PCV @ Phillip Island - Feb 2013

tungatina64

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had the photos that I posted removed anyway.

However the crashes were certainly a stark reminder of what can easily happen. I think that the cars that crashed, had full cages. Goodness knows what would have happened to those of us without that level of inbuilt safety feature.

Like a few have already said, these events are conducted in public and as such photos can and should all be free to post. Obscuring number plates is another issue. No wrong doing in driving on a track so I don't see any liability problems here. ( my completely untrained opinion)

[edit] btw the PCV don't bother to obscure number plates on their photos page

From what I saw of the GT3 that rolled, i couldn't see a roll cage. And despite the roof being flattened, the side structure above the windows looked very straight. These things are built tough.

Wow, I would like to add my 2 cents worth on this topic,as I took a couple of the photos of the car, as I thought it was pretty graphic lesson of what can happen, when it goes wrong. At no stage was this intended in any way to discredit the driver, who by the way put in a pretty good effort to try and stop the thing. I would suggest it could have been a whole lot worse without his efforts. But let me explain what struck me.

when it happened I was on the roof of the pits talking to some guys doing Entree for the first time. They were excited, nervous and pumped...watching the events that unfolded was an incredible lesson to them and I would add every driver and spectator there.....there was a palpable change to the atmosphere.

I know I drove home with a different attitude.

Peter

I can tell

Am I correct in assuming there is no insurance cover on your car if you take it on the track and wreck it (Harvs / Mike)?

Would there be any options for experienced drivers, even if the premiums were horrific? 

If you had a GT3 and the cash to set it up for track, I suppose you first decide whether you can live with the worst case scenario of writing it off and blowing your dough  :unsure:

A friend of mine has track insurance on his cars but I don't know what it costs him.I raced one of his cars for a couple of years and when I expressed concern that damage may occur at some point he just said "Go for it. It's insured." Consequently I drove the wheels off the thing.

Generally though most guys don’t have their car covered. But if you can’t afford to lose it then perhaps you shouldn’t race it.
Stuff does & will happen.

A friend of mine has track insurance on his cars but I don't know what it costs him.I raced one of his cars for a couple of years and when I expressed concern that damage may occur at some point he just said "Go for it. It's insured." Consequently I drove the wheels off the thing.

Generally though most guys don’t have their car covered. But if you can’t afford to lose it then perhaps you shouldn’t race it.

Stuff does & will happen.

I tried to find insurance a while back - no luck.  Shannons had a policy for "historic" race cars, mine doesn't qualify.

If you could get the name of his insurer it would be much appreciated.

Wow!.....what a good friend Barry. Best of both worlds; not your car and insured for damage :ph34r:

I've always longed to test my girl on the track but wouldn't be too happy if I broke something; let alone got injured.  Probably best for me given confidence often overlooks competence when the testosterone starts to flow.

I agree that you need to be prepared for a worst case scenario. I also agree that there are obvious risks on the track but would also add that the road can be much worse (in my opinion).

The track days run by clubs like the PCV etc. are a great way for you to explore your car (within your limitations!). As expressed here they are well run and organised but most importantly create a 'safe' environment for you to better learn your car and its capabilities.

I would hate to see some of the people hear be turned off to what can be such a great day with you and your car - like anything it just comes down to the individual taking some responsibility. I personally feel it is worth the risk, thats why I bought my car in first place - a risk in its self!

Sorry just went back on this thread, re crashes being published.

As an old CAMS photographer, and a lover of most motor sport, the disclaimer on your ticket or pass says it all.

"Motor sport is dangerous" Crashes are part and parcel of motor sport, that's what a lot of people want to see like that or not,(v8 ute series prime example)

As a photographer out there trying to sell photos to the publications, you hope to catch that special shot....a wheel up, a big flame out the back, etc and unfortunately the odd crash happening. That doesn't mean we want too see any injuries or worse. But that special photo is what you always strive for. I personally would not have a problem if photos of my old Datto,s were published if i came to grief.

I know the PCV used to have a restriction on publishing crash photos, because it may upset wives, g/f's etc. that's up to them and I respect that. But to me....it's all part of the excitement of the sport. And...it is a reality check for the competitors who think they are bullet proof.

Sorry if I upset anyone there just MHO.

If you want to try your car on the track, enter in Entree which will give you an idea without the pressure of racing for a time.   The 'Sibrerian' roll over is out doing the 100k walk on the Great Ocean Road at the moment and seems to be ok.   A very experienced driver. If anyone wants a closer look at the cars on the track come an join my wonderful team of marshalls.   If you still feel inclined to put a car on the track, we offer half marshall and half track.    The team works hard and in all types of weather as Tristan, Peter and Chris can attest but they are a fabulous group.    

Photos ... hmmm ... as CoC we prefer to not publish until the 'victim' is sorted.    But as Niko pointed out, it is a public arena and there is nothing to stop 'Joe Public' from taking and publishing.    As a steward, I do have to take photos but they are for the driver and the club, especially if there is an inquiry.   It also helps to go back to after the fact and the adrenalin has worn off.     I think it is at the discretion of the photographer (personal opinion).  

Geese ...(shades of the AAMI ad) I estimated they weigh in at about 40 to 60 kg and the ones at the island are well fed.    If the window was up, it may not have broken the driver's hand but then, the upside down  needed to get out and the down window was his escape.

Insurance... if you can get it, is very expensive.    Most policies have a clause that car cannot be used on track.    A couple get around it with 'driver training' but that may have been worked out of the policies by now.

Vas ... I think I have met you at Brighton, thanks for keeping Greg company too.    

On another note, I think I was rather pleased to be at a horse-power event of the 1HP variety, even though our judge forgot to arrive.    I only managed to take out a rope gate and a cone, as well as provide some light entertainment..... :o    

Remember, I am always looking for volunteers.....  :D  :D

Hi Robin,

I heard that you were going to be at a different kind of horsepower event. Hope it went well. G tells me you have a few coming up, that's good and certainly I imagine a different sort of comp to what we are used to.

Really awful to have so many incidents at the one event, especially the first one for the year. Hope that's the years worth in one go.....

The geese issue is a worry. Surely that's something the PI management need to do something about. I bet there aren't any geese around when the moto gp is on.....

Was that G's car that rolled??

C

If you want to try your car on the track, enter in Entree which will give you an idea without the pressure of racing for a time.   The 'Sibrerian' roll over is out doing the 100k walk on the Great Ocean Road at the moment and seems to be ok.   A very experienced driver. If anyone wants a closer look at the cars on the track come an join my wonderful team of marshalls.   If you still feel inclined to put a car on the track, we offer half marshall and half track.    The team works hard and in all types of weather as Tristan, Peter and Chris can attest but they are a fabulous group.    

Photos ... hmmm ... as CoC we prefer to not publish until the 'victim' is sorted.    But as Niko pointed out, it is a public arena and there is nothing to stop 'Joe Public' from taking and publishing.    As a steward, I do have to take photos but they are for the driver and the club, especially if there is an inquiry.   It also helps to go back to after the fact and the adrenalin has worn off.     I think it is at the discretion of the photographer (personal opinion).  

Geese ...(shades of the AAMI ad) I estimated they weigh in at about 40 to 60 kg and the ones at the island are well fed.    If the window was up, it may not have broken the driver's hand but then, the upside down  needed to get out and the down window was his escape.

Insurance... if you can get it, is very expensive.    Most policies have a clause that car cannot be used on track.    A couple get around it with 'driver training' but that may have been worked out of the policies by now.

Vas ... I think I have met you at Brighton, thanks for keeping Greg company too.    

On another note, I think I was rather pleased to be at a horse-power event of the 1HP variety, even though our judge forgot to arrive.    I only managed to take out a rope gate and a cone, as well as provide some light entertainment..... :o    

Remember, I am always looking for volunteers.....  :D  :D

Thanks, Robin.

I was lucky enough to have a good chat with Greg.

He gave me some great advice on my GT3 search.

You can't beat talking to those who have done what you want.  :)

Thanks Chris, no it wasn't G's car.    He kept sending me sms and I was starting to get a bit concerned.   I know the first race of the year always brings out the adrenaline but .....    

Isn't it strange that you can race bikes  and no geese but there were a couple of strays at the last round of V8s who tried to cross the track.    There are wallabies too, Calder has them as well - had to remove them from there in the past and Winton has hares - that's an interesting exercise as they turn on threepence.

Vas, glad Greg could help you.    GT3's are his pet topic.

Peter, no it wasn't Nationals (they are end of May in Sydney).   It was still a 'AA' and she managed second in Pleasure and Trail - both are our weak events at the moment.    The judge was so late I left at 5 and she still hadn't started my speciality events.   A bit annoying.   Oh well.   Next one is Showcase ...... against the big guns again.

Really glad to hear it wasnt G's car. Feel sorry for the people involved it must be an awful feeling.

Interesting about the geese I wonder what they can do. Hitting something that weights 40 to 60kg would not be pleasant....

Good luck with the Gee gee's.

C

Archived