991 Purchase - Help for 1st Time Porsche buyer

Hi all, help please! First time Porsche buyer here. I'm keen to get into a 991 series for sub $200K.

I'm considering a 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S 991 Manual AWD  MY15 with 45K kilometres, advertised for $209,900 at Richmonds. Any thoughts on what price I should be negotiating this down to? And how much more this might depreciate before the price bottoms out? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2014-porsche-911-carrera-4s-991-manual-awd-my15/OAG-AD-19742189/?Cr=10

As a comparison point, there's this 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S 991 Auto with 22K kilometres, advertised privately for $168,500. So, much cheaper, and as much as I love manuals the auto would be more suited to my daily driving. Again, thoughts on what's a reasonable price and what this might depreciate to? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2012-porsche-911-carrera-s-991-auto/SSE-AD-7114772/?Cr=5

The depreciation side of things is an important point for me, as part of justifying the purchase to myself is wanting to know that when I come to sell, I'm hopefully either getting my money back or selling for more than the purchase price, so curious to hear where you think the sweet spot is with the most modern (sub $200K) Porsche you can get into that's finished depreciating. 

Very grateful for any thoughts you all have!

Unfortunately no such thing as a crystal ball! Otherwise we’d all be winning the lottery this week.

So many unknowns with regards to depreciation. The inside word is that this year depreciation will be almost unheard of, but as soon as car manufacturers get microchips and production goes back to normal then depreciation will be back to normal. If you want to minimise this then look for a good 911 T, 50th or any GT. Something a bit different 

Future appreciation is always the big unknown so the above comments are appropriate. A couple of further points - some observers comment the manual gearbox in the 991.1 as per the Richmond’s car is not Porsche’s best work - suggest you drive one to decide for yourself. The price on the Richmond’s car looks high for a 991.1, even if it is well specced - if you are after a C4S, this one appears better value, noting it is the newer 991.2 model with the 3 litre twin turbo motor - I won’t get into the NA 3.8 litre vs TT 3.0 litre engine debate but the PCM in the newer car is worth having for a daily driver

Buying a 991 thinking it won't depreciate is not realistic. You probably need to go 997.1 or older to get into the no depreciation club, but the trade off is you end up with an older car which is going to have older car issues (997.2 and 991 were a big step up in reliability).

I'm looking around for a 991.1 S myself with warranty still running and am budgeting around 7-10k in depreciation for the first 5 years putting around 15km on it a year. If it depreciates less than that I'm happy, but if not I won't be disappointed.

We had a great run on our 981 Boxster S we owned for just over 3 years under warranty, having lost around 7k a year in depreciation even when putting 15km on it a year. Pretty cheap motoring in my view for all the great trips we did in the car.

Having seen the market with all used cars in the last few months, everything is up, a lot. In my opinion anything you buy now, you are buying at the very top of the market and you have to be ready to take a big depreciation hit over the next 12 months or so when, as mentioned, production resumes and the market corrects.

I bought recently and know I paid around 15% more than I would have 9 months or so ago for the same car, but I justified that what I sold was up also which mitigated it some what. I still know it will hurt a bit more later though ;)