT3.

Sorry if I have caused issues with posting pic of the crash.....have learnt my lesson.

tdc911 - thankyou very much for marshalling on the day, we wouldn't have a day to enjoy without you.

I don’t see a problem with crash photos being posted. If you are doing these events you expect to have pics taken showing the good & the
bad. Perhaps No. plates could be obscured for some privacy?

Agree with the thanks to Marshalls. Without them doing the job in all conditions we don’t get to play.

Fully agree Barry. The cars get driven on track where members on the public attend and take copious amounts of photos.

I for one welcome photos from all different circumstances including crash photos.

They are an important reminder that racing around a track is not a game and is serious stuff. 

My 2cents.

I have had the photos that I posted removed anyway.

However the crashes were certainly a stark reminder of what can easily happen. I think that the cars that crashed, had full cages. Goodness knows what would have happened to those of us without that level of inbuilt safety feature.

I've also given this a bit of thought this afternoon and concluded that - track days are a public spectacle.

There are no restrictions from the PCV as to who can attend as audience, or on the photography of what they see and record. I agree that showing images of what can happen to well seasoned and experienced track drivers is a saliant reminder to all. Out of respect to the driver, I think that it is reasonable that their identity is best left out, and possibly their rego plate, but as to what is potentially an embarrassing incident to the driver, is also a poignant signpost to us all. Many of us love our track days, but images like this remind us of what can happen, and I for one am happy of the sobering reminder of what would happen to me, and my car, should I push it too hard.

As moderators we will continue to monitor images that are uploaded to the PFA, but I, personally, have seen nothing of concern today. I'd be interested to hear from the other moderators about this (they can see the deleted images) to hear their perspective, especially one of us who has photographed more trackdays than I've had hot dinners!!! LOL!

Ultimately it is up to the common sense of member, and I rarely have cause to disagree with their discretion.

Kerry

Well said Kez and I completely agree with you. I personally feel its a very sobering reminder of what can happen and it should not be hidden. But certainly I understand that it could lead to some embarrassment but if the number plate is hidden and the identity of the driver is not disclosed i am very comfortable with pictures like these being shown....

Archived