question re club plates in VIC

hi all

apologies if this question is in the wrong part of the forum, but wasnt quite sure where to post it.

in VIC, if i am buying a car privately from someone who has the car on normal rego and i put it on club plates, is it correct that i dont have to pay stamp duty?

but i still have to complete the  VIc Roads transfer of ownership forms?  and if so, are these forms to be done before i complete the Club plates forms or at the same time?

hope someone can clarify

Yes that is correct. No stamp duty as historic plates are not on the normal Vicroads system, although Vicroads manages them. If you then choose to register it normally with Vicroads later there is no stamp duty to transfer across.

You would do the normal Vicroads transfer forms to complete the purchase. Then you would get the classic historic registration forms signed with PCV or another car club and take those with the RWC to Vicroads to get the H number plates. The old registration plates would be handed back to Vicroads.

I don’t think so Phil. It’s more to do with registering a car with H plates with Vicroads. The rules might be slightly different in other states but that shouldn’t affect bringing a car to Victoria and registering as described. 

18 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Wow I was not aware of this.  That is a great bit of information to store away for later use.  @MattKHDoes it only apply for cars trading within the same state (i.e Vic to Vic)?  

I bought my car in WA and shipped it back to Victoria. Was a pleasant surprise not having to pay stamp duty when I went into VicRoads to pick up my H plates.

If you ever want to move a Club Permit vehicle to full registration in Victoria then the only time stamp duty is not payable is if the vehicle has previously been registered in your name. This info is available on the VicRoads website.

3 hours ago, RedMan said:

If you ever want to move a Club Permit vehicle to full registration in Victoria then the only time stamp duty is not payable is if the vehicle has previously been registered in your name. This info is available on the VicRoads website.

I've heard conflicting stories re this @RedMan.  I'm sure I've been told in the past that VicRoads simply don't change you stamps when you make the change.

Have you had first hand experience in having to pay stamps on changing from CPS to full rego? As it does seem to good to be true!

58 minutes ago, wilburforce said:

I've heard conflicting stories re this @RedMan.  I'm sure I've been told in the past that VicRoads simply don't change you stamps when you make the change.

Have you had first hand experience in having to pay stamps on changing from CPS to full rego? As it does seem to good to be true!

I haven’t had first hand experience but I have been involved with Club Permits since 2015. If you want to change your car from Club Permit to full Victorian registration then you are actually registering an unregistered car. The following is taken from the VicRoads instructions on registering an unregistered vehicle.

How much does it cost?

Use our fee calculator (on the right-hand side) to find out how much it costs to register your vehicle.

Here’s what you pay for:

• standard registration charge
  • number plate fee
  • Transport Accident Commission charge
  • motor vehicle duty fee 

You don’t have to pay motor vehicle duty if you’ve got evidence that your vehicle’s already been registered in your name in Australia.

Hope this helps.

On 02/06/2021 at 18:39, MattKH said:

I don’t think so Phil. It’s more to do with registering a car with H plates with Vicroads. The rules might be slightly different in other states but that shouldn’t affect bringing a car to Victoria and registering as described. 

I’ve bought a couple of cars interstate, shipped here and setup on club reg with no stamp duty.  I guess it’s a permit system to use an unregistered vehicle as opposed to “registration” so no stamps.  Big saving on expensive older cars.👌🏻

On 02/06/2021 at 16:26, Lucky Phil said:

Wow I was not aware of this.  That is a great bit of information to store away for later use.  @MattKHDoes it only apply for cars trading within the same state (i.e Vic to Vic)?  

So if you land a lambo miura  dont forget to join the lambo club of vic.  Returns better than a  rental property  with no  stamps going in and no capital gains going out.